average shipping cost of an ebike from China to US?

nikkiss

would like to know how much is gonna be the average shipping cost via airfreight of an ebike from China to US? bike's gross weight is 40 kilos with dimensions 140x40x60 cm.

are there any import taxes etc?

I imported two shipments of emopeds and I will not do it again because there are just too many hurdles. There are some new shipping services I've heard about from China that claim to take care of everything (duties, taxes, handling by the teamsters, etc.) which results in a total cost for one ebike at around $600 (some claim as high as $800). If you are importing a high-end ebike that may not be a bad deal but I would suggest being careful because if you don't get exactly what you expected there is simply no recourse which happens frequently.

I still import ink cartridge chips from China and recently had to pay a 15% duty on the last shipment that just went in place in the last few months. Not sure who is really benefiting from the tariffs.

Like Ken says, it's both expensive and a nightmare. Air freight can avoid some customs hassles. It's minimum $600 and most likely a lot more. With more than 130 brands available here in the US, I can't think of a good reason to buy direct from China, and about 20 reasons not to.

There is an alternative to China-direct buying, - order at Aliexpress. Logistics will be easier. They usually provide a quote up-front. Customs dues are additional. You won't get much warranty at the Ali and returns/refunds will be problematic. In the end you will save maybe 30% of the cost, with a lot of pain and likely replacement/repair of some parts because Ali mostly sell no-name clones from unknown manufacturers.
I agree with Mike's - there is plenty in the US to choose from, including lower-priced imported "kinda brands".

i am not too much of a fan of chinese made e-bikes.One of the guys i knew had massive problems with his china made bike,especially the motor.If you want you can visit the link i have added.They are a online retailer and offering free shipping.Plus you can get multiple top brands to choose from at a different price range
https://ebikegeneration.com/collections/all?aff=139
Nearly all ebikes, and regular bikes are made in China. This includes many popular brands, such as Rad Power, Juiced, Trek, Giant, Specialized, BH (formerly Easy Motion), Raleigh, Izip, Blix, Magnum, Surface 604, Ride1Up, Haibike, CIVI, Lectric, Ecomotion, IGO, Elux, and at least 100 others. giant does also build in Taiwan, as does some of Trek, and Giant actually builds some of Treks models. And some of these same big bike firms build in Vietnam and Indonesia.

Thus, saying you are not a 'a fan' of 'Chinese made' ebikes pretty much rules out 90% of the available brands and plenty of excellent products, and is unfortunately an unnecessary and very outdated castigation of 'made in China.' Like any other product , 'crappy stuff' can pretty much come out of any country.

Again, I agree with Mike's. Nearly all bikes are made in China.

On a brief glance, brands in the Saad link are closer to what is called Chinese imports rather than US brands, and are definitely not "top brands". Though I see them selling Biktrix (a fairly decent though low-cost Canadian brand). Just another online seller - like Upzy maybe?

"US ebike companies" make their bikes in China, contributing merely the designing step, choosing from dozens of already available (in China) components . They have US offices and the most expensive of them have US dealers. Cheaper US brands are closer to purely Chinese imports, not much support from the office, no brick and mortar stores (though you can sometimes buy them in bike shops and places like Walmart), hard to find somebody who would service it, though parts are mostly generic and cheap and can be obtained from many online sources. Ex, I would classify Nakto as a Chinese import and Big Cat USA (on the list in that link) as "close" to Chinese import. It's a grey area here.

Now, whether the massive move of most manufacturing to China was "necessary" or not, it's too late to even talk about things that should've/could've been done (or not done) 30 years ago.

would like to know how much is gonna be the average shipping cost via airfreight of an ebike from China to US? bike's gross weight is 40 kilos with dimensions 140x40x60 cm.

are there any import taxes etc?
Did you ever find a company to do the import? Im also interested in this and the potential costs.

Battery fire not included at $598 with free shipping.
@bikeman242 Attached is my Walmart Hyper eBike that was delivered to my address for free with a BATTERY. It was purchased last Jun2020 at $598 before taxes and went on sale for $398, couple of weeks ago. I highly recommend to all recreational riders out there to get this budget e-bike if becomes available again in the market (it is currently out of stock). I've been riding this bike for 20 miles per day (4x a week) and just rode 30 miles this morning around our neighborhood in San Diego.

Attachments

• Hyper eBike.JPG
    Hyper eBike.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 455
Back