Bafang Controller/Display with Das-Kit Motor?

jkvt

Has anyone swapped out the display and controller for Bafang? I think the motor connector is the same, just not sure if the pins line up with what Bafang expects? After a few thousand miles, there's a few annoyances I'd like to try to iron out that I think a Bafang setup will solve but I prefer to not have to swap out the motor. Thanks!

Wow. I didn't think Bafang and Das-kit were compatible. I mean, I know that the motors use the same 9 pin higo connector which connects to the controller. But I always thought that be using a Bafang motor with Das-kit controller or vise versa, you would get error code 30 (communication error). I'll have to play around with this on my NCM Moscow +.
Thanks for the info @jkvt 👍🏿

Well - hang on, im not sure they are. That's what I'm trying to figure out. The connector would work but like you say, you might get an error, or something worse maybe? I'm really not sure.

Oh!!!!!!
Apologies. In that case, I suspect they are not compatible.
Das-kit protocols are different to Bafang. Granted, some displays like KT have demonstrated that they work with both systems (after tweaking them). But I suspect that you would have to check each pin to determine which three are the phase wires, Which two pins are for the battery etc. And then align them to connect with the controller.
I'll see if I can find a diagram which may assist.
Bare with me 👍🏿

Both the protocol, wiring and connectors are different.
Bafang uses a 9-pin and Das-kit an 8 pin connector but they look similar.
There's a German site that outlines the Das-Kit protocol but you'l need to understand German.

Aha ok thanks. Looks like a new motor it is if I go this route, which I probably will. Maybe I can sell the old parts to someone as a kit.

sure, so I was thinking of convering to Bafang electronics. The Das Kit has been nice but the two annoyances are the lag that you get coming off a downhill. So after coming down a hill relatively fast, the assist is slow to kick back on, so the speed can drop quite a bit. The second is the way Das Kit seems to work is the assist levels are basically equivalent to target speeds. For example, assist 4 seems to target the bike speed around 16mph. Below that and it is doing everything it can to get you up there, above that the motor stops assisting. On the bike I've ridden with a Bafang hub drive, it is more assisting at whatever speed you want to bike at, rather than just trying to keep you at a certain speed. This is even without a torque sensor turned on. That, especially, is appealing because it would make it easier to ride with others.

Both the protocol, wiring and connectors are different.
Bafang uses a 9-pin and Das-kit an 8 pin connector but they look similar.
There's a German site that outlines the Das-Kit protocol but you'l need to understand German.
I did just take a look at the connector, it does have have 9 pins going out to the motor, btw. Not sure if this changes any thoughts on this though or maybe one pin just doesnt connect to anything?

sure, so I was thinking of convering to Bafang electronics. The Das Kit has been nice but the two annoyances are the lag that you get coming off a downhill. So after coming down a hill relatively fast, the assist is slow to kick back on, so the speed can drop quite a bit. The second is the way Das Kit seems to work is the assist levels are basically equivalent to target speeds. For example, assist 4 seems to target the bike speed around 16mph. Below that and it is doing everything it can to get you up there, above that the motor stops assisting. On the bike I've ridden with a Bafang hub drive, it is more assisting at whatever speed you want to bike at, rather than just trying to keep you at a certain speed. This is even without a torque sensor turned on. That, especially, is appealing because it would make it easier to ride with others.
I see.
If I may also ask, which display from Das-kit are you using?
I remember when I purchased my NCM Moscow 29er +, it came with thr L7 display. This display did not allow me to change the top speed. It took me a while to realise that earlier displays allowed this feature instead of both the L7 & C7.
I managed to source a L6 which allowed me to change the top speed. But most importantly, the L6 allowed the motor power delivery to be more instant compared to the L7 & C7 (even after changing from modes between Eco - Power).
Before spending unnecessary money on a new kit, see if you can find a different display (models lower than both the L7 and C7). If my suspension are correct, you may find the performance from your Das-kit motor you've been yearning for 👍🏿

Yeah - that's an option and I believe Magnum sells them for about $100. My main hesitation there is I thought *some* C6 displays are still locked down, but even if not I think it still treats the PAS levels as target speeds which I'd like to try to get away from.

Back