Battery on Bosch Performance Shutoff when left in sun?

jasond1979

Hi the other day here in San Diego it was hot, left my bike in the sun for a couple of hours, when I got back I started peddleing and it died. I couldn't activate my bike again until I recharged the full battery and it reset. Is it possible that the battery has a temperature monitoring sensor in the case and it shuts itself off if it gets too hot?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Best

Jason

Hi the other day here in San Diego it was hot, left my bike in the sun for a couple of hours, when I got back I started peddleing and it died. I couldn't activate my bike again until I recharged the full battery and it reset. Is it possible that the battery has a temperature monitoring sensor in the case and it shuts itself off if it gets too hot?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Best

Jason
Yes, to protect your battery, the Bosch system does have temperature monitoring. It will prevent the battery from being charged or discharged while at extreme temperatures to help prolong the life of the cells in your battery.

I guess I don't have a problem with the automatic shutoff in extreme temeperatures but the problem was that it wouldn't reset even when the temperatures went down until i hooked it up to the charger again. Kind of made it hard to get home, without power.

If this happens again you might want to try pushing the power button on the power pack. I believe the heat shut down is at 140 degrees so it must have been really hot and in direct sunlight for the heat to build up like that.

I've been contemplating this issue lately, and am thinking of having a piece of insulated mylar that I can drape over the battery if left in sunlight. You can get it at the local home store. Otherwise, look for a shady place to park. Unfortunately, the black color that most people prefer on their battery packs is also the best at absorbing radiant heat.

If this happens again you might want to try pushing the power button on the power pack. I believe the heat shut down is at 140 degrees so it must have been really hot and in direct sunlight for the heat to build up like that.

The only thing that reset it was hooking it up to the charger. Pushing the button on the battery pack had no affect.

Back