Anyone route a dropper seat post with an internal cable?

hebs

Curious - has anyone added a dropper seat post with internal cable routing and make it work with a Stromer?

I have an ST1x, and was hoping to get a PNW dropper suspension seat post with internal routed cables to keep the clean look. It looks like there might be room behind the battery where the other cables are run, but I can't tell, so before purchasing, wanted to see if anyone had already done this. Thanks!!!

Do people even put dropper seat posts on commuter bikes?
Yes, they do. It makes it more comfortable to wait for the signal change on junctions and also getting off the bike is easier. Many of e-bike riders are senior people with mobility issues.

1586419863590.png

The PNW Coast Suspension Dropper Seatpost on Specialized Turbo Vado.

We want one because my wife and I will both ride this bike and we need different seat heights. Much quicker to adjust this way!
I completely forget about that aspect!
Bear in mind the internal routing might require dismantling the bike into the pieces while the external one is as simple as A-B-C.

I completely forget about that aspect!
Bear in mind the internal routing might require dismantling the bike into the pieces while the external one is as simple as A-B-C.

Agreed, but the Stromer is already so clean I would love to keep it that way. Additionally, external routing just adds cable ties or other harnesses that can potentially snag pants, etc.

I had to swap a motor control cable when my original one failed a week after receiving my ST2. I've also replaced my original Omni with an Omni-C, so I have had a pretty good look at the inside of the frame in those areas. From what I've seen, the removal/ reassembly of the internal plastic battery sleeve is the most tedious. There are screws of different lengths that need to be removed in order to slide the battery sleeve out. If you do remove it, make sure to note which screws go where. I used an ice cube tray to place the screws in to remember which went where. There is not a lot of room under the sleeve to route more cables. I don't know how much room there is or how large a diameter cable housing would fit in, but I bet you could do it. I think you would have to just take it out and look. The other issue would be creating an opening in the frame near the handlebars for the remote. I assume the ST1X has the same pass-throughs in the same places as the ST2. It would probably entail enlarging a brake cable/ shifter cable pass-through. I would be concerned about compromising the integrity of the frame, although it seems if you removed the other cables first you could enlarge an opening with a Dremel tool. Pulling all those cables and re-routing them is going to be a *lot* of work. If you do it, please take progress pics and post your process. If I hadn't found a video of the motor control cable replacement process I would have had a much, much more difficult time of it. Good luck!

Oh. That's very expensive. Some cheaper alternative exists, can't remember the name.

Back