Battery contacts and water spill

RMSDivine

We have washed our Superdelite and Delite bikes. When removing the batteries we have noticed that water entered the Superdelite's batteries "compartments", and also some water drops were found close to the battery plug in the Delite.
How is that water can easily reach these areas? Does it mean it is not recommended to use Ebikes when raining? Or?

Not familiar with your bikes but water at pressure from a nozzle coming from various angles is not the same as rain falling or riding through a puddle.
That said... I hate riding in the rain and avoid it for multiple reasons if possible.

Treat all connections and compartments with ACF50 or Boeshield.

These products are non conductive so be sure that you don't unplug things and spray this between electrical connections.
It's meant to be applied to the outside to prevent water from getting in.
That said I would think best applied before washing.

These products are non conductive so be sure that you don't unplug things and spray this between electrical connections.
It's meant to be applied to the outside to prevent water from getting in.
That said I would think best applied before washing.
actually they go directly on the terminals. they would do nothing if you sprayed them on the outside.

Do as you wish.
that's what its for to protect contacts from corrosion, nice little video showing how it works.
ACF-50 can be safely applied to electrical components such as alternators, starters, magnetos, generators, distributors, carburators, wiring, switches, rheostats, compressors, battery terminals, light bulb sockets, electrical connectors, circuit breakers, ignition systems, wire harnesses, etc.

Last edited:
that's what its for to protect contacts from corrosion, nice little video showing how it works.
ACF-50 can be safely applied to electrical components such as alternators, starters, magnetos, generators, distributors, carburators, wiring, switches, rheostats, compressors, battery terminals, light bulb sockets, electrical connectors, circuit breakers, ignition systems, wire harnesses, etc.

Yes, I've seen this.
You are still free to do as you like 😉

As someone who has worked in the electrical field, my experience is that over time these products cause problems.
If you do use them, I would use them sparingly and on outer areas to prevent water from entering.... and only if water is a problem. I wouldn't use it where I'm not having an issue with water.

As someone who has worked in the electrical field, my experience is that over time these products cause problems.
If you do use them, I would use them sparingly and on outer areas to prevent water from entering.... and only if water is a problem. I wouldn't use it where I'm not having an issue with water.
Seriously? Please cite any problems. Odd that you think they create issues. I first saw them when I worked for an FBO and aircraft/helicopter repair shop. The stuff is approved by aircraft manufacturers for use on avionics. I've used on dozens of bikes and for nearly 2 decades on electrical connections where additional protection was warranted. It's not a personal opinion. rather a suggestion based on decades of exposure and use of these products. It's ESPECIALLY useful on battery base and battery case connections. But I also use on every eBike connector.

Seriously? Please cite any problems. Odd that you think they create issues. I first saw them when I worked for an FBO and aircraft/helicopter repair shop. The stuff is approved by aircraft manufacturers for use on avionics. I've used on dozens of bikes and for nearly 2 decades on electrical connections where additional protection was warranted. It's not a personal opinion. rather a suggestion based on decades of exposure and use of these products. It's ESPECIALLY useful on battery base and battery case connections. But I also use on every eBike connector.

Yes Thomas, seriously.
These products either conduct electricity or not. Typically they do not and as such add a layer of resistance to a connection. This can be more of a problem if the connectors are not new and have been mated repeatedly and are worn. In high current connections this can be a big problem as the protection layer will burn if there is any arcing. Another problem is that amateurs will tend to over apply or apply repeatedly. This is a situation where more isn't better, especially if applying directly to electrical contacts.
Not to say that these products are not useful and in situations where water and contaminates are a real problem they are better than allowing these to enter a connection.
The theory behind the use of these products directly on a connection is that as you plug in a connector the mating conductors should be tight enough to scrape off the protection layer at the point of contact and leave the surrounding area with protection. Not always true... and that's where a problem can arise.
I've confirmed this with Boeshield, and they actually recommend spraying the outside of the connector, not the contacts.
I'm glad you have had good luck using them. But as I said I would only use them when necessary...and imho it's better to protect against water from entering and leave the connection point clean and clear of anything.

I hope I am allowed to have an opinion. . .

Yes... Manufacturers claims are many.
I saw one last night where they made a boat out of chicken wire and rubber sealant.
When I see end use manufactures such as an auto maker recommend your application I will accept that as fact.
I wish you continued success with it's use. 😉

That's really an unfair and inaccurate comparison. ACF is safe for use on avionics. Sold by most FBOs' with aircraft repair services. But won't work for you. Too bad.😜

MIL SPEC approved for ferrous and nonferrous metals, electrical systems and electronic components. CHEMICALLY NEUTRALISES corrosive environmental effects, including de-ice spray. EASILY APPLIED non-drying, ultra-thin, clear film.

That's really an unfair and inaccurate comparison. ACF is safe for use on avionics. Sold by most FBOs' with aircraft repair services. But won't work for you. Too bad.😜

MIL SPEC approved for ferrous and nonferrous metals, electrical systems and electronic components. CHEMICALLY NEUTRALISES corrosive environmental effects, including de-ice spray. EASILY APPLIED non-drying, ultra-thin, clear film.

Thomas yes it is widely used. But are you sure that they are using it on connection points? Or maybe as I suggested on the connection housing?
Yes safe for metals? But when arcing occurs such as on a worn connector because people keep unplugging it to spray this stuff in it?
It Leaves a Clear film!
Every thing I've read about electrical connections always state keep dry and clean. Quality contact cleaner always states, leaves no residue or film.

It's a very good product... But in MY OPINION there is no need to spray it on connection points. Protect the outside and the inside will follow.

Back