Anyone have experience de-restricting class 1 bike?

rannyv

I recently purchased a second e-bike which is a class 1 with, I believe, the Bosch Performance Line motor with a Purion display. I like the bike, but since my other bike is a class 3, the 20 MPH restriction is annoying and a problem if I want to ride my bikes with another person. Has anyone tried any of the speed de-restriction devices such as the ones shown here?

I don't mind pulling a crank to install and could probably live with an inaccurate speed readout, but I don't want the light switch to cease functioning (unless the lights are always on). And yes, I know it will invalidate the warranty.

Has anyone swapped out their Bosch class 1 for a class 3 motor? Seems like it would be easy, though not cheap, swap. I've quickly 'googled' Bosch class 3 motors, but have not seen any motors for sale.

My bike does not have a Bosch motor, but I did add a dongle to my Yamaha motor. The one I ordered from PearTune MSO has the choice of using either the light button or walk mode button for activation. I chose the walk button since it is deactivated on USA Haibikes. The speed and odometer readouts are accurate, although I do notice the odometer readout is inaccurate after riding awhile above 20 mph but recalibrates after stopping (this is pointed out in the instructions). I am very satisfied with it.

I recently purchased a second e-bike which is a class 1 with, I believe, the Bosch Performance Line motor with a Purion display. I like the bike, but since my other bike is a class 3, the 20 MPH restriction is annoying and a problem if I want to ride my bikes with another person. Has anyone tried any of the speed de-restriction devices such as the ones shown here?

I don't mind pulling a crank to install and could probably live with an inaccurate speed readout, but I don't want the light switch to cease functioning (unless the lights are always on). And yes, I know it will invalidate the warranty.

Has anyone swapped out their Bosch class 1 for a class 3 motor? Seems like it would be easy, though not cheap, swap. I've quickly 'googled' Bosch class 3 motors, but have not seen any motors for sale.
Did you not ride the new bike before purchase?

I would love to have a 20mph restriction bike:p
In EU the restriction is 25km/h (15.tmph) unless you get a 45km/h e-bike but then you have to r3gister th3 bike and have insurance and you can’t ride on bicycle lanes.:(

Another vote for the PearTune MSO. My bike is technically a 20mph with a Bosch CX drive - not anymore. I actually bought it because I knew I'd chip it so didn't care what the actual restriction was.
Very easy and straightforward install and it comes with good instructions. Activate by "walk" button and works like a charm. It actually displays the correct speed, which is not the case for some other dongles/chips.

Last edited:
Yet another Bikespeed RS owner - I thought 20 was moving along after I initially got my Haibike, but after a few months it started to grate on me that I'd routinely hit that 20mph limit quickly. Speed is addictive !! So I bought the Bikespeed and never looked back .. literally !! Nobody is going to pass me when I give my legs a workout. I can hit a shade over 28 on the rail trail I ride. Its so easy to install and it turns off with just four button presses if you want to go back to a class 1 bike for any reason.

Hijacking the thread and asking -
Anyone with experience from de-restricting a Specialized Vado or Como?

Last edited:
Hijacking the thread and asking -
Anyone with experience from de-restricting a Specialized Vado or Como?
I know someone who actually did manage to derestrict a Vado. It took a huge effort, basically, maybe a month worth of late evenings to reverse engineer the Brose motor and Specialized blocks system. The modification was not simple. The motor had to be opened up and a couple of jumper wires were soldered directly onto the motor circuit board. There were a number of trial and error iterations. He probably went through like four revisions of his software hack before it was stable. As far as I know the program was designed to be a top speed unlocker like the BikespeedRS.

I know someone who actually did manage to derestrict a Vado. It took a huge effort, basically, maybe a month worth of late evenings to reverse engineer the Brose motor and Specialized blocks system. The modification was not simple. The motor had to be opened up and a couple of jumper wires were soldered directly onto the motor circuit board. There were a number of trial and error iterations. He probably went through like four revisions of his software hack before it was stable. As far as I know the program was designed to be a top speed unlocker like the BikespeedRS.
Thank you for answering.
That hardware and software work is nothing for me. Maybe a Specialized dealer could download the software for US bikes and raise my top speed from 15.5 to 20mph. Or turn it into a 28mph bike.
Probably illegal and I don’t want drag a nice bike mechanic into the world of crime:confused:

Works like a champ. Keeps on pushing beyond 28mph. All speed data still accurate. Just as advertised
Does the Bikespeed RS work properly in both MPH and KPH? I heard a while back that it only worked in KPH. I hope this isn't true. I have a Homage Rohloff (20) on order and if 20mph isn't fast enough, I might want to install a Bikespeed RS.

I have used the bikespeed RS on my 2018 Nevo Nuvinci GH with Bosch CX in the USA and it works with unlimited speed or at least as fast as I can spin. Wioth the bike speed installed the Nuvinci could not keep up using the front sprocket it came with. It registers in miles per hour. I removed it as my wife rides the Nevo and does not like going fast anyway. I now have it installed on my Cube Touring Hybrid Ex 500 with Bosch CX and it works without a hitch. I mostly ride a 2018 Homage Rohloff High Speed (28mph) so no need to derestrict it. I am not sure if Riese and Muller uses the saame front sprocket for the CS and the HS. You might want to to look into that. If you can't keep up the cadence in 14th gear with the Rohloff and find it spins too fast a front sprocket with more teeth is the solution. I had to put a front sprocket on the Cube with two more teeth.

On a Bosch diagnostic report there's a section called "Lifetime information" and it has the following entries:
Tampering - No (on mine)
Number of tampering incidents detected - 0 (on mine)

Just FYI :)

I have heard this is a new requirement of either the German government or the EU for all ebikes sold overs there. It is my understanding that this was part of the most recent bosch system update everywhere.

I have heard this is a new requirement of either the German government or the EU for all ebikes sold overs there. It is my understanding that this was part of the most recent bosch system update everywhere.
I'm sure insurance companies everywhere in the world would also be interested in that info.

Back