Anyone with an Electric tandem recumbent trike?

Bruce Clark

I would like to know if anyone besides me has installed an electric pedal assist on their tandem recumbent trike. If so, what has your experience been.
I have installed a Go Swiss Drive 550w on a Terratrike Rover tandem. Really enjoying the assist.

That sounds pretty great! I personally have not and do not know anyone who has done a tandem recumbent trike. I would love to see some photos if you would like to share!

Hi Tara. I run a non-profit which does active, safe and adaptive cycling for persons with disabilities. Since starting Cody's Ride we found a need to have power assist. We installed the pedal assist system on one of our 5 tandem recumbent trikes. I think we will be installing the electric assist on all our bikes. On our Facebook page I created a post about the bike. Post date was Oct. 15, 2015.

What a terrific idea! Never even seen a tandem recumbent but it's a great idea to get the disabled on bicycles.

And electric assist increases the ride distance and speed. Terrific

Wish you well.

@Bruce Clark I checked out your Facebook page this morning and saw your modification video and also the October 15th post where the Go Swiss electric drive system was received Due to BuhlerPrince and Go Swiss Drive generosity! I really think your organization is doing a great service to the disabled community and am glad the assist has been beneficial, I hope to hear in the future that the other bikes are getting equipped with it! Its a wonderful thing when we let our children touch our hearts and inspire us to create, do, and be more for them and our community. West Michigan has been blessed by you both!

Hi Bruce. Is the GoSwiss a non-geared hub motor? If so, a geared hub motor would likely give you more pull without heating up so readily. Under large loads gearless motors use more electricity and thus get hot. Might never be an issue on flats (or may be in 10 miles like my Falco) but in hills for sure. I would guess the "double" weight would simulate hills on the flats and make a geared hub or mid drive and more satisfactory choice for more folks. FWIW
PS - The newest generation of gearless motors sets this "old" advice on it's ear as they are very very strong!

Back