Battery confusion regarding Ah and A

ebikeLeon

Hi,

I'm a beginner who wants to learn but there is a jungle of different information out there which only confuses me.

I have 2 ebikes I want to optimize.
One Richbit RT-012 1000V with a 48V 17,5Ah battery and one Beinaidi fatbike with a 1500w hub motor and a 22Ah controller which I don't have a battery to yet.

I'm wondering about several things.

I know peak power on the controller is what you want the continuous rating of your battery pack to be.

BUT, should a battery be used by its capacity or its max current?
The capacity of the Panasonic GA 3.7V cell is 3.5Ah which in a 14s5p cell pack is 17,5Ah and the max current is 10A which becomes 50A right?
The 3.5ah and the 10A confuses me.

So I guess I should get a battery with 45A continuous rating?

I'm on thin ice here.

Also,
The picture shows my 48V 17,5Ah battery for my Richbit RT-012, it seems it have 6 cell groups in series and 10 cells in paralell but there is also 5 cells in a row..
This confuses me also.
What kind of setup is this?

I appreciate all help on the matter.

Attachments

• IMG_20200115_123051.jpg
    IMG_20200115_123051.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 336
A battery with a BMS capable of 30A continuous will be sufficient. A being output Ah being total potential.
A 48V battery is 13S in series. DOn't let individual cells rating confuse you.

A battery with a BMS capable of 30A continuous will be sufficient. A being output Ah being total potential.
A 48V battery is 13S in series. DOn't let individual cells rating confuse you.
What is the math behind it, how do I calculate that 30A is sufficient for a 1500w motor with a 45A peak controller?

And regarding the picture, it really looks like they have welded 10 cells in paralell just by looking at the nickel strips but I guess it have to be 13 cell groups for it to be 48V.
It's just looks strange how they have done it on that battery.

Last edited:
45A peak controller? You didn't tell Tom you had a 45A peak controller. Actually, you said 22AH, which I hope is a typo, Controllers are rate in amps.

Batteries are rated by both AH and amps. The former to denote capacity. The latter to tell you peak current. Sleazy sellers try not to tell you peak current when they use cheap cells, which may have the AH, but low peak amps.

I counted 13 cell groups from your picture. If you look at more batteries, you will see more easily how they are connected. You can see the 5 cells tied together at the top left. That's the end of the 13S stack, whether positive or negative would need a closer look.

Hi,

I must have edited and deleted it, and 22Ah was a typo, sorry about that.
It says Rated Current 22A and Peak Current 45A on my controller.
Thank you for the info!

Back