azor tweelingfiets build thread

Maybe some kind of chain pulley like this or this one and just use one pulley above the chainstay, I like how the second one is anchored at two points. I had to use a chain tensioner attached to the derailleur hanger with my first IGH a Nexus 8 on a hybrid frame with vertical dropouts.

Maybe some kind of chain pulley like this or this one and just use one pulley above the chainstay, I like how the second one is anchored at two points. I had to use a chain tensioner attached to the derailleur hanger with my first IGH a Nexus 8 on a hybrid frame with vertical dropouts.
this is an interesting idea. if i pull the chain down i get a bit more clearance due to the angle of the frame at that point, so i could use a pulley to hold it there. it is definitely the cheaper fix but i'm wondering what the repercussions of this would be? if i use the 44T stock chainwheel and a pulley the chain would be mostly in a straight line, but if i use the 36T there would probably be a bend in the chain where it makes contact with the pulley. meaning it would not only be pulling tension on it down but pulling it in some towards the center of the bike. i'm assuming using the 36T in this setup would cause unnecessary wear on probably both the chainwheel and the sprocket, but maybe i could get away with the 44T?

for reference the original chainwheel was probably around -20 to -24mm of the motor (i'm measuring in relation to where the chainwheel makes contact with the motor to the middle of the chainwheel). the stock 44T bafang chainwheel is -5mm, i would need probably at least a -9mm offset to get it to stop rubbing, but that leaves hardly any clearance. looking at the lekkie lineup my only options are a 42T bling ring (which would barely clear the frame) or a 40T bling ring with the modified engine cover (which would require i buy a different chain).

Last edited:
It might be worth asking some Dutch bike shops that convert this frame with Bafang mid-drives how they fixed the chainline issue, eg this one

A 36T has no offset. I guess I’m confused as to why there’s a chainline issue.
Do you understand it @Dewey ?

40T bling ring with the modified engine cover (which would require i buy a different chain).
The 40T is a great product if it solves your issue. I sold quite a few in years of supporting BBSxx motors.
I’m still confused a bit. What is the bottom bracket width? The chainring needs to be closer to the frame?

The 40T is a great product if it solves your issue. I sold quite a few in years of supporting BBSxx motors.
I’m still confused a bit. What is the bottom bracket width? The chainring needs to be closer to the frame?

here's a picture of the chainline when using the stock 44T chainwheel. it's contacting the frame where it is circled in red. (ignore the bolt that's from the old chainguard i just didn't want to lose it)

Attachments

• 44T chainline.jpg
    44T chainline.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 138
It might be worth asking some Dutch bike shops that convert this frame with Bafang mid-drives how they fixed the chainline issue, eg this one
i will reach out to them that's a good idea. looks like they are using the standard bafang chainwheel but they have a different hub on there so i'm assuming it has to do with that.

here's a picture of the chainline when using the stock 44T chainwheel. it's contacting the frame where it is circled in red. (ignore the bolt that's from the old chainguard i just didn't want to lose it)
The 44T in my opinion is a second rate chainring. In my 7 years of support I thought 42T was a better choice. We sold hundreds of Lekkie rings and I think the 40T is an ideal product. I’m writing from a phone and don’t have my Lekkie offsets handy. Doesn’t 40T add a couple of mm of offset.

Last edited:
The 44T in my opinion is a second rate chainring. In my 7 years of support I thought 42T was a better choice. We sold hundreds of Lekkie rings and I think the 40T is an ideal product. I’m writing from a phone and don’t have my Lekkie offsets handy. Doesn’t 40T add a couple of mm of offset.
thanks, yea i really think the 40T kit is the ideal fix for this issue and am glad i didn't get the HD motor so i wouldn't have to modify anything, just kind of a bummer that i will not be able to use the KMC Z1eHX chain i bought.

thanks, yea i really think the 40T kit is the ideal fix for this issue and am glad i didn't get the HD motor so i wouldn't have to modify anything, just kind of a bummer that i will not be able to use the KMC Z1eHX chain i bought.
FWIW, I owned 3 BBSHD motors and they were overkill for me. I still ride 2 2014 BBS01 350W and a BBS01B 500W. I’m a fan of the 01 and 02 for mine and your application. By the way, that’s a beautiful bike to have converted. Really nice looking and appears very comfortable!

FWIW, I owned 3 BBSHD motors and they were overkill for me. I still ride 2 2014 BBS01 350W and a BBS01B 500W. I’m a fan of the 01 and 02 for mine and your application. By the way, that’s a beautiful bike to have converted. Really nice looking and appears very comfortable!
yea the BBSHD is probably fun when playing around on trails but for a commuter bike on pavement i'm not sure i've got the guts for it. and i appreciate it! very excited to get it back on the road. hopefully will have this chainline issue sorted by the time the battery gets here in a week or two. it's definitely the most comfortable bike i've ever had and the curves through the frame look so so nice in my opinion.

Another possible, maybe partial, solution is the sprocket on the Nexus hub. I think all of the nexus hubs use the same type sprocket that my 3 speed has. It is dished and can be used to dish inward or dish outward if needed for the best chainline. I'm sure you would have already checked this and have it dished inward toward the hub, but just throwing this out just in case.

Another possible, maybe partial, solution is the sprocket on the Nexus hub. I think all of the nexus hubs use the same type sprocket that my 3 speed has. It is dished and can be used to dish inward or dish outward if needed for the best chainline. I'm sure you would have already checked this and have it dished inward toward the hub, but just throwing this out just in case.
yea i had this in my back pocket as a last ditch effort, it helped a bit but not quite enough. i went ahead and just bit the bullet on the lekkie 40T kit, that ought to give me enough room to play with.

ok i got the 40T ring and motor cover in. @tomjasz i was expecting there to be a screw for the grease port, but it looks like that's only for the HD model. do you think that will be an issue? i have some mobil shc100 that i can use to pack it, is the idea that the grease will plug up the hole? it's rainy season here so i am a bit nervous.

ok i got the 40T ring and motor cover in. @tomjasz i was expecting there to be a screw for the grease port, but it looks like that's only for the HD model. do you think that will be an issue? i have some mobil shc100 that i can use to pack it, is the idea that the grease will plug up the hole? it's rainy season here so i am a bit nervous.
No need to “pack it in” just fill the gear teeth and come back after a couple thousand k. Or if riding in lots of rain id say yearly. Id also get some black RTV and add some sealant around the wire bundle exit from the motor and with a latex glove use a finger to work a bit into motor seams. Boeshield T6 or similar on all connections before snapping together. Works for me and my old customers.

Bafang has done better at lubing. I think the port for the BBS02 was a design issue. They’re built differently.

Try a search for: 130 BCD narrow wide chainring, offset. A 10mm offset would be ideal

No need to “pack it in” just fill the gear teeth and come back after a couple thousand k. Or if riding in lots of rain id say yearly. Id also get some black RTV and add some sealant around the wire bundle exit from the motor and with a latex glove use a finger to work a bit into motor seams. Boeshield T6 or similar on all connections before snapping together. Works for me and my old customers.
got it thanks. hadn't thought about the wire bundle at the motor, thought that was sealed up a bit better. i have been greasing the connections though.

also i'm in the netherlands if that helps at all. noord holland baybee.

Try a search for: 130 BCD narrow wide chainring, offset. A 10mm offset would be ideal
i got the 40T lekkie on today and it was just perfect. waaaayyy too expensive but it's nice to have the spacer so i can tweak it if i need to. between the dish on the rear sprocket and the spacers on the chainwheel i can probably get that goldilocks chainline.

I really like the single speed eChain from KMC on one of my bikes. When it is time, you might consider trying one. It is 27 or 28C, 81/82F here North of San Francisco today and I will be running dry lube for another five-weeks. We could trade for some of your rain. We also have big hills and enthusiasts from the Netherlands go wild here.

Back