Aventon Pace vs. Rad Mission

libbycoleman23

I am purchasing my first e-bike for commuting and would like to stay in the entry-level price range of around $1000. I have come across both the Aventon Pace 350 and the new Rad Mission 1 and am having a hard time choosing between the two. They are both priced essentially the same and have very similar specs (to my new eye). Can anyone provide insight on which bike is better or how to go about selecting between the two?

Thanks!

The RadMission is a single speed with a more powerful 500w 48v motor, so you'll have just the one high gear which means you'll be using the throttle to take off from stationary so it's good to have more power, the high gear is so you can pedal at a comfortable cadence nearer the 20mph top speed but won't be much help when climbing hills where you'll be relying on the motor power. The Aventon Pace has gears so you can shift down gear to pedal at a comfortable cadence when moving slowly, this might be helpful if like me you prefer pedalling to keep your balance and when you're using the less powerful 36v 350w motor when climbing hills. Both bikes can climb hills, see Court's video reviews of both models on this EBR site Pace, RadMission, choosing between the two reflects your preference for how much pedal input you want to add, it's just a different preference, having a more porwerful 500w 48v system is preferable for a single speed ebike IMO.

Last edited:
My experience with bicycle commuters is from the service end; a LOT of commuters maintain their bikes poorly. So from that perspective, the Rad has an advantage in its simplicity, at least as far as the drivetrain is concerned. Personally though, I would rather have a selection of gears.

The Aventon Pace has gears so you can shift down gear to pedal at a comfortable cadence when moving slowly, this might be helpful if like me you prefer pedalling to keep your balance and when you're using the less powerful 36v 350w motor when climbing hills.

Having owned the Pace 500, I must say that it does not go slow very well at all. The programming powers the motor to go to 11-12 MPH at level 1 assist. If you want to go slower than that, you have to use the throttle or pedal with the brake lever slightly engaged to initiate motor cutoff. Another catch is that you cannot engage the throttle from a standstill. It requires you to do one full rotation of the cranks before you can use it.

Having owned the Pace 500, I must say that it does not go slow very well at all. The programming powers the motor to go to 11-12 MPH at level 1 assist. If you want to go slower than that, you have to use the throttle or pedal with the brake lever slightly engaged to initiate motor cutoff. Another catch is that you cannot engage the throttle from a standstill. It requires you to do one full rotation of the cranks before you can use it.

Thanks I'd read that issue in the Aventon forum before, but it's good to hear a first hand report from an owner. The OP is considering the Pace 350 which has the 36v 350w motor vs the 48v 500w motor on the Pace 500, I'm unsure if the PAS level 1 speed setting problem also occurs on the lower power model.

I also looked at the RadMission, then realized it's 47 pounds, which seems pretty portly for what it is. Another similar option you might consider is the Ride1Up Core-5, which is 48 pounds. It also has the benefit of gears and a higher top speed when pedaling.

He's comparing the Pace 350, not the 500. In level 1 assist, the 350 is about 9 to 11 mph depending upon rider weight, wind speed, or hills. The 500 runs at about 12-13 mph under similar conditions. But it's a class 3 ebike easily capable of 28 mph. Comparing that to a fixie like the mission is apples and oranges. Go back to Aventons Populo brand to compare fixie to fixie. It's no longer made though.

On the throttle, it can be engaged on the 350 as soon as you are going at least 2 mph, and no pedal stroke needed. You could press walk mode button to get up to 3.5 mph from start, if you have no ability to move it one pedal stroke.

The Pace 350 vs Mission is not comparing two similar ebikes at all. One (the Pace 350) is a comfort ebike capable of being ridden on pavement or trails, with multiple speeds to easily go up hills, and extend range, along with entirely different frame geometry that allows the rider to stay more upright, with a slight pedal forward configuration, to get good leg extension but not needing the seat too far above the ground. The Mission is fixie, typically for short ride urban commuting, lean forward posture, and not good for hills or trails. Rather uncomfortable for many older riders, and more about being low priced with few frills. It does the job for quick and short urban commutes. If you have strong legs you can get decent distance from the battery and a good work out. The similarities between the two end at their respective price points and their two wheels and a motor. ;)

Aventon did that 'fixie' experiment 4 years ago, and while they sold a lot of them, they didn't find a wide audience. Schwinn tried it too, around the same time with their Monroe. Didn't go well for them, and now you can find them on line through places like Walmart for around $798. The price where the Mission should be at. Rad appears to be reeling in a lot of naive consumers with a low price ebike. Just adding more market confusion, and distracting people from the competition.

Actually though, the Mission intro could be a rather clever market strategy by a CEO, who is lucky enough to have the first 3 letters of his last name, sound pretty appealing for the name of his ebike importing firm. It's priced just low enough to pull people away from the low priced models on Spamazon, and become a good entry point for people afraid to spend too much on their first ebike. At the same time it's priced just below some of Rads most significant competitive threats who have been eating away at Rads market presence in the 'below $1500' price point category which has been by far the fastest growing segment within the ebike market itself. That said, It wouldn't surprise me though, if the Mission becomes the most 're-gifted' ebike in the market, as once the buyer gets over the initial excitement of pedal assist, and very limited functionality, he or she will within a few months, long for a more practical ebike, and I'm sure Rad hopes it's their RadCity or some other model, they'll upgrade to, soon after the fixie purchase. And some family member or friend will be 're-gifted' with their first ebike, and so on and so forth. Pretty interesting, eh ? I could be wrong. Never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back