Bafang vs Luna?

eBrad

I'm about to purchase a BBSHD kit to convert my 2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 Plus. I was set to purchase from Bafang USA Direct but I've also read good things about Luna Cycle's Bafang kits. Any reason I should go with one over the other?

Brad interested to see how this conversion goes for you, I have been looking around at full suspension bike’s to maybe do a kit on

Please let us know how this goes and post some pictures when you are done

One thing I'm disappointed about is that it appears only the basic Bafang Slimline battery will fit my downtube. The Fuel EX's vertical shock and internal cable routing exiting port cramp the space. The battery templates I printed from Bafang USA show the larger Dolphin and Sharks won't squeeze into this space.

I'm not clear on the Luna battery sizes. Is their basic battery the same dimensions as the Bafang Slimline? Might one of Luna's higher capacity batteries fit better than the Bafang Dolphin or Shark? Might there be another battery vendor offering a higher capacity battery in a form factor better suited to my bike?

There is another forum that has a bunch of Luna do it yourselfers on there and I think those guys can probably answer your questions on the batteries

I think it’s electricbike.com

First off I would say ditch the BBSHD and just go with a BBS02. Bike will be lighter overall and have plenty of power (over 1000w with a 48 or 52v battery and 25A controller).

Visually it looks like a Shark type pack would fit in your frame with allowances for fitting the bottom over the cables that exit the down tube. These packs come with a mounting plate that have holes that optimally will coincide with your h2o braze ons but if not you can install rivnuts to suit, three bolts if possible actually if you intend to use the bike in rough terrain are better than two.

This is the battery I would recommend in either the 48v or 52v https://ebikemarketplace.com/collec...-sea-viper-21700-cells?variant=16054715875399 There are measurements of the case on there for you to use as a template. I have been using the 52v/15ah type for awhile now and really like it and going forward the 21700 cells are going to be used more and more by manufacturers and in fact already are for the higher end models by some manufacturers.

Luna has ONE controller for their Ludicrous. ALL other BBSxx kits are the same as every other reseller.
Recently Bafang has shipped motors that throw an error 07. Overvolt as they changed the firmware and told no one.

Next compare warranty coverage. It should be one year for the motor.

Does "support" answer your phone calls?

Some very comprehensive testing of the two systems: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100461
I was surprised but not entirely comfortable with the conclusions. Pedicab companies have stopped using BBS02B versions and have moved to BBSHD. The BBSHD has proven, in their experience, to be more durable and with fewer repair issues. BBSHD are also less prone to overheating when users use their throttle for taking off without shifting through gears. A case of data not matching real world use. I need to post to that thread and see how Justin responds.

Hey I was looking to do the same conversion as you, just had a few questions if you don't mind.
1.)Did you have to do any extra steps like grinding anything down?
2.)what size BBSHD motor did you buy? 74-100mm or 101-120mm
3.)I'm assuming you had to use pressfit 41 adapter?
4.)After motor was installed was their enough clearance or did it hang to low?

Hey I was looking to do the same conversion as you, just had a few questions if you don't mind.
1.)Did you have to do any extra steps like grinding anything down?
2.)what size BBSHD motor did you buy? 74-100mm or 101-120mm
3.)I'm assuming you had to use pressfit 41 adapter?
4.)After motor was installed was their enough clearance or did it hang to low?
You're responding to a 3-year-old thread and some posters haven't been back since their posts in 2019.
With more information, we can help.

Size depends on your bottom bracket width. What brand, model, and year of the bike to be converted?
I supported kit sales for the better part of a decade. When I didn't know the customer's bike I simply did two google search strings.

BRAND. MODEL YEAR BBSHD

Matt at empoweredcycles has a great tutorial on bottom-bracket adapters

Currently, there are supply issues.

So i was looking to install a BBSHD on a 2017 giant trance 2 which has a pressfit 92 bottom bracket. I haven't bought the bike yet, I'm just trying to find a relatively simple conversion that I can do. I was also looking at the trek fuel ex 8, as from what I have gathered looks somewhat straightforward. Thank you for your help!

Back