Anyone take their Turbo Como Off-road?

M4R4

Region
USA
My wife and I got 2x 4.0 Comos coming up this weekend and we were hoping we could do some light trails with the bike eventually. I know a lot of you will probably say the Vado is better suited for it but the Como comfort can't be beat and I'm hoping the fat tires can help do some trails. Any Como owners have experience taking their Como off the beaten path?

I have a Vado Sl but I'd say the same advice applies to all three bikes - just be sensible. Gravel trails, dirt trails should be fine, no reason not too and they'll be fun! But if it gets too rocky or has drop offs & jumps then you might come a cropper and probably damage both bike and yourself! So be careful. But without suspension anyway you'll feel it when it gets really rough & it won't be fun. Tyres with more volume (so Como scores there) & lower pressure and ones with good grip/knobblies will help. The motor should be fine unless its very muddy or rough AND steep, where the weight of bike will work against you I'd say. My twopence worth!

I've taken mine off road. Only thing is the fenders. Clearance between tire and fender is not much, and the lower rubber piece can get caught on objects. Everything else works good.

Appreciate all the insight, it sounds like my expectations were correct. There's a ton of trails in the deserts in California that aren't very technical and my wife and I were hoping we could ride there. I'm thinking I could lower the psi to increase traction a bit.

We are so excited for our bikes!

Appreciate all the insight, it sounds like my expectations were correct. There's a ton of trails in the deserts in California that aren't very technical and my wife and I were hoping we could ride there. I'm thinking I could lower the psi to increase traction a bit.

We are so excited for our bikes!
@M4R4. In addition to reducing tire pressure somewhat, a suspension seat post would make riding rough pavement or a moderate off-road trail a lot more comfortable. The Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat post seems to be consistently rated at or near the top by most owners. My wife and I have the Kinekt 2.1 aluminum suspension seat post on all of the four ebikes we own. That will really improve your riding comfort and take away a lot of the harshness of riding a stiff hard tail aluminum frame ebike. They are expensive, but you can get a 20% discount if you order through through Selle Anatomica by entering their discount code at checkout.

If you decide to get one, I found it best to order with stiffer / heavier springs, that way you can adjust the preload without reducing/losing much travel. If you are near the top of a weight range, order with the next heavier weight range springs.

The Selle Anatomica adjustable leather saddles are really nice and super comfortable too. I have the H2 on my Vado 4.0 and really like it.

Last edited:
My experience with Vado (which is not that different from Como) is you need proper tyres. I have found Schwalbe Smart Sam to be a good compromise between quiet/easy rolling ride on paved surfaces and good traction in easy offroad: gravel, dry dirt, sand-on-hard.

The advice to equip your Como with Kinekt 2.1 is really good.

Do not expect miracles but these two upgrades (tyres and suspension seat-post) will make your Como off-road capable. (Bear in mind gravel cyclist handle more difficult terrain on narrow tyres and no suspension whatsoever: They are a weird bunch) :)

1617890474629.png

My Vado on Smart Sams and with Kinekt 2.1 on a sandy road.

1617890596425.png

Vado on forest paths full of tree-roots and sand. Lack of front suspension makes my arms hurt.

Last edited:
@M4R4. In addition to reducing tire pressure somewhat, a suspension seat post would make riding rough pavement or a moderate off-road trail a lot more comfortable. The Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat post seems to be consistently rated at or near the top by most owners. My wife and I have the Kinekt 2.1 aluminum suspension seat post on all of the four ebikes we own. That will really improve your riding comfort and take away a lot of the harshness of riding a stiff hard tail aluminum frame ebike. They are expensive, but you can get a 20% discount if you order through through Selle Anatomica by entering their discount code at checkout.

If you decide to get one, I found it best to order with stiffer / heavier springs, that way you can adjust the preload without reducing/losing much travel. If you are near the top of a weight range, order with the next heavier weight range springs.

The Selle Anatomica adjustable leather saddles are really nice and super comfortable too. I have the H2 on my Vado 4.0 and really like it.
So based on my weight I'm in the medium range, do I order that or just go with the heaviest? Also my wife would be in the lightest of the weights. Also not sure what to put for seat diameter and seat post length. Will wait to get the bike and measure. Also want to put some miles on it without upgrades so that way the upgrades feel like upgrades :D

My experience with Vado (which is not that different from Como) is you need proper tyres. I have found Schwalbe Smart Sam to be a good compromise between quiet/easy rolling ride on paved surfaces and good traction in easy offroad: gravel, dry dirt, sand-on-hard.

The advice to equip your Como with Kinekt 2.1 is really good.

Do not expect miracles but these two upgrades (tyres and suspension seat-post) will make your Como off-road capable. (Bear in mind gravel cyclist handle more difficult terrain on narrow tyres and no suspension whatsoever: They are a weird bunch) :)

View attachment 84216
My Vado on Smart Sams and with Kinekt 2.1 on a sandy road.

View attachment 84217
Vado on forest paths full of tree-roots and sand. Lack of front suspension makes my arms hurt.

The photos you sent are exactly the type of trails we want to do. It looks perfect! I'm so excited 😆

If riding a bike off-road is anything like a dirt bike you can try staying looser on the handlebars to help with the arm/hand fatigue.

If riding a bike off-road is anything like a dirt bike you can try staying looser on the handlebars to help with the arm/hand fatigue.
Technically speaking, my Vado is equipped with Baramind BAM Trek suspension handlebars (your Como would be happy with Baramind BAM City), and I also use Ergon GP3 bar-ends (Como requires different Ergon grips, not sure what model). All helps. (Your Como has tyres of bigger volume which also will help you).

So based on my weight I'm in the medium range, do I order that or just go with the heaviest? Also my wife would be in the lightest of the weights. Also not sure what to put for seat diameter and seat post length. Will wait to get the bike and measure. Also want to put some miles on it without upgrades so that way the upgrades feel like upgrades :D
Kinekt 2.1 comes with three springs. You select one appropriate for the rider's weight. Also, pre-tensioning the spring is another parameter for the seat-post tuning.

Just for reference, I have found on the Vado with front spring suspension, and the Brooks B67 seat with integral springs under the seat, that both the front fork and seat have similar spring rates when riding over potholes, cracks, etc.

I've taken mine off road. Only thing is the fenders. Clearance between tire and fender is not much, and the lower rubber piece can get caught on objects. Everything else works good.
Agree with Marcela. Had my Vado 5 off-road few times. Objects get stock between fender and tire. Specially when wet. Mud got stock and had hard time to get out all mud accumulation. Other than that it worked like champ.

I weigh just above 200 lbs and went with the "Large 200 - 240 range" for my 2020 Vado 4.0. My wife weighs a bit above the middle of the Small range and I originally got her the "Small 100 -150 range" on her 2020 Vado 5.0, but then had to order "Medium 150 - 200 range" replacement springs directly from Kinekt (not expensive), as I had to adjust too much on the preload of the Small springs reducing the travel too much. As @StefanMikes mentioned, the seat post does come with some spare springs (different weight) so you may not have to order replacements, just swap out from the spares provided. If you have questions you can contact Kinekt directly, they are helpful. But you will save 20% on the Kinekt 2.1 if you order it from Selle Anatomica. Court reviewed the Turbo Como, so all the spec's you need should be included in his written review here on EBR.

Last edited:
My Como does fine on easy trails like rails to trails. Any packed gravel or flat dirt and grass is fine, but w/o suspension It's not a downhill bike at all.

My wife and I got 2x 4.0 Comos coming up this weekend and we were hoping we could do some light trails with the bike eventually. I know a lot of you will probably say the Vado is better suited for it but the Como comfort can't be beat and I'm hoping the fat tires can help do some trails. Any Como owners have experience taking their Como off the beaten path?
My wife and I have the Como and Vado. We have ridden off road trails, mostly hard pack, gravel, some roots, sand, “stutter” bumps, ruts, and dust. No dramatic drop offs or big air for us. So far the rides have not affected the performance of the bikes. After, I wipe off the bike frame and clean the drive train, check the bolts for tightness. I did swap out the Como’s OE 650b tires with Maxxis DHF and Minion 27.5 x 2.3 inch tires. My wife said it is night and day in terms of riding off road. She has much improved control, handling and shock resistence when riding off road. She’s not worried about the increased rolling resistence. I am going to install a Baramind flex bar once it arrives. Stefan Mikes seems to feel fine about having one on his Vado. The only thing I worry about is dust and whether or not the motor contacts will be affected. The 1.2 Brose seems well sealed so unless I stupidly ride in muddy water, I think we are ok. The Vado stock did not require any changes since the oe tires are fine for light off road. Btw, on our last off road ride a younger rider on his very high priced carbon fiber non-electric dual suspension MTB shouted “on your left” as he attempted to pass us on a short 10% grade. My wife who was ahead of both of us did not hear him so she just kept on riding, staying to her right. I thought the sheer power and fitness of the young rider would power him past us. I glanced to my left and realized he was spinning furiously but was not gaining and in fact fell behind us. I could hear him yelling “Woo Hoo!” He was urging us on, apparently surprised that these two older folks on ebikes could “smoke” him on the steep grade. At the top and now on flatter terrain he sped past us and waved approvingly. My wife looked up and asked me, “Did you hear something? sounded like someone was yelling.”I laughed. Needless to say, we had a great ride.

Last edited:
The 1.2 Brose seems well sealed so unless I stupidly ride in muddy water, I think we are ok.
Extremely well sealed. I was riding into puddles that covered the motor! Only don't wash the bike under pressure :)
It is interesting with your fitting thick downhill tyres; I didn't know that was possible. Effectively you made an off-road e-bike from Como!

Extremely well sealed. I was riding into puddles that covered the motor! Only don't wash the bike under pressure :)
It is interesting with your fitting thick downhill tyres; I didn't know that was possible. Effectively you made an off-road e-bike from Como!
Hi Stefan. My wife was slipping and falling on loose pack and gravel so I went with the arguably stickiest knobbies I could find. Doesn't seem to hurt the Como too much on pavement in terms of speed, my wife said the increase in her handling confidence on slippery gravel, roots and other surfaces which use to make her nervous is worth the swap. It's been awhile since I have upgraded MTB tires on my analog bikes, so I was surprised at the relative high price of the Maxxis. I remember when I could buy top rated Kevlar tires for $20 dollars. Oh well. Btw, I hope the Baramind Bam Trek I ordered works well. It seems like it is a safe and reliable bar.

Back