Bafang or 8FUN

I appreciate the tip Ravi! I was really struggling to name the section 8Fun or Bafang (especially because it says both on the kit... 8Fun on the motor and Bafang on the display). I reached out to Ed Benjamin from LEVA (Light Electric Vehicle Association) to clarify and here's what he had to say:
Hi Court,

8fun is a clever take invented by their advertising agency on this actual name: Suzhou Bafang Diandonchi Gongsi
  • Literally : city name Suzhou, 8 directions electric motor company
  • Explanation: "8 directions" which means "every direction" which is equivalent to "Universal Motor "
So this name breaks down lime this: City of Suzhou Universal Motor Company. "8fun" is memorable, easy, and has made them quite famous.

Best Regards

Since EBR is primarily focused on North America and English I went with 8Fun and tried to open reviews with a quick background on the naming and the whole Bafang thing :)

Hello all,

Just want to introduce myself. I'm Ray... Court has been giving me some pointers since I discovered his channel. I haven't received my 8fun kit yet. But I am excited to become involved here on the forum. I look forward to learning and sharing.

Ray

Hello all,

Just want to introduce myself. I'm Ray... Court has been giving me some pointers since I discovered his channel. I haven't received my 8fun kit yet. But I am excited to become involved here on the forum. I look forward to learning and sharing.

Ray
Welcome, the 8Fun looks like a great motor/concept, what frame are you going to put it on? Planned battery?

There's a massive thread over at endless-sphere on that motor, have you been over there? Don't want to lose you, but it seems like a great resource. There's also an install video on you tube that really made me want to build one, looks like fun.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&hilit=8fun

Last edited:
Thanks for having me. For now, I will mount it on a very inexpensive Walmart brand 29'er. It's a "Genesis Max Air". But the plan is, that when I get more money, to buy a high quality frame, and transplant the kit. The battery is a 48v 14.5ah lithium. Thank you for the video links, and the heads up on endless-sphere. I haven't even received the kit yet, and I'm already learning tons about them. I think I'm really going to enjoy this. )

Last edited:
2014-07-25_12-56-45_343.jpg
2014-07-25_12-58-14_0.jpg
Would anyone here be able to recommend what tools are necessary to install this kit on my specific bike? I know I need the hook shaped tool. Do I need to buy a crank puller, or anything else? (I have an excellent set of automotive tools).

2014-06-18_19-15-58_139.jpg
This is my BEFORE picture. A cheap Walmart bike (Genesis Max Air). I should receive the kit in a couple of weeks, then I'll post the AFTER picture. Later on, when I have enough money for a good bike, I'll move the motor to that one.

Then I will look there as well. This bike is much too heavy. But it was cheap, so it will have to hold me over until spring I think. I should have some money by then.

So it's August 3rd now.. Still waiting for word from EM3EV that my 8FUN 750w motor and battery have shipped. (I placed my order on July 19th.) They didn't mention at that time that the motor was not in stock, or that it was on back order. I later found out from the "news" section on their web site that they're receiving a shipment today. I have no idea if my order will be pulled from the newly available supply. So far, I'm not very happy with EM3EV. They are however, very efficient at billing me for my order. That went through very quickly. I will provide updates.

Then I will look there as well. This bike is much too heavy. But it was cheap, so it will have to hold me over until spring I think. I should have some money by then.

Nothing wrong with those WalMart bikes... Those frames are pretty durable and it's a great way to start... Brakes might need an upgrade if youre cruising over 25 mph.

Agree with Pliablemoose on CL.. lots of good bikes for cheap.

So I reached out to EM3EV again. Moon responded quickly that my battery is complete, and my order (including BBS02) will ship later today. So that's two weeks and three days to complete my order. Now we see how long shipping actually takes, and what shape it's in when it arrives. Updates to follow.

My BBS02 motor and battery have arrived. Fedex tried to deliver yesterday, but I missed them. I picked up the packages today. So that's three weeks and four days from order to delivery. Everything was in good condition. My last contact with Moon at EM3ev was August 8th when she told me she would provide tracking when it became available. I never received that information, but once the packages did ship, transit time was seven days. Not bad IMO. I had some trouble getting the drive through the bottom bracket. It was an extremely tight fit. After much grease, twisting and pushing, then using the exposed threads to crank the nut down to pull it the rest of the way through, it was finally in flush. I blame this not on 8FUN but on the cheesy Walmart bike that I mounted it on. I can't imagine what it will be like if I ever try to remove it, to mount it on a better bike. So.... The test drive...... This motor is far more powerful than anything I anticipated. I was truly shocked. I was giggling like a school girl. I could not possibly be more happy with it. The battery and charger seem to be of good quality, and the accessories (screen, break out buttons, and power cut off break levers) also seem to be of very good quality. That's about it. I am a very happy customer. If I have any issues later on, I will provide an update. Thank you everyone for your help and advice. You've made my first Ebike experience a joy. I intend to stick around and try to return the kindness.

Attachments

• 2014-08-16_21-10-13_168.jpg
    2014-08-16_21-10-13_168.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 489
Just an update on the performance that I have experienced. Long steep hills are a non issue. This motor and battery easily handled a two mile long 20-25% grade at 20mph without peddling. I also went 30 miles when the battery level indicator just started flickering between full and 3/4. That was with the one big hill, and the rest at 3 out of 4 assist level, and the battery charged to 90% at the start. At the top of the big hill, the battery and motor were warm, but not bad at all.

Just an update on the performance that I have experienced. Long steep hills are a non issue. This motor and battery easily handled a two mile long 20-25% grade at 20mph without peddling. I also went 30 miles when the battery level indicator just started flickering between full and 3/4. That was with the one big hill, and the rest at 3 out of 4 assist level, and the battery charged to 90% at the start. At the top of the big hill, the battery and motor were warm, but not bad at all.

Sounds good.. What battery configuration did you buy?

Back