Anyone else have issues with the new 500w battery

eoghan

Mine startend leaking a blue fluid and which caused it to meld with the connector to the bike. Bosch still hasn't replaced or fixed it, even though its been at the shop for two months. Wont even except shipping it back to them. Very disappointed in the lack of response and the actual coverage of the warranty, they just keep delaying and asking for more info but don't actually do anything to help.

Eoghan

Must be more story between the regional guy and factory. Is "the shop" the dealer you bought it from? Where do you live? I'd put more of the issue on the dealer than the factory, but could be a lot more to the story. A good dealer and rep would have you on another bike if still in warranty. I've had a 500w for 14 months, no issues. Did the battery get submerged? Were you ever in a crash? Hard mountain riding?

Mine startend leaking a blue fluid and which caused it to meld with the connector to the bike. Bosch still hasn't replaced or fixed it, even though its been at the shop for two months. Wont even except shipping it back to them. Very disappointed in the lack of response and the actual coverage of the warranty, they just keep delaying and asking for more info but don't actually do anything to help.

Eoghan
Leaking hydraulic fluid? I don't think any of the batteries they use have blue fluids.

Must be more story between the regional guy and factory. Is "the shop" the dealer you bought it from? Where do you live? I'd put more of the issue on the dealer than the factory, but could be a lot more to the story. A good dealer and rep would have you on another bike if still in warranty. I've had a 500w for 14 months, no issues. Did the battery get submerged? Were you ever in a crash? Hard mountain riding?

The shop is a Bosch dealer and they are just as frustrated as I am, they feel they are green given the run around from Bosch. No the battery did not get submerged or treated in anyway outside of normal usage, no badges or scrapes either. The battery was purchased on November 27th so less that 6 months old, and now its useless. You really assume a lot here about the dealer that you have no knowledge or insight into. I am using my old 400w batterry so no need for them to swap out my bike or battery but I would like my 500w battery replaced or repaired under the Bosch warantie and so far Bosch are just draging their heals in addressing the issue.

Leaking hydraulic fluid? I don't think any of the batteries they use have blue fluids.
I doubt its hydraulic fluid, and I would not think that would cause plastic to meld. I've no idea if they use fluid in the internal packaging. if I were to guess its fluid from a leaking battery which I understand can cause plastic to melt and shouldn't be touched but thats a guess on my part. I would have thought Bocsh would have imedeatly had the battery shipped back to them so they could inspect it and make there own determination. I also assumed that if the battery failed within the warranty period and the battery had just been used for the purpose it was designed for they would have it shipped back to them and they would either repair it or replace it.

The shop is a Bosch dealer and they are just as frustrated as I am, they feel they are green given the run around from Bosch. No the battery did not get submerged or treated in anyway outside of normal usage, no badges or scrapes either. The battery was purchased on November 27th so less that 6 months old, and now its useless. You really assume a lot here about the dealer that you have no knowledge or insight into. I am using my old 400w batterry so no need for them to swap out my bike or battery but I would like my 500w battery replaced or repaired under the Bosch warantie and so far Bosch are just draging their heals in addressing the issue.
Thanks for the heads up on the new 500 watt battery issue. Everything being sold with Bosch seems to have the 500 watt on all of the bikes I have been demoing in the past few months. Very surprising to hear Bosch is dragging their feet on this one. I was under the assumption that they backed up all of their products with good warranty service. Good to know you have the 400 watt as a backup. Who made the bike you are riding? Can you contact the bike mfg and see if they can assist? Just a thought...

Last edited:
Mine startend leaking a blue fluid...
Yikes! Not something I wanted to read. I have two PP 500 with the oldest being 11/2016 purchase. No issues so far. I'm not surprised they wouldn't want it shipped back (rather recycled or properly disposed of by the shop) but I would think they would send out a replacement straight away if the shop validates the issue and warranty period (ie charge cycles) etc. Your experience isn't what I would expect from Bosch.

I had to assume a lot really, if there was to be any discussion past, "No, I have not had any issues." I've dealt with a wonderful dealer, Crazy Lennys. I guess they aren't all like that. I guess you live in Europe since you use a slang term I've not heard, "no badges". Maybe we get better treatment in the States?

If Bosch uses the 18650 cells, I don't see any fluid in it at all. Here's a link talking about the cells, and a video of a guy opening one completely up. No fluids. http://www.electricbike.com/inside-18650-cell/
Exactly! Brake fluid used in autos does affect lots of other products. Paint will peel off as if it were a paint remover. Melting connectors is a stretch given that most bike fluids are mineral oils, form my understanding. But regardless, stories of poor service in my experience relate more to the dealer than the manufacturer. I'd be on with Bosch direct. But then after my Bosch appliance experiences, $5000 down the toilet, I struggle with allowing myself to buy anything Bosch. It would depend on the dealer reputation to get me onboard.

So Bosch just told the dealer that it must have been caused by water damage, which is total BS, its never been submerged in water, I don't even store it outside, don't like riding in the rain and I live in California where we get far to little rain. I was under the impression that Bosch was a good company with strong customer service, clearly I was mistaken. Thankfully my dealer is fighting my case with them and escalating to a manager but this makes me reevaluate Bosch which is a shame as I really like my bikes, I have two Bosch based bikes and I assumed my next one was going to be a Bosch too.

So Bosch just told the dealer that it must have been caused by water damage, which is total BS, its never been submerged in water, I don't even store it outside, don't like riding in the rain and I live in California where we get far to little rain. I was under the impression that Bosch was a good company with strong customer service, clearly I was mistaken. Thankfully my dealer is fighting my case with them and escalating to a manager but this makes me reevaluate Bosch which is a shame as I really like my bikes, I have two Bosch based bikes and I assumed my next one was going to be a Bosch too.

Bosch is a good company with strong support but the support aspect is handled by Magura!
May be the contact guy there is a noob. Just like any business, there are cases where customers abuse the generous warranty and cases where some companies muscle their way to eek out more money out of customers. I don't think Bosch is that kind. They sponsor eMTB races, E-bike expo's etc.

I am not sure what leverage your dealer has in terms of negotiation with Magura. If he is well respected and moves a lot of bikes, Magura really doesn't want to strain that chemistry.

I had a friend who's battery was acting up after a year (3700 miles on the bike) and it was replaced soon after the diagnostic tests were done. If they are dragging their feet for 2 months, there is clearly something wrong here.

I just heard back from the bike store, good news, Bosch are now going to replace it. It seams like the support folks were just jumping to all sorts of conclusions and assumed I did something to it. The bike store owner knows me and my bike so he plead my case with a Bosch manager to get this fixed.

Since there is no fluid in the battery, I think you got lucky with Bosch replacing it.
There is obviously more to this story than we're getting here.

Back