Anyone use a trainer with your ebike?

irenewg13

Region
USA
City
MadCity, Peoples Republic of Madison
Are there specialized trainers for ebikes?

Can a regular trainer be used, with an ebike?

Thanks

What do you mean by a regular trainer? Are you asking about an ebike with hub motor? We're going to need more info.

Are there specialized trainers for ebikes?

To my knowledge, there are no e-bike specific trainers.

Can a regular trainer be used, with an ebike?

I do not see why not. The only difficulties would be if there was any obstructions on the bike's wheel axle that would prevent mounting the bike; for example, an internally geared hub would not work with a trainer. Also, because an e-bike is heavy, you might need a second person to hold the bike while you aligned the rear end of the bike into the trainer.

Last edited:
Being a complete noob on e-bikes and not knowing anything about trainers, I am trying to figure out why you would use an e-bike on a trainer. I suppose you could post some pretty impressive exercise stats?

It could be that the OP does not own a regular bicycle and does not want to buy a dedicated exercise bike. An e-bike does not have to be powered on to use in a trainer. Or maybe the OP just wants to burn some rubber!

We have used them at the shop at times for load testing bikes during inclement weather. Depending on the model you may need to modify the axle clamps for wire clearance, but for our use it was not an issue since we ran the bike in a power stand anyway. Have to check to see what ones we used. Not much need of them since we moved to the larger location can ride inside or ask one of the young robust guys or gals to brave the elements. Have to see what we have around not much call for them. We get them donated to the shop on occasion and usually pass them on.

I'm not the OP, but I found this thread because I had the same question. Why use a trainer with an ebike? For the same reason you'd use a trainer with a regular bike: because sometimes it's too cold or inclement to ride outside, or you just want to ride in the house. As already noted, you don't have to have the power on on an ebike.

For me, I actually already have a non-ebike hooked up to a trainer, and I'm still interested in hooking my bike up to it. Why? My ebike is more comfortable, and I prefer using it.

My ebike trainer sits right next to my downhill treadmill and stepper.

This misguided joke implies that there'd be no point in using an ebike with a trainer. Completely false. Even if one were to use the ebike motor with a trainer, one would still get a workout.

Also, just came across this, which looks pretty cool. This ebike comes with its own trainer and it recharges the battery when you pedal while using the trainer. Looks cool (though expensive).

https://newatlas.com/falco-edrive-trainer/47335/

Last edited:
You could wire up a dynamo to the trainer and use the energy generated to charge your battery to power the wheels to drive the dynamo to charge the battery to power the wheels to...……...you get it.

You could wire up a dynamo to the trainer and use the energy generated to charge your battery to power the wheels to drive the dynamo to charge the battery to power the wheels to...……...you get it.

So you're saying it would be an unlimited source of free energy! Wow, amazing!!

I have a Giant Road e+1 and connect it to a Bkool Smart Trainer for the winter and it connects just like any other bike, just neede to change the skwer for the QR one that came with the trainer. It offers me video rides all over the world so use it unpowered and choose rides that are not too hilly, but have also used the Bkool velodrome rides where you can compete with others, but as an old man I always loose....
One day on a race when the last over the line was knocked out, I decided to "cheat" by fitted a deristricting device and turning on the power just when I was about to be knocked out.. Needless to say the other riders did not like this, and, for once I really was "cheating"
Using a trainer has to be the most boring of excersises so I go out whenever I can but when I cant the Smart option makes it a bit less so..

That sounds great. I wonder if those things are available with regular trainers, something you can hook up to it? Even without competing with others, it would be nice to have some scenery via a VR headset or whatever.

That sounds great. I wonder if those things are available with regular trainers, something you can hook up to it? Even without competing with others, it would be nice to have some scenery via a VR headset or whatever.
The thing about smart trainers is their ability to offer variable and realistic resistance. Google bkool for more info and then widen your search to YouTube, but bear in mind that your bike needs to be able to take a std qr spindle.

Much later but I came here with same question. I have a TopStone Neo and only use the motor late in long rides on hills where I can be prone to cramp (I’m 57 and this seems to happen more with age). I have a NotdicTrack spin bike but it takes up space that I would like to reclaim. I may never get a trainer but it would be nice to know it’s an option before selling the spin bike. It’s a mid-drive motor on the TopStone. My guess is it should be fine.

I use my Trek Powerfly 5 on my Kinetic Rock-N-Roll stationary trainer. I keep the motor off and just use it as if it’s a non-ebike on the trainer.
This has worked very well.

I do install a narrower rear wheel to accommodate the trainer-specific tire.

I'm not the OP, but I found this thread because I had the same question. Why use a trainer with an ebike? For the same reason you'd use a trainer with a regular bike: because sometimes it's too cold or inclement to ride outside, or you just want to ride in the house. As already noted, you don't have to have the power on on an ebike.

For me, I actually already have a non-ebike hooked up to a trainer, and I'm still interested in hooking my bike up to it. Why? My ebike is more comfortable, and I prefer using it.

This misguided joke implies that there'd be no point in using an ebike with a trainer. Completely false. Even if one were to use the ebike motor with a trainer, one would still get a workout.

Also, just came across this, which looks pretty cool. This ebike comes with its own trainer and it recharges the battery when you pedal while using the trainer. Looks cool (though expensive).

https://newatlas.com/falco-edrive-trainer/47335/
I came here with the same question and the reasons I want to put my ebike on a trainer is so I can make use of my ebike that has been sitting in my hallway for a year since I got my first car, and the city I live traffic is horrible for bicycles, winter is long and I hate summer, also I am having some heart health issues at the moment and need to start exercising and I prefer to start slowly on my bike indoors where it's safe in case I pass out, and I thought of getting a treadmill but I have a bike and a trainer why not make use of that?! I honest just don't know how to hook them together. Tons of reasons to why do what the original op asked.

Back