Bam Power being sued by Rad Power

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
Most definitely ripped off Rad's bike line, website design, images and graphics illustrating direct to consumer sales

Most definitely ripped off Rad's bike line, website design, images and graphics illustrating direct to consumer sales
No kidding.

I.e.
Bam Nomad = Rad Rover
Bam Folding = Rad Mini
Bam Urban = Rad City
Etc.

They claim to 'assemble' all products in US. That seems questionable. Theres a lot of Chinese 'cloning ' out there, and surprised more of this hasnt happened sooner, where the already made in China frames and components, aren't simply duped and re-labeled.

This thing by Bam is incredibly blatant though. Crazy.

But how much RadPower has copyright on their ebikes if all they do is buy already China made bikes to resell them, something that anyone else can do as well??? I mean even the rack mounts are the same. I mean these are identical bikes. Or is the lawsuit mainly about the website? Cause a tech IT person can redo the website in a few days and BamPower will still be selling the same RadPower bikes that RadPower sells. Cause till now I knew that RadPower bikes are CN made ebikes but I thought the small changes was their design. But now I'm not so sure.

Doesn't matter if they are selling the same or similarly re-branded bikes, that is not what the suit is about. Rad is suing based on content infringement. Intentional copying of website contents, images, patented color schemes, and/or the design that defines a brand is illegal. In this case, the website design is copied, the graphics are near identical and even Rad's tagline "Built for Everything, Priced for Everyone" was copied word for word. You cannot do that.

Yeah everything is rip off of Rad and probably came from the same manufacture too. o_O
That's the single most important issue that the Trump trade tariff resolution needs to address - the blatant IP theft and duping of so many products and suppliers doing exactly what you suggest - could be the same supplier pimping Rad. China govnt turns a blind eye to it all. It's been anything goes in China for 30 years, and hence the risks with zero international recourse. Bam is pretty dumb about it and being so 'in your face ' about it. It's like they were inviting a lawsuit intentionally.

Doesn't matter if they are selling the same or similarly re-branded bikes, that is not what the suit is about. Rad is suing based on content infringement. Intentional copying of website contents, or patented color schemes, or even the design that defines a brand is illegal. In this case, the website design is copied, the graphics are near identical and even Rad's tagline "Built for Everything, Priced for Everyone" was copied word for word. You cannot do that.
I agree. But as I said this is just a few days work to get it changed. And because of this lawsuit, even though I never knew of BAMPower before, I do now as well as thousands others. So all they managed to do is give them free advertising. A judge would want to see how much impact BamPower had on RadPower and I bet when they compare the sales figures of the two the answer will be almost none. So mainly they will be asked to change their website, which I think they should and it was stupid for them to not do it since day one.

I agree. But as I said this is just a few days work to get it changed. And because of this lawsuit, even though I never knew of BAMPower before, I do now as well as thousands others. So all they managed to do is give them free advertising. A judge would want to see how much impact BamPower had on RadPower and I bet when they compare the sales figures of the two the answer will be almost none. So mainly they will be asked to change their website, which I think they should and it was stupid for them to not do it since day one.
Yup. I thought that too- they just gave Bam tons of free PR. There would have to be proof of material harm and damage to sales, but they can likely get probably things changed about how Bam is marketing. Rad will need to pay for some good legal folks.

yeah I don't see the issue here either.
Rad Power and Bam Power are not THAT similar name that people would be mistaken from one another.

They're both approaching Chinese manufacture and rebranding their bikes and sell them in the USA. So yea, they're basically identical.
I know Trek, Cannondale and Specialized have their patent on some of their suspension design, but this case is not like that.

All I see on the article is website design, but they both look like just another ebike websites.
I see that how they labelled dimensions are very similar, but is that what this lawsuit is about?

The copyright notice on Rad's website prohibits others from duplicating images, content, text and/or other creative elements on the website. Copyright laws protect intellectual property from theft and this is clearly theft of that content.

How is this an IP theft?
Isn't IP theft something like if you copy iPhone and make some knock off?

If Rad Power had some proprietary motor design, battery structure, frame design.. and if Bam copied it, sure it's an IP theft.
I know what IP theft is, thank you. And I didn't say anywhere that this situation was IP theft, but that the Trump tariff situation is a lot about IP theft, the importance of the negative impact, and the whole inter-related stealing of all kinds of stuff including copywriting, trademark, inventions, etc which generically falls under 'IP'.

That's pretty funny. I superimposed the photo onto a Rad Rover photo. I can't do it precisely because I used Microsoft Powerpoint to do it. I think it's the same frame and battery, though one maker seems to be using larger rims/tires? It makes you wonder if some companies even have a design department, or if their design department is a vendor's catalog, or if their vendors don't care how many bike importers they sell the same style (with a different name painted on) to. Of course, none of this means that the bike might not be a good bike, and that a company can't offer good service.

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 8.07.40 AM.png

Web site disappearing overnight should give people a hint as to the nature of this company....

Small companies/businesses (and ebay/amazon sellers) are sometimes running out of storage lockers and can fold up and disappear overnight - especially if you were to apply any financial pressure, like a lawsuit.

Many times that same company will reappear with a slightly different name - no longer suffering from the bad press, results of a lawsuit or the old company's debt, the next day.

Be interesting to see how long they are around this time....

I believe you're the one who supplied the link to the 1599 bike.

Rad has a reputation for being there when there's an issue. These Bam bikes are being sold out of garages....

I wouldn't touch one of these for half that much......

Back