Bafang M600 - Throttle addition ?

Bluenoser

Hello all,

I am a new member located near Halifax in Nova Scotia, Canada. I have ordered a Voltbike Enduro. Awarded on this site as the "Best full suspension electric bike for 2020".
I know that this motor is the most powerful legally allowed on the roads, however I plan to use the bike off road most of the time.

If I want to add a throttle what do I need ? New controller ?

If I want to upgrade to a 750 Watt motor will it fit in place of the M600 ?

Best Regards

Bluenoser

The M600 is one of the very few mid motor/torque assist units that allows for a throttle so the capability is built in you would just have to get the throttle that works for it and plug it in. I would inquire Voltbike directly to see what they know about it.

I think almost any Bafang or Chinese mid motor will work with throttle.

It's just those higher end companies, Yamaha, Bosch, Brose and Shimano not allowing throttle.

While true the Ultra and M500/600 mid motors, which are frame specific btw, are the only ones that have torque sensing which if the OP is mainly targeting off road use I feel is a premium over the kit Bafangs cadence sensing.

Awarded on this site as the "Best full suspension electric bike for 2020".
With all due respect to Court this bike does not belong in that category. Furthermore the 2019 model reviewed is no longer sold. It used the Bafang Max motor which will not accept throttle. The M600 does allow for throttle but for the most part it's a joke when you hit throttle. You will get more output from pedaling. Also, the M600 with metal gear is LOUD.

Maybe get the controller from Luna?

Definitely don't. Luna's tuning for the M600 is garbage and the ludi controller just magnifies the issues. It's also expensive. I'm guessing the OP is looking at the voltbike because budget is a concern.

FWIW the Sondors Rockstar is probably a better budget option.

I now have the Voltbike Enduro !!!! To my surprise and great pleasure it came with a thumb throttle. When I contacted Voltbike they indicated that this is the new 2021 model which includes the throttle. I have had a couple of short rides which always end up with a steep hill home, this bike with the Bafang M600 brings me back without exhausting pedal effort. The throttle lets me take a break from pedaling when needed. I am over 71 years old and this bike gives me back what I enjoyed many years ago, plus now I have the time to explore those trails. All I need is for the approaching winter to hold off !!

I now have the Voltbike Enduro !!!! To my surprise and great pleasure it came with a thumb throttle. When I contacted Voltbike they indicated that this is the new 2021 model which includes the throttle. I have had a couple of short rides which always end up with a steep hill home, this bike with the Bafang M600 brings me back without exhausting pedal effort. The throttle lets me take a break from pedaling when needed. I am over 71 years old and this bike gives me back what I enjoyed many years ago, plus now I have the time to explore those trails. All I need is for the approaching winter to hold off !!
]
Fantastic Blue, one more vote for throttle!!

Voltbike has a good deal on the Enduro right now, and I am strongly considering getting one. However I keep reading about how loud the latest metal gear motor is, can anyone that owns a recent model Voltbike Enduro comment on how loud this really is ?

I ride a bike with a Bafang Ultra (M620) that uses a similar metal gear setup and supposedly runs at about the same noise level the M600 runs at. I would describe the noise as a low growl. At lower speeds and power levels it's not much louder than the wind noise in your ears. While not silent, I would not call it noisy or real objectionable. Sure I would prefer the noise to not be there, but it's no huge distraction. -Al

Back