Are you going to buy a Riese & Müller?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
We have managed to amass a collection of Bosch powered bikes, one gen 1, two gen 2, two CX Performance and two gen 4 2021 Superdelites HS. The Superdelite certainly seems to have the least torque of all, even less than my wife's first bike the gen 1 which I seem to recall was rated at around 60Nm. My CX performance will start up like a startled gazelle, the Superdelite more like a reluctant schoolboy on a Monday morning. Perhaps it is an HS thing, although Bosch did say that the 2021 torque was now the same as the non-HS version. Perhaps it is but delivered differently, it certainly scoots along at higher speeds well. Whilst there is no standard way of measuring the torques on different bikes it is hard to know what is going on. I don't even know if they are measuring it before or after the gears. Also, the power curve seems narrower than previous generation motors. On the SuperDelite you really need to keep the revs up otherwise it fades quickly and you can stall before you can get the Rohloff to change down enough.
Curious to know if this relates to overall bike weight?

After reviewing the Gazelle, Bulls, and Specialized Bikes (as well as many others), the R&M Charger 3 Vario HS was my choice. The other bikes had some great components but lacked the total package. Weight of the bike was not a problem for me, I wanted an SUV like bike, with quality and excellence. The price was a gulp, but you know what they say...
Build date is early November, delivery date Mid December.

Late to the thread:
If I wanted to have a single, properly suspended and speed e-bike, that would probably be Bulls E-Stream EVO 45 AM. Or, I would invest in the Vado 6.0, (only missing the rear suspension but that can be made up with the Kinekt 2.1 seat-post). The major point is: I often need to carry my e-bikes in my hands. A heavy e-bike is disqualified for me.

P.S. The only feature appealing to me in the Homage is the suspended rack: worth every money!
Late to the thread:

Being the owner of:
  1. Top of the line (Speed) Vado 5.0 (equivalent of 2020 Euro 6.0): a fast commuter;
  2. Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro - a proper e-MTB;
  3. Lovelec, a quick traditional touring e-bike;
the question if I would buy a Riese & Mueller e-bike is answered NO.
  • Too expensive
  • Too heavy
  • Bosch motor (one noisy motor in my stable is more than enough, and the 85 Nm of the Gen 4 is same as in my Giant SyncDrive Pro)
If I wanted to have a single, properly suspended and speed e-bike, that would probably be Bulls E-Stream EVO 45 AM. Or, I would invest in the Vado 6.0, (only missing the rear suspension but that can be made up with the Kinekt 2.1 seat-post). The major point is: I often need to carry my e-bikes in my hands. A heavy e-bike is disqualified for me.

P.S. The only feature appealing to me in the Homage is the suspended rack: worth every money!

With all due respect: Expensive, heavy, Bosch Motor - that’s an entire set of brands and models that don’t meet your preferences, not really an R&M specific thing. But I appreciate the shortcomings. I don’t have to carry the bike much. My Bosch is a quiet hum, describing it as “noisy” would never occur to me. Personal stuff.

But - and we may agree on this - no Kinect or any other seatpost thingy can compare to a decent rear suspension. Seatpost is a little comfort patch for a hard tail bike, while decent rear suspension keeps your powered wheel on the surface, changes the ride characteristics, and provides better protection for almost all types of impact. I’d guess 99% of the EBikes on the market lack rear suspension for no reason other than cost.

R&M is one of the very, very few offering rear suspension on a general purpose bike. I’d guess that most R&M buyers were led here specifically because they offer rear suspension. (Aside from folks looking for a cargo bike). After we at all thought about modifying a E-MTB. So - anybody - is there a comparable out-of-the box full suspension bike as good or better than an R&M?

With all due respect: Expensive, heavy, Bosch Motor - that’s an entire set of brands and models that don’t meet your preferences, not really an R&M specific thing. But I appreciate the shortcomings. I don’t have to carry the bike much. My Bosch is a quiet hum, describing it as “noisy” would never occur to me. Personal stuff.

But - and we may agree on this - no Kinect or any other seatpost thingy can compare to a decent rear suspension. Seatpost is a little comfort patch for a hard tail bike, while decent rear suspension keeps your powered wheel on the surface, changes the ride characteristics, and provides better protection for almost all types of impact. I’d guess 99% of the EBikes on the market lack rear suspension for no reason other than cost.

R&M is one of the very, very few offering rear suspension on a general purpose bike. I’d guess that most R&M buyers were led here specifically because they offer rear suspension. (Aside from folks looking for a cargo bike). After we at all thought about modifying a E-MTB. So - anybody - is there a comparable out-of-the box full suspension bike as good or better than an R&M?

I came to RM in search for a full sus hybrid bike. Loads of toys and top spec bike. I searched everywhere and only RM offered this. Unfortunately, this costs!!!

But - and we may agree on this - no Kinect or any other seatpost thingy can compare to a decent rear suspension. Seatpost is a little comfort patch for a hard tail bike, while decent rear suspension keeps your powered wheel on the surface, changes the ride characteristics, and provides better protection

Yes. I’ve said it before, the 21 Bulls Iconic speed.

I own as many as three e-bikes, each of them performing its dedicated role. Why should I own something I couldn't lift upstairs?

That's why I own an e-MTB... Tell me R&M handles off-road better. Especially when it comes to carrying the bike over a fallen tree.

Bulls Bikes offer several e-bikes meeting the criteria of Class 3, full suspension, not necessarily the Bosch motor... Moustache have them, too.

Yes. I’ve said it before, the 21 Bulls Iconic speed.
This.

I did not want a fully suspended bike, seat post Thudbuster ST is perfect , less complicated and lighter weight. I love the look of the Charger 3.

My experience - Thudbuster and Kinekt are not nearly as capable or comfortable as full suspension bikes. It’s a night versus day difference in my book.

Just my opinion having ridden all three options

My choice of the Homage was based on the fact that it was the only step through full suspension bike I could find. I’m 71 with dodgy hips and I wanted something I could comfortably ride for the next several years.

Still getting over the $10K (x 2) sticker price shock for a couple of ......bicycles ‼

Last edited:
My experience - Thudbuster and Kinekt are not nearly as capable or comfortable as full suspension bikes. It’s a night versus day difference in my book.

Just my opinion having ridden all three options
For city/suburban use - yes. For rough off-road - no :)

I just want to point out that I think R&M are excellent e-bikes. I just don't need a single SUV but a fast commuter, an e-MTB, and a fast touring e-bike. If I, however, needed a single e-bike, that would be a Bulls. Still not that cheap.

The new Trek 2021 Powerfly 9 Equipped fits that bill.

One 2021 model from Bulls also.

Agree re belt… the low maintenance is a big plus
2020-09-25-065634-2400-w1g6b1-sai.jpg

Wow, how many km on that puppy? I surprised at that amount of wear.
15,000 km until total failure of the belt drive. Note: no warning whatsoever.
  • If I had to replace my 2019 Homage (theft, etc.), I'd unhesitatingly choose the 2021 Homage with Rohloff and Gates Carbon Drive.
  • If I felt compelled to add another R&M to my ebike collection (why not?), I'd choose the 2021 Homage with derailleur/chain option.

I would love to put 15K kms on my bike. That's quite an achievement as I see it. I am also happy that, despite the issues you have had with your Homage, you would replace it with the 2021 model.

Back