Anyone familiar with Wallerang and Riese & Muller?

Berry78

These companies have a similar looking (but wildly different) bike.

The Charger GX from R&M:

images.jpg

The M.01 from Wallerang:

2016-10-04-09-55-27-663148867.jpg

Has anyone ridden either (or both) of these bikes?

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the looks of these (R&M a smidge more ;) ).

The Charger GX from R&M:

View attachment 10949

The M.01 from Wallerang:

View attachment 10952

Have ridden the other R&M bikes. Most Bosch bikes ride the same.
Wallerang uses the shimano steps and is no different from the other trek you rode.

Another bike with similar features but with Brose system and 600 whrs battery is this one.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Have ridden the other R&M bikes. Most Bosch bikes ride the same.
Wallerang uses the shimano steps and is no different from the other trek you rode.

Another bike with similar features but with Brose system and 600 whrs battery is this one.

Thanks! Hopefully I can test a Brose as well.

Yeah, I know the drive systems will be similar, guess it is the frame feeling I was hoping to hear about.

The R&M Charger GX is fairly expensive in the configuration you show. That's the Rohlhoff IGH variant if I'm not mistaken.

Next year's model comes with the dual battery:

I just grabbed the first picture that popped up, although Rohloff does sound like de bomb. Guess I'm putting blinders on as to prices when in the research phase ;). Prolly end up with a $500 Amazon special. *sigh*

Thanks! Hopefully I can test a Brose as well.

Yeah, I know the drive systems will be similar, guess it is the frame feeling I was hoping to hear about.

Frames may feel different but it is completely upto the dealer to fit it to YOU.
You could change stems, handlebars, seatposts and saddle to fit the rider.

Just wanted to clarify...I do my best thinking while the coffers are empty. Depending on how long I am willing to wait, even the Rohloff isn't out of the question. If I get impatient, then Juiced or Radrover do look like good options. (I was just kidding about Amazon...won't be THAT impatient!).

Actually, talking about IGHs, it seems like there could be some conflict between the motor and the hub. Anyone want to expound upon this?

The Charger GX from R&M:
The M.01 from Wallerang:

I'm hoping to ride the Riese and Muller in the near future (its coming to Propel in NY in late October as posted here by Chris). Yes, it seems Europe has a bevy of cool bikes that we don't have here. I guess just a reflection of demand. When I first started shopping I was attracted to A2B until I realized I was viewing their Europe site and most of those bikes weren't available in the US. And check out these Stevens beauties (also probably not available here):

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2017/index.php?bik_id=153&cou=US&lang=en_US

I too like the Riese and Muller moreso than the Wallerang. It may be what I end up with (although not in the dual battery setup).

Your rear hub motor is most likely going to come with a cassette and a derailleur. An IGH is usually paired with a mid-drive.

Lol, well, mayhap I should have expounded upon my question.. (as all these bikes do have a mid-drive).

I meant conflict under load. As in, if the motor is engaged, there will be load on the chain. The IGH would be shifting under load, likely resulting in damage.

I assume this boils down to rider technique more than anything though. Just think it is probably funny how you want to be pedaling with a standard cassette, but not pedaling (hard) with IGH.

I'm hoping to ride the Riese and Muller in the near future (its coming to Propel in NY in late October as posted here by Chris). Yes, it seems Europe has a bevy of cool bikes that we don't have here. I guess just a reflection of demand. When I first started shopping I was attracted to A2B until I realized I was viewing their Europe site and most of those bikes weren't available in the US. And check out these Stevens beauties (also probably not available here):

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2017/index.php?bik_id=153&cou=US&lang=en_US

I too like the Riese and Muller moreso than the Wallerang. It may be what I end up with (although not in the dual battery setup).

Wowzer! That is one sharp looking bike! You definitely know how to pick em. Only thing missing is front suspension.

I'm generally partial to Bosch and I'm particularly partial to Riese & Müller. They make amazing bikes that don't only look nice, but they ride amazing as well. The Charger is one of their most popular models. It's a do anything, go anywhere sort of bike with sporty geometry and wide tires to roll over anything.

Regarding the IGH and the mid-drives it's not a big issue, but there is a slight learning curve in riding them.

I actually own the Wallerang. I've only had it for a week, but @JayVee Made a great point in my post about the Wallerang: "What's really great about this system is that the power delivery is extremely predictable. If you drop a gear and pedal at a slightly higher cadence, the power immediately kicks in. On some of these mid-drives, it's difficult to know what to do in order to get the most out them."

I just rode the Wallerang at the DC Expo. Nice bike and was very responsive. The guys staffing the booth were nice as heck and just full of useful information about the bikes and the company.

Wallerang X now has RockShox Recon Silver TK, Solo Air 80mm travel fork. Excellent shock, add suspension seat eg suntour ncx, thud bust and you have bike capable of doing light MTB trails while being comfortable for commuting and trekking. Di2 shifting is definitely a plus especially for stop start commuting.

I got to ride the Wallerang too! Felt great! Loved the IGH/belt combo. The frame felt bulletproof, super solid. Great brakes. Whole package. Only thing I would change is a bit less aggressive handlebars.

I'm generally partial to Bosch and I'm particularly partial to Riese & Müller. They make amazing bikes that don't only look nice, but they ride amazing as well. The Charger is one of their most popular models. It's a do anything, go anywhere sort of bike with sporty geometry and wide tires to roll over anything.

Regarding the IGH and the mid-drives it's not a big issue, but there is a slight learning curve in riding them.

I'm in the process of ordering the R&M Charger GX Touring. I had a chance to test the Charger GT Touring with both Nuvinci drive (which I do not like) and with 11 gear cassette (which I prefer). Unfortunately there are no Wallarangs in my area. Shame, looks like a great bike. I'm buying the 25kmh version of the Charger GX because 1) they're pretty strict here in Germany regarding high speed e-bikes and where you can ride them and 2) I'm very impressed with the capability and utility of the Charger as I plan on using it as a work horse between Köln and Düsseldorf where I ride both on and off-road. Of course the Charger has a heavy price tag. The only other bike I considered was a 1) Stromer ST1 (2017) and 2) Haibike Sduro or Xduro Trekking. I decided against the Haibike because the R&M blew it away on quality. I didn't choose the Stromer because, well, it's just too pretty and I'd feel bad working the heck out it. Also, I couldn't test ride a Stromer St1 in the 25khm version. After testing the ST2, which is out of my budget, the R&M Bosch motor felt better.

e-drive safe.

-t

Back