Archon X1 upgrade officially available for Bafang Ultra !

pushkar

Phew. This took a while. I just put up the product on the site

Highlights
  1. Programmable up to 2300W nominal
  2. Higher efficiency. 15% gain in range for the same battery pack
  3. Lower overall operating temperature for the motor
  4. Smoother assist and ramp up through top seed
  5. Throttle enabled
  6. Custom Display is in the works. Will be available soon.
Current WW customers if you are interested in the upgrade, please DM me and I will send you a code for special pricing.

Will the custom display be easily readable like the ultra color display? Hopefully it's an improvement over the eggrider or m600 display which can't be read with sunglasses.

Just watched the video, surprised that you can't swap out 48V battery with 52V. Is there a reason why tuning is dependent on voltage?

Just watched the video, surprised that you can't swap out 48V battery with 52V. Is there a reason why tuning is dependent on voltage?
You can do that. But needs the programming to re-write the firmware. It’s it not available right away so for the next 2-3 months it will be hard to do.

Will the custom display be easily readable like the ultra color display? Hopefully it's an improvement over the eggrider or m600 display which can't be read with sunglasses.
Yes it will be replaceable - same cabling as the DPC-18. I’ll test more in the sun this week. The hardware is similar to the egg rider (same sw 102) but I’ll check and report back.

Very nice, I don't think there is any motor on the market than can touch this combo right now.
It is amazing how much progress you have made in just the last year as a new company. I think you are going to need a bigger facility/warehouse in a couple years.

I watched the video lot's of details to absorb, basically Bafang launched this motor in Beta mode, like Windows used to launch some of their new systems.
Watt Wagons took it to alpha with this new controller. I noticed from the picture on your site it said V2 as in version 2, is this an upgrade from the original Exess launched last year?

Reactions: Ayl
Yes it will be replaceable - same cabling as the DPC-18. I’ll test more in the sun this week. The hardware is similar to the egg rider (same sw 102) but I’ll check and report back.

I meant readable, like the DPC-18. I can read it just fine with sunglasses. I can't read the M600 display with sunglasses. I have heard similar complaints about the eggrider display. Sounds like it will be the same SW 102 display as eggrider so no go for me. I am always riding with sunglasses.

Seems like to use the DPC-18 display (or any of the other Ultra compatible displays) it needs to be the 1000W version of the controller?

Will the app option require interfacing with the SW 102 display or is all the hardware for bluetooth connectivity already in the controller?

Can you clarify on the programming, if the user doesn't buy the $200 programming cable they can't tune the 2 profiles? I'm not sure why anyone would invest $700+ in this controller and not have any programmability. $200 seems steep just to do this. I understand why you might charge $200 for software updates as that development needs to be funded.

@pushkar, I think you read it wrong. @tomdav was asking whether the New UCP Pro display will be readable, not replaceable. :)

Seems like to use the DPC-18 display (or any of the other Ultra compatible displays) it needs to be the 1000W version of the controller?

Umm.. not really. The motor i showed in the video was 750W motor. The display wattage part of the display will be off but speed, settings etc will all work.

Will the app option require interfacing with the SW 102 display or is all the hardware for bluetooth connectivity already in the controller?

BLE is already on the controller. Our ideal path is to not have a display but a completely wireless app. Not there yet but future state.

Can you clarify on the programming, if the user doesn't buy the $200 programming cable they can't tune the 2 profiles? I'm not sure why anyone would invest $700+ in this controller and not have any programmability. $200 seems steep just to do this. I understand why you might charge $200 for software updates as that development needs to be funded.

So you are a founder - you don't need to order any extras (harness or display). If you are ordering the controller upgrade, I will ship you the software and the harness (backlogged on harness but should be here late July).

Yes, the $200 is steep but we expect to release 2-4 versions over the coming years. And you are right, a sizable part of that is towards dev of the firmware. We have a fairly tight roadmap.

Thanks, i was asking the question from the perspective of a purchaser of the Archon X1 upgrade. I realize I get freebies for the founder superbike on order, but I wouldn't expect to get those freebies on a completely separate purchase (in this case I would be upgrading my Frey CC). If the freebees translate beyone my superbike purchase, that's great, but doesn't seem I would be doing my part to fund development of the software.

So getting back to the question, to tweak the profiles you need to purchase a harness or display, correct? If someone purchased two upgraded controllers, they can just buy 1 harness and use it to program both controllers, including 2 years of upgrades for both controllers?

So getting back to the question, to tweak the profiles you need to purchase a harness or display, correct? If someone purchased two upgraded controllers, they can just buy 1 harness and use it to program both controllers, including 2 years of upgrades for both controllers?

Yes - you need harness to program.
Yes. Multiple motors with single harness / license. I should make this clearer - you can have multiple motors, but if you purchase the harness / software updates, those are applicable to all controllers for the same owner (currently tracked by an email ID).

Further, we track the SN to the controller + motor. So in the case that the original owner sells this motor to someone, just email us the new owner's email and we will transfer the remaining period of the upgrades to them.

I will add better verbiage to the site. Thanks for bringing this up.

Thanks, that's awesome it's a user license as opposed to a controller license, makes it much more palatable for anyone with multiple Bafang Ultra motors, as well as providing an incentive to upgrade more than one.

Glad to see Ultra Users are going to be able to get a decent controller with programability now.

Just joined the club as well. Happy to support the development of this product.

Woo Hoo, Ordered! :)

Nice, I am really happy that more of you guys are going to get to try the Archon out, I'm totally looking forward to hearing what you all think of it.
Did either of you go for the higher wattage version?

Pushkar, I have a quick question and its a little of topic, it is not something I'm going to do straight away because I have had enough of disassembling my bike for a while but, is it possible to get a wiring harness that only has the display and throttle connections or just the display conector?
Just wondering because I do not use the brake sensors at all and I'm in 2 minds if I want to keep the throttle, I would love to have less wiring that is easier to keep tidy.
I certainly will want to do this when I decide to start making a new bike.

Last edited:
I went with the higher wattage version for a couple reasons. First I wanted to be able to provide feedback in terms of the 3 power levels. Second, pushkar was willing to send my founders series motor in advance so that I didn't have to pull the motor off my Frey CC and wait for them to upgrade it. That way I can swap out and ship him the motor from my CC without down time and just have them upgrade it to the same spec that will ship with the founders superbike.

Pushkar, I have a quick question and its a little of topic, it is not something I'm going to do straight away because I have had enough of disassembling my bike for a while but, is it possible to get a wiring harness that only has the display and throttle connections or just the display conector?
Just wondering because I do not use the brake sensors at all and I'm in 2 minds if I want to keep the throttle, I would love to have less wiring that is easier to keep tidy.
I certainly will want to do this when I decide to start making a new bike.

Check with california ebike https://california-ebike.com/ - they may be able to build you one.

Phew. This took a while. I just put up the product on the site
Highlights
  1. Programmable up to 2300W nominal
  2. Higher efficiency. 15% gain in range for the same battery pack
  3. Lower overall operating temperature for the motor
  4. Smoother assist and ramp up through top speed
  5. Throttle enabled
  6. Custom Display is in the works. Will be available soon.
Current WW customers if you are interested in the upgrade, please DM me and I will send you a code for special pricing.

Congrats and well done!

I went with the higher wattage version for a couple reasons. First I wanted to be able to provide feedback in terms of the 3 power levels. Second, pushkar was willing to send my founders series motor in advance so that I didn't have to pull the motor off my Frey CC and wait for them to upgrade it. That way I can swap out and ship him the motor from my CC without down time and just have them upgrade it to the same spec that will ship with the founders superbike.
That's pretty cool. I'm eager to find out what you think of the ride with the Bafang with Archon X1.

Back