Archon X1 upgrade officially available for Bafang Ultra !

One thing I dislike about the Bafang Ultra throttle is it is more of an on/off response. Sure, you can half press, but it's not really practical. When I use throttle it's usually all or nothing. Wondering if with the X1 there is a way to program one of the keypad buttons so it works as full throttle when you hold down the button, similar to walk mode. That way I could just ditch the throttle if I wanted and free up space on the handlebar. Side benefit would be if riding where throttle is a no go it might be less a point of contention.

Well, I was thinking more what's programmable with the X1 controller in terms of mapping buttons, etc. This wouldn't necessarily be for my superbike. I just put Ergon GP5 grips on my Frey CC and with the side horns providing additional perspective I immediately noticed the left brake lever is pushed an inch further in on the side with throttle. It struck me how silly it is to have a throttle there when it's more of an on and off response and could be replaced by a button on the keypad.

I agree... I have seen the same thing but I live with it.

1. Everyone is somewhat familiar with long press plus button to sport / eco and walk mode. What type of interaction will you think is ideal ?
2. What do you think about re-mapping buttons just from a usability perspective ?

Most probably wouldn't use it. I have to admit it took me a week before I bothered to figure out how to change kilometers to miles, but it might be something to cool to have in there if it wasn't a significant effort to implement. Heck, I'd love it if I could tweak things so long press wasn't required to turn on the power or lights. Another thing I hate about the Bafang keypad lol. While you're at it can you add Alexa support? Just kidding! Although wouldn't that be cool? Alexa please turn on my lights.

One of my bikes has the thumb throttle located farther in following the brake lever, and the other has the throttle first then the brake lever. I've not really noticed too much of a difference in handling the brakes or the throttle. I'm more annoyed that they are on different sides of the bike, and since one has the dual trigger shifters it is not practical to move things around there. The other one has the cheapest button/lever Suntour indexed-shifted and I actually prefer it, and the ergo allow it to work well next to a throttle for me. I'll never got used to the dual triggers shifter that seem to operate backwards in my mind. It would be nice if these throttle bodies were not so fat, they take up way to much room on the handle bar; one of mine is a little worse than the other. Seems like these could be slimed down quite easily. It might be nice to have a button just above the throttle lever that would give you max-throttle, but button alone would not do it for me.

Last edited:
One thing I dislike about the Bafang Ultra throttle is it is more of an on/off response. Sure, you can half press, but it's not really practical. When I use throttle it's usually all or nothing. Wondering if with the X1 there is a way to program one of the keypad buttons so it works as full throttle when you hold down the button, similar to walk mode. That way I could just ditch the throttle if I wanted and free up space on the handlebar. Side benefit would be if riding where throttle is a no go it might be less a point of contention.

That's one of the reasons , I took mine off. Way too jumpy.

image.jpg

Testing each motor at 2300W, throttle, 30 minutes, with the Kindernay.
Kindernay is a beast.
I’ll post a video soon.

Yeah the thumb throttle is a bit naff on mine both with the original and upgrade, but that does not bother me to much as my original idea was to not run a throttle anyway.
I ended up keeping it on because It has come in useful on occasion like getting through water without risk of getting my feet wet.
But I will probably take it off, mainly because of my nephew's and there fiddling.
On a few occasions I have pulled up to say hello to them and they cant help themselves but to touch things on the handlebars.
Also I have knocked it myself a few times at a standstill and ended up with the saddle smashing into my lower back.
Also in the UK motorbikes have the throttle and front brake on the right hand side so to feel natural I need the ebike throttle to be on that side aswell.
Which kinda makes it cramped with the gear pod.

Yeah the thumb throttle is a bit naff on mine both with the original and upgrade, but that does not bother me to much as my original idea was to not run a throttle anyway.
I ended up keeping it on because It has come in useful on occasion like getting through water without risk of getting my feet wet.
But I will probably take it off, mainly because of my nephew's and there fiddling.
On a few occasions I have pulled up to say hello to them and they cant help themselves but to touch things on the handlebars.
Also I have knocked it myself a few times at a standstill and ended up with the saddle smashing into my lower back.
Also in the UK motorbikes have the throttle and front brake on the right hand side so to feel natural I need the ebike throttle to be on that side aswell.
Which kinda makes it cramped with the gear pod.
The controller may have a safety feature you can set that will not allow the throttle from a stoped position, however It removes some usefulness of having the throttle.

Phew. This took a while. I just put up the product on the site

Highlights
  1. Programmable up to 2300W nominal
  2. Higher efficiency. 15% gain in range for the same battery pack
  3. Lower overall operating temperature for the motor
  4. Smoother assist and ramp up through top seed
  5. Throttle enabled
  6. Custom Display is in the works. Will be available soon.
Current WW customers if you are interested in the upgrade, please DM me and I will send you a code for special pricing.

Archon controller compatibility and efficiency questions.

Since the Bafang Ultra/620 has been out for a while now, I understand there have been at least two factory controller updates/revisions having to do with the rotor shaft rotation position sensing system. The earliest version used a standard 3 hall effect sensor arrangement embedded in the stator structure, while a later version uses a chip mounted on the controller circuit board to sense the position of a bar magnet placed on top of an underlying spinning shaft.

Is the Archon retrofit compatible with both arrangements or only the standard Hall triad system? I ask this because I just ordered a Sondors LX step through fat bike (based solely on a computer rendering of its high chainstay frame in much the same way I bought a Frey CC for the look of its full suspension frame) which apparently will come with the new CAN bus version of the controller/motor which may or may not have the vestigial 3 Hall sensors. For Winter riding application I was thinking I might need all the power I can get out of the motor, but even if I don’t, it’s always good to have options.

Regarding efficiency: Early on in the FREY forum it was reported by a couple of fellow CC owners that they were getting 13 to 15 or so miles on a charge using throttle only over fairly flat terrain. I see coincidentally both have ordered the upgrade, but apparently for vastly different reasons. If both could repeat their earlier range tests with the new controller under as close to the same conditions as their previous runs, it might be informative.

Stay Well

Since the Bafang Ultra/620 has been out for a while now, I understand there have been at least two factory controller updates/revisions having to do with the rotor shaft rotation position sensing system. The earliest version used a standard 3 hall effect sensor arrangement embedded in the stator structure, while a later version uses a chip mounted on the controller circuit board to sense the position of a bar magnet placed on top of an underlying spinning shaft.

Is the Archon retrofit compatible with both arrangements or only the standard Hall triad system? I ask this because I just ordered a Sondors LX step through fat bike (based solely on a computer rendering of its high chainstay frame in much the same way I bought a Frey CC for the look of its full suspension frame) which apparently will come with the new CAN bus version of the controller/motor which may or may not have the vestigial 3 Hall sensors. For Winter riding application I was thinking I might need all the power I can get out of the motor, but even if I don’t, it’s always good to have options.

Regarding efficiency: Early on in the FREY forum it was reported by a couple of fellow CC owners that they were getting 13 to 15 or so miles on a charge using throttle only over fairly flat terrain. I see coincidentally both have ordered the upgrade, but apparently for vastly different reasons. If both could repeat their earlier range tests with the new controller under as close to the same conditions as their previous runs, it might be informative.

Stay Well

What a fantastic upgrade for that Sondors LX that only cost 2K, for only about $800. I would be very interested to see the performance upgrade on that fatty which is running running 4.9" wheels from this.
Probably need to run in PAS 3, if regular Ebikes only need 1 and 2.

Since the Bafang Ultra/620 has been out for a while now, I understand there have been at least two factory controller updates/revisions having to do with the rotor shaft rotation position sensing system.
The earliest version used a standard 3 hall effect sensor arrangement embedded in the stator structure,

while a later version uses a chip mounted on the controller circuit board to sense the position of a bar magnet placed on top of an underlying spinning shaft.

Is the Archon retrofit compatible with both arrangements or only the standard Hall triad system?

Archon is only compatible with the second version you highlighted (chip on circuit board).

The controller may have a safety feature you can set that will not allow the throttle from a stoped position, however It removes some usefulness of having the throttle.
You can throttle from a dead stop on our controller.

Last edited:

Stay Well
I pre-ordered the Sondors LX as well for basically the same reason. Between the elevated chainstay completely above the driveline and the fact it has a vertical drop out with horizontal adjustment makes the frame perfect for a belt drive IGH conversion. Hoping the CANbus configuration doesn't make for a difficult conversion with Archon X1. Pushkar said he's aiming for Q1 which is when the bike should arrive (fingers crossed no more delays 🙄)

I pre-ordered the Sondors LX as well for basically the same reason. Between the elevated chainstay completely above the driveline and the fact it has a vertical drop out with horizontal adjustment makes the frame perfect for a belt drive IGH conversion. Hoping the CANbus configuration doesn't make for a difficult conversion with Archon X1. Pushkar said he's aiming for Q1 which is when the bike should arrive (fingers crossed no more delays 🙄)
I was thinking of doing what you doing as well, to save a ton of money, that conversion might just be the best least expensive system on the market, please post on EBR once completed, I am eager to know how it performs and feels.

I was thinking of doing what you doing as well, to save a ton of money, that conversion might just be the best least expensive system on the market, please post on EBR once completed, I am eager to know how it performs and feels.
I have every intention of doing it but funds and free time are tight. Full time job and a 2yo suck the life out of me. The bike will probably only get one or two quick uses a week. My plan is to get the X1 upgrade and run it on the stock drivetrain for a little while. The belt/IGH conversion I am still researching. After seeing Pushkar offer the Sturmey Archer 3 speed I started thinking that might be my route for the conversion due to its low price and robust design. Also I live on Long Island which is basically flat so gear ranges for hills really don't serve any purpose for me. I will surely be reporting back with results along the way 👍

Back