Anyone take their Turbo Como Off-road?

M
Hi Stefan. My wife was slipping and falling on loose pack and gravel so I went with the arguably stickiest knobbies I could find. Doesn't seem to hurt the Como too much on pavement in terms of speed, my wife said the increase in her handling confidence on slippery gravel, roots and other surfaces which use to make her nervous is worth the swap. It's been awhile since I have upgraded MTB tires on my analog bikes, so I was surprised at the relative high price of the Maxxis. I remember when I could buy top rated Kevlar tires for $20 dollars. Oh well. Btw, I hope the Baramind Bam Trek I ordered works well. It seems like it is a safe and reliable bar.
My LBS said much the same about just changing the tires to mud and snow tires and the Como should be fine. I chickened out of riding in snow, so didn't try them, but his explanation of the geometry and balance made sense at the time.
And a lot of his customers are Mennonite/Amish, so they must ride accoustic bikes in mud and snow.

Btw, I hope the Baramind Bam Trek I ordered works well.
Don't expect miracles but you should be happy with these bars. I have noticed our (relatively) heavy e-bikes are more susceptible to shock and vibration than lightweight bikes such as Vado SL are. For instance, riding off the curb on my Vado hurts (it is like a little jump) while doing same on Vado SL is almost a pleasure. The Baramind handlebars (and, say, Kinekt 2.1 seat-post) really dampen this kind of shock for rigid-fork heavier e-bikes.

P.S. Bear in mind it is the tyre inflation pressure that is responsible for dampening fast vibration. My Vado on 47 mm Smart Sams hates forest rides at 60 psi but loves them at 50.

Last edited:
Last edited:
OK but Vado or Como cannot be made tubeless without replacing complete wheel-set.

And yes, Maxxis tyres are expensive. It is the matter of the brand reputatio
OK but Vado or Como cannot be made tubeless without replacing complete wheel-set.

And yes, Maxxis tyres are expensive. It is the matter of the brand reputation.
@Stefan could you please explain in your usual clear and detail way the benefits of tubeless. Pros and cons.

@Stefan could you please explain in your usual clear and detail way the benefits of tubeless. Pros and cons.
Pros:
  • Possible to ride on extremely low inflated tyres (you can deflate tyres, ride a difficult off road segment comfortably and with great traction, reinflate afterwards. Mini MTB pumps are handy). No danger of catching the snake-bite because there is no inner tube.
  • Punctured wheel can in many cases be self repaired by sealant present in the tyre.
  • Field repair of punctured tyre can be done without removing the wheel. (Appropriate toolkit needs to be carried).
  • Lighter weight of the wheel.
Cons:
  • Requires tubeless ready (TLE) rim.
  • Requires TLE tyres.
  • Requires conversion to TL by installing a separate valve and sealing rim with a special tape.
  • Extremely messy in case of swapping tyres to, say, winter spiked ones, and then swapping again in the Spring.
  • Sealant needs to be regularly replenished.
  • Wheels need to be often reinflated.
  • Sealant can freeze during the wintertime.
  • Replacing a TL tyre requires access to Presta compatible compressor, or a portable high pressure reinflator cartridge needs to be owned (you have to "hit" the inside of the wheel with high pressure air to set the tyre inside the rim). Usually, the sealing tape needs to be replaced, too, and valve replacement might be necessary as well.
Tubeless are important for competing cyclist. True, tubeless saved my ride once in the wilderness, and the puncture did self repair. The downsides of tubeless were so irritating I returned to inner tube on my e-MTB.

Pros:
  • Possible to ride on extremely low inflated tyres (you can deflate tyres, ride a difficult off road segment comfortably and with great traction, reinflate afterwards. Mini MTB pumps are handy). No danger of catching the snake-bite because there is no inner tube.
  • Punctured wheel can in many cases be self repaired by sealant present in the tyre.
  • Field repair of punctured tyre can be done without removing the wheel. (Appropriate toolkit needs to be carried).
  • Lighter weight of the wheel.
Cons:
  • Requires tubeless ready (TLE) rim.
  • Requires TLE tyres.
  • Requires conversion to TL by installing a separate valve and sealing rim with a special tape.
  • Extremely messy in case of swapping tyres to, say, winter spiked ones, and then swapping again in the Spring.
  • Sealant needs to be regularly replenished.
  • Wheels need to be often reinflated.
  • Sealant can freeze during the wintertime.
  • Replacing a TL tyre requires access to Presta compatible compressor, or a portable high pressure reinflator cartridge needs to be owned (you have to "hit" the inside of the wheel with high pressure air to set the tyre inside the rim). Usually, the sealing tape needs to be replaced, too, and valve replacement might be necessary as well.
Tubeless are important for competing cyclist. True, tubeless saved my ride once in the wilderness, and the puncture did self repair. The downsides of tubeless were so irritating I returned to inner tube on my e-MTB.
Thank you. As always clear and concise. 🙏👍👌

I did swap out the Como’s OE 650b tires with Maxxis DHF and Minion 27.5 x 2.3 inch tires.
Any issues with these tires and the fenders? I'm in the process of identifying what upgrades I want to make to my como and Tires are one of the top priorities, for many of the reasons your wife stated.

Also exploring the Thudbuster or Kinekt seatposts.. potentially a new stem as well.

I do all the time. Nothing serious but love riding trails through the woods on groomed and gravel trails. Strongly suggest replacing the slick tires with something a bit more aggressive how ever. factory tires are too slick

I do all the time. Nothing serious but love riding trails through the woods on groomed and gravel trails. Strongly suggest replacing the slick tires with something a bit more aggressive how ever. factory tires are too slick
That is why I changed to Shwalbe Marathon E+ In my Vado 5.
Not as soft and comfortable as the stock tires but worry free when I go off road.
As @Stefan Mikes had indicated they are not great on sand but they handle everything else well.

Back