APPLE AIRTAGS THE NEW BIKE LOJACK?

Seems like a good use case for double-sided tape.
I bought a 4 pack to play with, but no real expectations that it would be effective at getting a bike back at this point.

Seems like a good use case for double-sided tape.
I bought a 4 pack to play with, but no real expectations that it would be effective at getting a bike back at this point.
they are round backed so it would not really work well. plus the silicone glue is easier to remove.

So, any of you tried an AirTag test near any of your ebike’s wiring? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s not what I asked. I’m not worried about Bluetooth. The question involved putting one of these in/next to the wiring.
I have blue tool all over my bike its not a problem. well some really cheap bikes may put out a lot of noise but I doubt it will effect bluetooth.

My single came yesterday. I will be the owner of a 4 pack too. Impressive tag!

From the videos I have seen on YouTube testing this out as a bicycle tracker it seems to work very well and they manage to find the test thief. I will place mine under my seat.
Also you can easily open it up and remove the speaker so that it won’t make any sound to alert non iPhone users if needed.

I placed an air tag inside the stem of my electric scooter which is locked up in the bike room at work. The bike room has a metal-skinned door to the outside world. Looks like it hasn’t been pinged since it lost contact with my phone. On average, 3-5 people use the bike room so either everyone is coming in late today or it’s too well shielded.
02DB40FC-4C5F-42D5-A25E-1E2C602FB1AD.jpeg

I placed an air tag inside the stem of my electric scooter which is locked up in the bike room at work. The bike room has a metal-skinned door to the outside world. Looks like it hasn’t been pinged since it lost contact with my phone. On average, 3-5 people use the bike room so either everyone is coming in late today or it’s too well shielded.
Thank you…that’s the kind of info I’m curious about. I realize there’s no theft proof system but just curious about everyday expectations for these ATs and how best to use them. I put mine within wiring and rode 27 miles today. It certainly showed up on the map and sounded the alarm properly.
E3133BE4-9CCE-4CB5-98FD-E35C3C0BC4E4.jpeg

View attachment 87338
Update. I’ve seen a few pings since this post. Guess it’s people coming in late.

Last edited:
Costco online. Free delivery.
I see your listed as from San Francisco. Two Costco stores near me in the smaller cities of Santa Rosa and Rohnert Park didn't even have them listed. Costco on line does not show them when using my zip code. (I'll try searching with a SF zip.)

I wonder if they released them in a big city to help get them a more successful start.

I see your listed as from San Francisco. Two Costco stores near me in the smaller cities of Santa Rosa and Rohnert Park didn't even have them listed. Costco on line does not show them when using my zip code. (I'll try searching with a SF zip.)

I wonder if they released them in a big city to help get them a more successful start.
You’re right. I no longer see them on their site. It may have just been a presale link that I purchased through.

Thanks for the clarifying info WattsUp.

I just got a $99 order through Best Buy for 4. They said they will let me know when shipped.

So after yesterdays ride, I took my Allant+7 to my LBS for an update/tightening/measuring visit. Went home and tracked the bike‘s location (several miles away) perfectly. Complete with 2 different directions and time to get there.👍
Had to laugh but this is a fun real world test video.

FYI…drove an hour each way to ride a grass trail in a nature reserve and do some shopping. The AT worked perfectly after riding and being locked on the rack for an hour. I also checked it frequently while shopping. First time I’ve ever done that and it gave me a real secure feeling. I also had my GoPro set up and recording the whole time I was inside. That said I didn’t leave it alone for long.
1EC461A3-74F9-4863-AE6C-1D780B6C636A.jpeg
41DBF14F-F5EE-453B-9D0B-7790AF0AE2C5.jpeg

Like other devices of this type, they can easily be defeated using EMF shielding. "Professional" bike thieves are aware of these tracking devices and usually cover the stolen bike with a Faraday blanket. In addition to keeping the stolen merchandise out of sight in the back of a van or truck, these blankets effectively block almost all electromagnetic radiation.

Tracking devices of this sort can be effective against a casual thief however.
Haha - if one of these toothless meth heads has any idea of what a Faraday blanket is -I’ll eat my EBike-

Back