Battery Level Accuracy

Ron from BC

2018 Pedego Interceptor. Recently we had to have the black plastic housing sleeve AND the black battery case replaced due to an attempted theft of the battery. Everything went well however the LED Battery Level on the battery goes down extremely quickly, 1 bar left after 10Km, while the display on the handlebar showed lots of bars.

As a test my wife went out for about 19Km and reported that the battery showed only one bar left. I asked her to continue home and I'd follow with the car in the event she ran out of juice She made it all the way home with a total distance of about 40 Km. The LED Battery indicator was completely dead....no lights whatsoever while the display on the handlebar showed 3 bars left, which is more consistent with that distance and her riding.

Needless to say she's not comfortable going out for any distance in particular if she takes the dog in the trailer if she can't rely on the remaining power. I called a local Pedego store and explained this He said that there is a circuit board for that LED indicator on the battery and they have replaced some in the past however he said the the battery indicator on the handlebar controller is more accurate than that LED bar on the battery itself.

Anyone experience this sort of problem or can attest to the 'reasonable' accuracy of the handlebar controller for remaining battery power?

Thanks in advance

Do yourself a favor and always confirm battery levels with a multimeter. Those led are “indicators”. A 10 cent gauge. It’s much easier to help with actual battery voltages.

Who refit the cells to the new case?

I have three Pedego Platinum Interceptors and a total of five batteries. The battery gauges never match the display gauge on any of them. I was told the same thing by Pedego tech support. The display gauge is definitely more accurate but it isn't linear. The first two bars represent about 60% of the battery capacity.

I don't care for bar gauges and much prefer a digital voltmeter. I use this one to tell the real battery condition:

There is also a free app for Android & iPhone called ESB that works with some early Pedego batteries.

Or for iPhone:

All 5 of my batteries were purchased in 2018 and some of the features of the app work fine. It will give you a real time readout of the battery voltage and % charge remaining.

Last edited:
Tx for your input. I agree with respect to the multimeter however I don't expect my retired wife to take/use one on her rides. She still loves her bike so I think I'll just get her another battery for her peace of mind.

I don't expect my retired wife to take/use one on her rides.
I sorry you read it that way. I’m suggesting YOU confirm charge levels. Not have someone do so on a ride. I’d take my wife’s bike for a ride and check voltages. Which is what I do.

Tx for your input. I agree with respect to the multimeter however I don't expect my retired wife to take/use one on her rides. She still loves her bike so I think I'll just get her another battery for her peace of mind.
That is the smart approach to relieving battery range anxiety. I almost always carry a spare. I use these Arkel panniers to carry mine. They are a good fit for the Pedego rectangular batteries:

I regularly check sierra.com for closeout panniers. I've gotten some great deals on Ortlieb gear!

Back