Battery Charger issue /usage

Cupid

Had 2 incident with Battery charger, where it does not charge the battery.

I had the Battery Charger already plugged into the wall outlet in GREEN state.(for at least 1 hr+)
Next, I plug charging port into the bike. At this time Battery charger LED still indicates Green, fan does not start, and it does not start to charge the battery.

I had this occur twice already.

What I had to do was unplug the battery charger from the wall, outlet and then plug it back in, then plug it into the battery.
One time, unplugging from the wall outlet did not resolve the issue.
Thus I had to first plug the charging port into my bike before plugging battery charger into the wall outlet. This happened on both battery chargers that I own.

Is there a specific steps in order to charge my battery on the bike?
Did any one expereience the same issue?

Yes this happens a lot. I plug into the wall socket first then into the bike. I then watch that the LEDs turn yellow and green. Both solid. And then after a few seconds the unit makes a click. If none of that happens, particularly that click then it doesn't charge. If any of this doesn't happen I pull off and reconnect the bike end. Doing that once or twice gets it charging properly.

And btw if you have the bike switched on the screen can still display "charging" even when it isn't.

I rarely charge the battery out of the bike but have never had any problem when I do.

Yes, lots of charging problems. mostly with the ON bike charger port, not working and needing to take battery out of bike to charge. Hoping that's my issue as got "no battery" showing last night when we went to go for a ride. Plugging into charger didn't change anything or even register to the charger to start. Taking the battery out of the bike and plugging in with the "in between" cable got it charging. Hopefully a full charge cures it........

Since I started following the suggestion to turn bike to OFF instead of LOCK before plugging in, my on-bike charging problems have totally resolved.

@Cupid I've never had a problem and I've been using the same exact type of charger since 2009 (A2B Metro, then Stromer; both use Hi Power Charger brand)

1. Leave charger plugged into outlet.
2. Always leave charger turned off when not plugged into battery.
3. Turn off eBike at LCD control switch.
4. Plug charger into bike port.
5. Turn on charger.
6. When charger indicates GREEN, turn off charger.
7. Remove plug from bike port.

I've been doing the exact same procedure over 6 years; that's over 1200 charge cycles. I've had one failure. The charger fan quit on me.. Found a replacement fan (CPU fan actually) on eBay for $4. That's it.

Hi all first post here, though I'd chime in. Just purchased a new St1 Platinum and in the box that the charger came in was a piece of paper explaining to connect the charger to the battery/bike before plugging in to wall outlet. Said it was a safety feature.
Hope this helps.

umm, no it doesn't.

And I already pointed out the manual says it does. hell the CHARGER says it does! Shows a switch on the label stuck on the charger. But there's no switch.

And this has been discussed among other owners that also don't have power switches on the charger. ;)

How many ST1 chargers have you seen?

I have seen 2 models for the ST1 , 1 is the original Stromer charger, got it with both my original Sports and when I received my St1. The dealer had a very similar looking unit that didn't have a switch, a newer model.St2 is completely different of course

I have seen 2 models for the ST1 , 1 is the original Stromer charger, got it with both my original Sports and when I received my St1. The dealer had a very similar looking unit that didn't have a switch, a newer model.St2 is completely different of course

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Both wearing +STROMER- name. The one to the right is very common, but with different settings. Your dealer might have an source in far east, where he can buy the cheap ones.

Mines the one on the right. No power switch. But a label on one side that details the charging procedure and shows a switch!! LOL
Guess they switched units at some point and didn't notice the labels......

Good news is charging off the bike worked perfectly and everything back to normal on reinstallation. Whew! :)

Back