Battery Charging Issue ST2 - Won't Charge when Capacity is in the 70% range

Bobstoltz

Recently I have been experiencing a recurring problem charging my 813Wh battery on my ST2. I usually ride 30-35 mile rides and my battery meter shows me at 70-75 capacity. When I connect my charger to the battery a click is heard starting the charge cycle, the green light and amber light light up, but and after a few seconds both lights turn green and battery never charges.

I called Stromer and spoke to Chan who sent a firmware update, which I installed and also asked me to use battery until only 30% or so is shown. I did and the charger did charge battery up to 100%.

However, for the last two rides with 70% or so remaining the charger won't charge. Anybody else experiencing this issue.

Have you tried charging the battery while not installed? Also a couple times while charging on the bike I unplugged the charger and plugged back in to "reboot" the charger. I always plug I the wall then connect the battery. So charge to 70 , unplug everything and plug back in.

What is your current firmware ?

Recently I have been experiencing a recurring problem charging my 813Wh battery on my ST2. I usually ride 30-35 mile rides and my battery meter shows me at 70-75 capacity. When I connect my charger to the battery a click is heard starting the charge cycle, the green light and amber light light up, but and after a few seconds both lights turn green and battery never charges.

I called Stromer and spoke to Chan who sent a firmware update, which I installed and also asked me to use battery until only 30% or so is shown. I did and the charger did charge battery up to 100%.

However, for the last two rides with 70% or so remaining the charger won't charge. Anybody else experiencing this issue.
I had a similar problem, although it didn't matter what percent my battery was at. I would plug in the charger and everything would seem fine, then within a few seconds I'd hear the click and the lights would go green and charging would stop. Initially I could retry multiple times with various reboot and battery pull gyrations and it would complete the charge cycle but eventually my charger completely failed and I got a replacement charger, end of problem! If you have access to a different charger it may be worth testing to see if it's a faulty charger.

I had a similar problem, although it didn't matter what percent my battery was at. I would plug in the charger and everything would seem fine, then within a few seconds I'd hear the click and the lights would go green and charging would stop. Initially I could retry multiple times with various reboot and battery pull gyrations and it would complete the charge cycle but eventually my charger completely failed and I got a replacement charger, end of problem! If you have access to a different charger it may be worth testing to see if it's a faulty charger.

I agree with John.
@Bobstoltz ,
I had a charger go bad on my ride this summer and it showed similar symptoms. Looks like a bad charger.
Another time, some iron filings were stuck to the bottom of the battery and the bike wouldn't power on. Once I removed the filings and made sure the contact points were clean, I did not have such issue.

I agree with John.
@Bobstoltz ,
I had a charger go bad on my ride this summer and it showed similar symptoms. Looks like a bad charger.
Another time, some iron filings were stuck to the bottom of the battery and the bike wouldn't power on. Once I removed the filings and made sure the contact points were clean, I did not have such issue.
John and Ravi .... thanks for your response. I have been communicating with Chan from Stromer. I'll ask him to send me a new charger. Thanks again, just wanted input on whether it might have been a battery issue. Bob

John and Ravi .... thanks for your response. I have been communicating with Chan from Stromer. I'll ask him to send me a new charger. Thanks again, just wanted input on whether it might have been a battery issue. Bob

@Bob did you figure this problem out? I have had it for a while but end up just riding the bike to reduce the charge below around 40% then recharge it. Sort of s pain cause my commute uses about 75%.....thanks Bill

@Bob did you figure this problem out? I have had it for a while but end up just riding the bike to reduce the charge below around 40% then recharge it. Sort of s pain cause my commute uses about 75%.....thanks Bill
Bill .... Yes the new charger fixed the problem. After I received the new charger I tried to use the old charger at 72%, sure enough no charge. Tried the new one and it charged. I have not had a problem since. Call Stromer ..... Chan and get a new charger sent to you. Bob
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.7px Helvet

han Huynh | Retailer Services Coordinator

Direct: 800-819-4262 or 858-863-8170, ext. 112|
Mobile: 760-688-8068 | Fax: 858-408-3377

Back