Anything significantly new/different coming for the 2023 season?

FrankR

Region
USA
City
Milky Way Galaxy
I watched a fascinating YouTube video about the possibilities of sodium ion batteries, but it sounds like it will be a while before it could possibly trickle into the eBike world.

Anything significantly new/different coming for the 2023 season?

How about U.S. dealers? Any other names emerging and building out dealer channels?

We have the one bike, purchased the wrong way, and I have my wife agreeing to #2 for her. If things go decently at tax time, and, I use my common sense, I will purchase from a local dealer, so that I actually have a support and parts channel.
In my region, we have a single legit dealer - Pedego. Will pay more there than my #1 mail order special, but, it will be worth it for someone like me.

Looking forward to March.

My 2023 predictions:
  • Light(er) ebikes (14 - 18kg) go properly mainstream
  • Corporate brands will continue to gobble up ma and pa bike stores
  • There wil be a glut of used ebikes as reality sinks in/enthusiasm wears off for aspirational pandemic owners
  • No quantum leaps in motor or battery tech (though I would like to see that tasty TQ motor in more bikes)

Scott bikes are somewhat off my ‘radar, being something of a SPEZ fan, but the new Scott Lumen REALLY seems to be something of a step-change…

…having the concealed shock, the TQ motor, and the being of the lightest eMTB ever produced, and the 20-second remove 2’nd water bottle, replace with range extender really seems innovative!
(second post - go easy on me!)
Chris

Scott bikes are somewhat off my ‘radar, being something of a SPEZ fan, but the new Scott Lumen REALLY seems to be something of a step-change…

…having the concealed shock, the TQ motor, and the being of the lightest eMTB ever produced, and the 20-second remove 2’nd water bottle, replace with range extender really seems innovative!
(second post - go easy on me!)
Chris
Nice looking man. 34lbs! A bit weak on Wh. 360Wh and 160Wh. But some really sweet details.

Nice looking man. 34lbs! A bit weak on Wh. 360Wh and 160Wh. But some really sweet details.
Yes, could be seen to be ‘weak’, but I have a 50 pound (23kg) eBike, with 500 watt motor, and don’t ’need’nor use it all, so I am convincing myself 360w on a lighter bike, + optional range-extender, is all I need, but the top-of-the-range-model is a eye-watering €16,000!

but I do like the design/design values.
(and they DO do cheaper models… :)
Cheers
Chris

In the past year or two the prices for high-end bikes, both regular and e-powered have gone through the roof.
I've read online that because demand is down and production is up the price for new bikes may fall, but I have my doubts about it happening where I live (Canada).

I'm pretty interested in the new CYC Photon for a DIY conversion this summer.

Want to see some reviews (especially comparisons to the TSDZ2) before making a final decision.

Keeping macro economic in view, I think prices of all ebikes would fall a lot. A lot of crazy things happened during pandemic due to trillions of dollar printed by FED.

I think that eBikes are recession proof. You save a ton of money over driving a car. People who purchased pandemic bikes now have more discerning tastes and will go up market. The fat folders will go to homeless shelters where they will fall apart and catch fire. The CYC is cool. I do not like that it requires a smart phone. That is dumb. I have been cell phone free for three years. It is wonderful not being among the living dead walking with their heads down while being tracked and remote controlled 24/7/365. The down swipe was based on slot machines.

I think that eBikes are recession proof. You save a ton of money over driving a car. People who purchased pandemic bikes now have more discerning tastes and will go up market. The fat folders will go to homeless shelters where they will fall apart and catch fire.
Your logic is correct in a narrow sense, the trouble is in the US most users are recreational, and the market is about sales of new units, not daily usage. Ebikes as $2000 toys seem pretty recession sensitive.

That said, ebike subsidies are popping up everywhere. We will see a lot of them in 2023, but it won't be until 2024-5 when see ones that actually come close to meeting demand (like $500 per 1% of the population or $5 per person).

In the past year or two the prices for high-end bikes, both regular and e-powered have gone through the roof.
I've read online that because demand is down and production is up the price for new bikes may fall, but I have my doubts about it happening where I live (Canada).
It's seems they do put the screws to you in Canda a little more. I do think prices will level out maybe drop a little late 23 early 24. I'm wondering if will see any major improvement with some of the bike like we did with some of the 22?

US most users are recreational
Good point, that is true. And my word of mouth local micro market is not representative. We are weird. In this area there is excellent bike infrastructure. It takes 7 minutes to cross town using an eBike and 22 in a car, then finding parking, then walking from parking. In all bikes are about 4 times faster than cars. The mom's with cargo bikes are super attractive and the kids are laughing. It is its own advertising for the lifestyle shift. NPR did a story of mom's with cargo bikes yesterday. Saving $400 per month begins to add up. A family does not need two cars when they have an eCargo bike. The mom's have slim waists and arms and long trim legs that the ones stuck in SUV's envy. They look like day old mashed potatoes over stuffed into stretchy pants. The stress hormones from driving a car also take a toll on those poor souls.

Attachments

• GaryFisherCargo8.jpg
    GaryFisherCargo8.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 165
  • GaryFisherCargoA.jpg
    GaryFisherCargoA.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 165
@Asher, Count me in. During a trial about 4 days in the parents tried to put a tot into his car seat. He ran away. Climbed onto the cargo bike and wouldn't budge. Kids love it. Also the moms. But, dads reap the real benefits, a hot wife who is hip and cool and mellowly content. Don't fear the reaper. More Cow Bell for 2023!=More hot moms on bikes.

@Asher, Count me in. During a trial about 4 days in the parents tried to put a tot into his car seat. He ran away. Climbed onto the cargo bike and wouldn't budge. Kids love it. Also the moms. But, dads reap the real benefits, a hot wife who is hip and cool and mellowly content. Don't fear the reaper. More Cow Bell for 2023!=More hot moms on bikes.
Great post! My wife loves her ebike and she does look good on it too! We both love the extra cash flow from only having one car. I suspect in 2023 there will be ebike companies consolidating as well as reducing the number of models they sell (rip rad mission)

Back