Attack of the Clones: Reputable brand for the "AC-FAT-M1"

JASmith

Region
USA
With the SO squared away, I'm now looking for a bike for myself. As mentioned before, I was a fan of the Lectric XP 2.0 style of bike. In researching, I came across a similar style of bike with a little bit of rear suspension, but in a virtually unlimited number of Chinese clones with different components slapped on.

I've seen it called the:

Akkubici AC-FAT-M1: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2021-New-design-high-power-folding_1600196507463.html

Blue Energy AC-FAT-M1: https://bluenergy.en.alibaba.com/pr...4_0_Electric_Bike_Folding_Fat_Tire_Ebike.html

Accomile BK42: https://accolmile.com/products/750w...g-battery-bafang-motor?variant=39471495512242

Fiido M21: https://www.fiido.com/collections/electric-bikes/products/fiido-m21?variant=39780323197124

Synergy Kahuna, FAFREES F7 Plus, and a few others. The coolest one seemed to be the one called the model "AC-FAT-M1" with the following specs:

AC-FAT-M1 Specification
FrameAluminum Alloy 6061
MotorBaFang 48V 1000W Mid Motor (M615 G320.1000.C)
BatteryPanasonic/Samsung Cell 48V 17.5Ah Lithium Battery
ForkLockable Hydraulic Front Fork
ShockHydraulic Rear Shock
BrakeWuxing Hydraulic Disc Brake
DerailleurSRIDE 9 Speed
PedalWellgo Aluminum Pedal
DisplayBafang DPC18
ThrottleTwist Throttle (Left)
LightFront & Rear Light
FendersMetal Fenders (Front and Rear)
RackRear Luggage Rack
TireCST 20*4.0 Fat Tire
Cruiser ModeNO
ChainKMC
Chainwheel46T
Max Speed45-50 km/h
Distance30-40km (electric mode) 60-80 (PAS mode)
Charging Time8-10H
97ab1a23b8.jpg

Or if no one has heard of it, I may flip a coin and just order the Lectric XP 2.0 or Radrunner Plus. :D

Though I like the idea of a mid-drive fat folder, Lectric or Rad are probably a safer bet from a support point of view.

I'd also recommend Rize Bikes as a brand. They've offered good support for our bikes over the past couple of seasons, and their new Bolt X looks WAY more refined than most fat folders, though I haven't seen any reviews yet (it's not out until August).

You pays your money and you takes your chances. At least you are (possibly) getting name brand cells in the battery, so it is less of a fire hazard. There are clones of name brand cells out there also. It doesn't look like there is much travel in the rear suspension and you can probably get the same effect with a suspension seatpost like the Kinekt. I'll admit that I don't really like these fat tire folding bikes, so take what I say with a grain of salt. However, there are good reasons not to like them: They are heavy, don't fold up that small (do you need a folding bike?), the fat tires add unnecessary rolling resistance, they can't be pedaled easily without motor power, and they are not the least bit stealthy (they can't be mistaken for a non-electric bike from a distance).

Though I like the idea of a mid-drive fat folder, Lectric or Rad are probably a safer bet from a support point of view.

I'd also recommend Rize Bikes as a brand. They've offered good support for our bikes over the past couple of seasons, and their new Bolt X looks WAY more refined than most fat folders, though I haven't seen any reviews yet (it's not out until August).

Yes, that was my concern if no one has experience with any of these Chinese brands which sounds like its the case. Just appeared really cool on paper having hydraulic disk brakes, front and rear suspension, a 1000 watt mid drive I figured would be extra fast thanks to gearing, and can be tucked away in the garage or thrown in the trunk of the SUV. I did find one California bike shop that slapped their logo on it and appeared roughly the same but instead of $1600 wanted twice as much.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. At least you are (possibly) getting name brand cells in the battery, so it is less of a fire hazard. There are clones of name brand cells out there also. It doesn't look like there is much travel in the rear suspension and you can probably get the same effect with a suspension seatpost like the Kinekt. I'll admit that I don't really like these fat tire folding bikes, so take what I say with a grain of salt. However, there are good reasons not to like them: They are heavy, don't fold up that small (do you need a folding bike?), the fat tires add unnecessary rolling resistance, they can't be pedaled easily without motor power, and they are not the least bit stealthy (they can't be mistaken for a non-electric bike from a distance).
I'll probably skip it, as if its damaged on delivery that alone might be a PITA if no one has heard of a reputable company selling this chassis. Suspension doesn't have more travel than seat posts, just thought it was neat since it would fully suspend the frame too for drinks and what not.

I don't think weight really matters a ton if you're not doing jumps or anything and just heading to krogers, the pool, neighbors house for grilling which I need to hurry up for lol! I saw them fold up fine to fit in the back of an SUV, something even my regular bike can't easily do, and can store them in a box in the garage when not in use. High volume low pressure tires should be nice and cushiony and keep their pressure for longer and be pretty agnostic about terrain and not dig into cracks or joints or anything as easily, and while they are less efficient, I'm not sure that really matters much when I'm going such short distances and instead of my 150 watts of leg power have up to 1000 watts of assist available to more than overcome the extra friction and weight. Personally, I think they look pretty cool, almost like a motorcycle or moped.

I know larger wheels would be even smoother experience, but then they are bigger and won't fold up as small.

Well, you know what you want better than I do. However, look for name brands on the components, like Shimano, Avid, or Magura. Wuxing is a Chinese brand that makes electronic components like throttles and switches. I have not heard of Wuxing hydraulic brakes and would be concerned about sourcing pads, bleed kits, and parts like olives and hose inserts for servicing them.

I'll probably skip it, as if its damaged on delivery that alone might be a PITA if no one has heard of a reputable company selling this chassis. Suspension doesn't have more travel than seat posts, just thought it was neat since it would fully suspend the frame too for drinks and what not.

I don't think weight really matters a ton if you're not doing jumps or anything and just heading to krogers, the pool, neighbors house for grilling which I need to hurry up for lol! I saw them fold up fine to fit in the back of an SUV, something even my regular bike can't easily do, and can store them in a box in the garage when not in use. High volume low pressure tires should be nice and cushiony and keep their pressure for longer and be pretty agnostic about terrain and not dig into cracks or joints or anything as easily, and while they are less efficient, I'm not sure that really matters much when I'm going such short distances and instead of my 150 watts of leg power have up to 1000 watts of assist available to more than overcome the extra friction and weight. Personally, I think they look pretty cool, almost like a motorcycle or moped.

I know larger wheels would be even smoother experience, but then they are bigger and won't fold up as small.
They're definitely fun to ride, and pretty well suit your purposes. I'd say don't even worry about rear suspension on a fat folder.

I have both a rear hub fat folder, and a mid-drive e-bike with a Shimano motor. While I MUCH prefer the mid-drive overall, the fat folder is more convenient for grocery runs, and the more utilitarian "A to B" type trips you're describing. My SO has tried the mid-drive a few times, and she's more than happy to stick with the fat folder.

The throttle, fat tires, and lower centre of gravity make them great little mules, even in snowy conditions.

I know you mentioned folding, and the Radrunner Plus. Should just point out that particular bike doesn't fold.

Back