Battery charging and use question

Ngnear

Region
USA
I have a Creo and also have the range extender. I am planning several back to back days of long rides (destination ride) and will be taking my charger. I will be stopping for lunch (30-45 min) and plan on charging my bike. I have ordered the Y-Charging cord but I am not confident it will arrive in time, so I will be using the regular single charging cord. Should I charge the RE or the main battery over this lunch period? I am not sure how the bike is programmed to draw from the batteries of unequal potentials. I am aware there are two different settings for discharging the batteries, and I have always used the “normal” process (both concurrently). I realize the RE battery is half as large (capacity) as the main battery. I am wondering how the system works if the main battery is full and the RE is half used. Does the system adjust the usage so both batteries are depleted at the same time even if one is half used from its original capacity?

It is all very simple. In the default scenario, both batteries are balanced to be discharged at approximately the same %: That is, half of the current is drawn from the RE compared to the main battery. The system even prefers discharging the RE somewhat less in the early ride phase as the RE is being protected against excessive discharge.

Three scenarios:
  1. The RE is below 5% (treated as empty) and the main battery is 100%: An SL e-bike will only use the main battery with the RE switched off
  2. The main battery is below 5% and the Range Extender is 100%: The main battery is shut down and only the RE is being used
  3. Both batteries are at dramatically different charge levels: The SL e-bike will try to balance both batteries, discharging the "stronger" battery first until the charge % of both batteries is at a similar level.
It always pays to charge the main battery first. The charging time of the main battery from 5 to 100% takes 2 hours and 30 minutes. Charging the same for the RE is 3 hours 20 minutes. Charging both depleted batteries with the Y-cable takes 3 hours 20 minutes.

As the main battery is the double of the RE, it is faster and more valuable to get the main battery charged first.
I need to mention the integrated batteries' % (150%) is very much misleading. My Wahoo ELEMNT bike GPS computers report both batteries individually (such as 96/68%), giving me a good insight how the system works. While the integrated value of 130% tells you very little in the same case,

Last edited:
Back