Battery compatibility

jfny1978

Region
USA
I have a jumbo shark battery that I bought from California Ebike last spring. I am thinking about getting a 2nd battery to be able to do really long trips.

That battery can be seen here - https://california-ebike.com/shop/48-v-downtube-battery-pack-high-capacity-premium-cells/

I want to buy this one on ebay as my 2nd battery.

It certainly appears that the battery mount that attaches to the bike is the same for both batteries.

Does anyone know if they would definitely be compatible or not?
Buy it and find out. You have 30 day free return !

As long as you have the 4 spade connector on the mount you have yes, it should. Sometimes however the plastic tabs on the battery and mount are a bit different but from the same supplier you might luck out.

oh man... for every 10 UPP success stories there seems to be one that ends in tears. Usually revolving around the actual capacity of the battery being nowhere near what was advertised, coupled to customer service either putting return ship charges on the customer - to going completely unresponsive. Plus the rare fires. Rare but not unheard of. Not the kind of success ratio I would tolerate for something so critical - and dangerous - as a battery.

If Cali Ebike can't get more than 17ah into it and using 35E's to boot, then UPP is doing something naughty. Be it fibbing about the capacity, or doing without the internal framework so they can stuff a few more cells in at the expense of safety/durability. You have to wonder how only a 13S6P battery can make that much capacity. The Samsung 35E in the 17ah Cali battery is a 3500mah cell so what could possibly beat it in capacity in an 18650? UPP isn't saying.

My standard smartass UPP admonition is "Every time someone buys a UPP battery, God kills a kitten."

Last edited:
coupled to customer service either putting return ship charges on the customer - to going completely unresponsive.

You don't have to worry about returns charges, Ebay covers that in their guarantee !
You just have to contact the seller and not get a response within 2 days. Then Ebay steps in.

No one is fibbing. The UPP pack is 13S-6P. or 78 cells. Using LG 3200mah cells, six in parallel is 19.2AH. If the Cali-ebikes pack is 17AH, and using the Samsung 35E 3500ma cell. then it must be a 65 cell 13S-5P, as five 35E's in parallel is 17,5AH.

Some Jumbo Shark cases can hold 13S-7P or 91 cells, and they do use cell spacers. This could be a very tall battery.

I bought two UPP packs last summer, a 36V SIlverfish and a 48V Hailong. I've mot opened them up to see if they really have cell level fusing now. Be cool if they do.

Last edited:
You just have to contact the seller and not get a response within 2 days. Then Ebay steps in.
Yeah but if they respond to send the battery back to China for analysis (true story) after that 30 day window closes, then what? I can recall one other person who went to the expense of doing that and UPP said nothing was wrong with it.

Yeah but if they respond to send the battery back to China for analysis (true story) after that 30 day window closes, then what? I can recall one other person who went to the expense of doing that and UPP said nothing was wrong with it.
Wow, really digging at UPP aren't we? If they haven't sent the battery back within the return period THAT'S ON THE SELLERS and again Ebay will refund the money.

Plus if they want you to send it to China, Ebay will consider that a return and refund the money !
If anything, UPP would replace the battery (at your choice), rather than make you wait for an "analysis".
Finally the OP is wanting to know if it will fit his mount so there would be NO " China analysis", just a simple return.
Not sure what you don't understand about FREE RETURNS? Your friend must have mistaken that guarentee as well, or eles he would't have any "expense" to go through.

oh man... for every 10 UPP success stories there seems to be one that ends in tears. Usually revolving around the actual capacity of the battery being nowhere near what was advertised, coupled to customer service either putting return ship charges on the customer - to going completely unresponsive. Plus the rare fires. Rare but not unheard of. Not the kind of success ratio I would tolerate for something so critical - and dangerous - as a battery.

If Cali Ebike can't get more than 17ah into it and using 35E's to boot, then UPP is doing something naughty. Be it fibbing about the capacity, or doing without the internal framework so they can stuff a few more cells in at the expense of safety/durability. You have to wonder how only a 13S6P battery can make that much capacity. The Samsung 35E in the 17ah Cali battery is a 3500mah cell so what could possibly beat it in capacity in an 18650? UPP isn't saying.

My standard smartass UPP admonition is "Every time someone buys a UPP battery, God kills a kitten."
Hello Tom
I am really sorry the problems for you.
Normally my email now is replied by my assistant because i become busy and busy so no time to reply all the email.
I think that is why you and customer think our reply is slow now.
I do not know have so many problems for you.
In the past years i really very grateful you introduce so many customers to us.
For the BMS,we did not use balancing function that is because many battery case have a place to put the balancing BMS because the balancing BMS size is very big.
And all our BMS will have temperature monitor in future.
For the nickel some customer need it pure but some customer not need,tell the truth pure nickel will increase the cost a lot.
But many customer can not pay the high cost for the pure nickel,as you know we are not only retail we also cooperate with many ebike factory,and they need a competitive price.
Anyway,i really sorry our not good service for you now.
Can you let me know what we can do for you now?
If you need any new BMS let me know,and if you want any new battery also let me know.We hope we can get more advice from you,and i really want you my friend as before.

Hello Tom
I am really sorry the problems for you.
Normally my email now is replied by my assistant because i become busy and busy so no time to reply all the email.
I think that is why you and customer think our reply is slow now.
I do not know have so many problems for you.
In the past years i really very grateful you introduce so many customers to us.
For the BMS,we did not use balancing function that is because many battery case have a place to put the balancing BMS because the balancing BMS size is very big.
And all our BMS will have temperature monitor in future.
For the nickel some customer need it pure but some customer not need,tell the truth pure nickel will increase the cost a lot.
But many customer can not pay the high cost for the pure nickel,as you know we are not only retail we also cooperate with many ebike factory,and they need a competitive price.
Anyway,i really sorry our not good service for you now.
Can you let me know what we can do for you now?
If you need any new BMS let me know,and if you want any new battery also let me know.We hope we can get more advice from you,and i really want you my friend as before.

I have a new battery from them, but made sure it had a full feature BMS and NOT their generic no name cells. All connections between cells are pure nickel.

FYI. There was no cell level fusing on my UPP Hailong battery, and I'd bet the price of the battery there's none in the Silverfish either. They're talking about thermal safeties in the cells, either the top pops off or a vent in the bottom opens. That's done by the cell manufacturers, not UPP.

Back