Battery dropping fast after charging. Hum ??? BOSCH Li ION PowerPack 500

A dealer will always have the ability through diagnostics to detect if your battery is unwell or draining too fast. Fear not!
If they buy the well overpriced capacity tester. I only paid 1/4 of the US dealer price for that thing in Germany.
The dealers will charge you an arm and a leg for just checking the battery.

If they buy the well overpriced capacity tester. I only paid 1/4 of the US dealer price for that thing in Germany.
The dealers will charge you an arm and a leg for just checking the battery.
There are ways through diagnostics without our BCT to inspect the battery for health and current performance.

Hi How do you do that: You can also always reset these statistics to factory standard through the settings of the display.

Thanks

Wildtrack: My bike as an Intuvia. I am not sure about what you mean by resetting. I do reset my speed, milleage and else ok but is there something else to do?

Wildtrack

Fully charge, my Intuvia display 128 km before starting my ride. Did a reset like you told me and instantly it dropped at 88km. How would you explain that ?

Did a reset like you told me and instantly it dropped at 88km. How would you explain that ?
As we explained before.
The range on the Bosch system is calculated every 1.5 miles of use.
You erased the memory of the last 1.5 miles of use. It has to start with some realistic range and starts calculating again as soon as you start riding.
It can not look into the future and know how you will be riding.

Those range numbers did start the longest threads in the German forum more than 10 years ago. My simple answer always was:
Don't ever look at that. Get a feeling for the 5 LEDs and you will know how far you can go.
Seriously.

Wildtrack

Fully charge, my Intuvia display 128 km before starting my ride. Did a reset like you told me and instantly it dropped at 88km. How would you explain that ?
One word; Default Algorithm….oops, two words.

My suggestion would be to get out and ride. With a little experience, you’ll become comfortable with estimating your range, and you’ll likely do a far better job than a bike computer that has no idea what is ahead of you. My Specialized Creo, using a Wahoo Roam computer, always shows 1 mile of range, yet I always make it home with battery to spare.

As we explained before.

You erased the memory of the last 1.5 miles of use. It has to start with some realistic range and starts calculating again as soon as you start riding.
It can not look into the future and know how you will be riding.

Those range numbers did start the longest threads in the German forum more than 10 years ago. My simple answer always was:
Don't ever look at that. Get a feeling for the 5 LEDs and you will know how far you can go.
Seriously.
I find them pretty reliable. they are always about 1 mile short of actual.

I find them pretty reliable. they are always about 1 mile short of actual.
Yes, that works if you are riding a pretty simple profile - continuous speed on a flat road.
If you are doing a lot of uphill and downhill, it will change all the time.

Just imagine this: you ride the last 15 km flat with tailwind over 25km/h (or 20Mph) with your battery below 10%. It will display a huge range since you are not using any juice.
Now you hit a hill and put in a full battery. It will display an enormous range (let's say 128km on Turbo or even more) as it still sees you are not using any juice but still going fast. But the 128km range will be a true less than 20km as you are going up that steep hill for the next 10km with average 12% grade (1200m elevation gain, pretty much the limit on one battery in Turbo depending on the total weigth).
Just check the Bosch range calculator for mor information.

Yes, that works if you are riding a pretty simple profile - continuous speed on a flat road.

Just imagine this: you ride the last 15 km flat with tailwind over 25km/h (or 20Mph) with your battery below 10%. It will display a huge range since you are not using any juice.
Now you hit a hill and put in a full battery. It will display an enormous range (let's say 128km on Turbo or even more) as it still sees you are not using any juice but still going fast. But the 128km range will be a true less than 20km as you are going up that steep hill for the next 10km with average 12% grade (1200m elevation gain, pretty much the limit on one battery in Turbo depending on the total weigth).
yes of course but thats the actual range if you keep it up. so experience is needed like anything else. now if you use the map on the nyon it will show you the range including the hills. so you have ot take it all in. but after time you know what those numbers will give you.

Very interresting comment. Thanks

but after time you know what those numbers will give you.
Correct. And for me it does not work anyway because my 400Wh batteries are 500Wh and one of the 500Wh is actually 1kWh. But after over 10 years with the Bosch, I do exactly know how many batteries I need on a camping weekend. But more important: I know exactly how far my ebike buddy can go on a battery by +/- 5%. Thus I know at what point we need to swap batteries between the bikes to have both batteries drained at the same spot, sometimes only 50m apart.

Do you trust the battery meter on the Intuvia or the lights on the battery itself?
Yes, that is the best way to figure out the remaining charge. You will get a feeling for how far you can go with each LED.
The last one is of course a little less as there is a reserve for the light left.
If there is only one LED left, it is time to get back home.
Since I am using the old Nyon since 2014, I can exactly see the percentage of the battery. That is what we look at on our rides.

Range depends on amount of assist, I guess the bike updates useage like cars measure fuel level via time, distance speed. Lots of variables. Temps too. Glad you got it working.

Back