Any RadRover contributors out there ?

@SoCalAaron fear not our team is working through some emails now before 4th of July festivities kick in and you should get an email shortly if not already. We will get your tech support case entered into our system and get you taken care of early next week.

@samdavis sending an email to you now as well, deepest apologies, we will get this sorted.

On the shipping damage: We are working with our manufacturer and Seattle area based fulfillment center to get the shipping/packaging process improved. More details to come. I have bikes come over the years packed

Regarding the battery packs: We have had 2 customer reports of batteries which appear "dead" until the fuse is removed and then reinserted thus far. We took up a case with our manufacturer and are investigating the 10+ packs we have in stock to see if we can replicate and find the cause. Will report back with findings.

"@pxpaulx there is a number on the front of the frame where the forks enter it. I don't know if that's a serial number or model number"
Confirming that this is the serial number. It is on the lower head tube.

Thanks for the continued support, we will make sure our early adopters are well cared for and apologize for any shipping or product related issues in this first delivery. Send your tech support/service inquires to [email protected] for the time being and we will get everything sorted as quickly as possible so everyone can get their ebike grin on.

Those of you that have received damage to the box, How far are you from Seattle? I'm worried as I'm on the east coast!

That is customer focus for you!

Phrodos,
I agree great customer service on the part of RR.. In your case your bike in a box is going to have traveled almost 2 thirds of the way around the world... hopefully it will be better packed... Our bikes, we have 2 only going 870 miles will probably suffer the same amount of ill handling by our UPS trucking co. Better packaging is the key... Good luck..

@scmike Here's hoping! I still maintain my general optimistic mindset. My bike hasn't been sent yet, so I'm putting my faith in it getting a better packaging and handling. As you say: Two thirds around the world...

Great to hear from the RR team on the 4th of July! They could have waited a day and no one would have pointed a finger. Thanks Mark! I'm feeling confident our bikes are going to be the bees knees.

After further troubleshooting my issue, While unraveling the spiral wrap to get more slack for the headlight, I found a severed wire. Once I reconnected it, the display powered up and the rear wheel spun up on demand.

I got the battery to take a charge after reseating the fuse but every time I power cycled the battery, it went into a dormant stage unless I once again reseated the fuse.

The Rad Power Bike team has asked for pics of the box so they can resolve the shipping issues they're having.

I want to emphasize exactly how nice the bike actually looks. Despite these minor issues that any new product might have, this manufacturer has a solid customer support system and an outstanding concept in the RadRover. They've been working with me through my issues and are quick with their answers to any question I have.

Aaron,
Did you reconnect the motor c/o wire to the fb lever, I'm guessing yes since the motor probably wouldn't turn on w/o it? Also, just wondering does the bike fit/ride comfortable for you, 'cause you look like a big guy if that's your pic?? I'm 6' 3 1/2.... hoping it's not to small...
Thanks
M

Mike,

The manufacturer quickly responded and let me know that I shouldn't attempt to repair the cutoff switch so they're sending a complete replacement left lever and I'll just have to thread it on.

The bike did turn on without it but the left hand brake wouldn't cut off the motor if pulled, basically meaning this safety feature isn't available.

I'm 6' and 195 lbs and I can't begin to describe how comfortable this bike is. I had the same concerns but it's a large frame and fits me well. With the large tires you sit much higher than most bikes but the ride is extremely smooth because of it. I thought it would lag a bit on takeoff due to my weight, but with both pedal assist and the throttle, there was zero lag and a noticeable burst of energy. You should be fine!!

Glad to see Radpower is taking care of everyone with any bike damage.

While not as big as you guys, I'm 6'1" and the bike fits me very well. The motor is very torquey on take off, even on PA1, you really feel it kick in once you start peddling.

I did a longer ride yesterday to test my commute, it's about 14 miles total with a lot of long hills. Using PA the majority of the way, the battery meter was about 60% full after returning home. Given the amount of hills, this seemed reasonable to me. The derailer could probably use some adjusting, but other than that.. the bike performed flawlessly.

Especially with the hills, the benefits of the 7speed gearing and the more powerful motor were noticeable. I can't imagine doing the same commute without the gearing or a smaller motor.

I would be much happier if the bikes were checked before they were despatched to the customers instead of relying on the customers to report any faults and repair them themselves. As someone that owned a manufacturing business for 15 years I'm shocked that there isn't any Quality Assurance.

It may be time consuming to do QA, but in the long run it will reduce the workload for customer services, improve your reputation as a manufacturer, and all of your customers will be happy - riding their bikes on the day they receive them.

Prevention is always better than a cure.

I would be much happier if the bikes were checked before they were despatched to the customers instead of relying on the customers to report any faults and repair them themselves. As someone that owned a manufacturing business for 15 years I'm shocked that there isn't any Quality Assurance.

It may be time consuming to do QA, but in the long run it will reduce the workload for customer services, improve your reputation as a manufacturer, and all of your customers will be happy - riding their bikes on the day they receive them.

Prevention is always better than a cure.

While I completely agree with you, in Radpower's defense it does seem like almost of all of these issues are due to poor shipping packing, even the battery issues. That's completely their responsibility as well, but I give them a bit more leeway since it's harder for them to predict that. They packed it as adequately as they could have predicted. It seems like those loose wheels bouncing around the box really ripped up a lot of stuff for some members.

My guess is that they were packaged adequately for transport in a big shipping container from China, packed into a container there's a lot less individual movement for each box. However it needed additional packaging for the second and more stressful part of the journey.... when each bike was individually sent through UPS and local carriers. There's a lot more individual jostling/kicking/dropping of each box.

Edit: just saw some photos from the Sondor campaign, looks like their boxes had straps instead of just tape holding the bike together. While I don't know the condition of those bikes, extra straps couldn't hurt on future Radrovers deliveries.

Got my bike! Honest first assessment: Should have been strapped and everything inside zip tied appropriately. Wheel to frame, handle bars to the front end and adequate pacing on the parts that contact with the box. There should also at least be a plastic arm between the front fork drop outs to prevent bending. Disheartening to watch ups driver take it out of the truck end over end, didn't do it at least. Box should be labeled with an up direction too.

Also, rear wheel isn't trued (good enough I guess though) and the front brake wasn't setup properly; was to tight and off centered...both easy fixes thankfully for the brake.

Thankfully my bike is relatively unscathed otherwise. Scuffs on the right pedal arm and headset, both of which were through the box.

Wish they used tubes with Presta valves, those are more common with fat bikes and my low pressure gauge is Presta, not Schrader. Will have to swap the tubes asap. On the positive side I am pretty sure this bike will take a five inch tire come winter time, there is about three quarters of an inch on either side of the kenda tire in the rear!

After almost three hours of setup in the stifling humidity (our air worry in mn is the worst in the nation right now thanks to the Canadian fires), I'm ready for...a nap hahaha.

Just wanted to recommend the Portland design works tire remover/wrench. Fits the tire nuts and doubles as a tire wedge to remove them from the rim, worth the fifteen or twenty bucks to have those 2 tools in one, especially with having no quick release! on amazon for about 13 bucks.

Last edited:
I have a rear rack that i am going to attempt to install tomorrow, that should be fun! if it fits i will post up the model and brand details. also want to remove that front light, should probably ask if it is ok to go into the controller box for that first though.

should i feel bad that i debadged the bike? i do that to almost everything, didnt totally like the orange sticker look (they came off in one fell swoop once i could get a corner up).

final first thought, i knew knew knew i wouldnt like the front fork. it makes the angle much too relaxed for my liking, and the frame a little tall for me at 5ft10. i might take off my fork from my boris x7, which also happens to be a straight streerer and 135mm drop out. i crudely measured from crown to axle on the boris is about 18 inches, on the radrover it was about 21 inches!

I have a rear rack that i am going to attempt to install tomorrow, that should be fun! if it fits i will post up the model and brand details. also want to remove that front light, should probably ask if it is ok to go into the controller box for that first though.

should i feel bad that i debadged the bike? i do that to almost everything, didnt totally like the orange sticker look (they came off in one fell swoop once i could get a corner up).

final first thought, i knew knew knew i wouldnt like the front fork. it makes the angle much too relaxed for my liking, and the frame a little tall for me at 5ft10. i might take off my fork from my boris x7, which also happens to be a straight streerer and 135mm drop out. i crudely measured from crown to axle on the boris is about 18 inches, on the radrover it was about 21 inches!

@pxpaulx, In their FAQ Rad Rover says it will fit from 5'2" to 6'2" so based on that, I ordered one for my wife who is 5'4". Are you saying its too big for you at 5'10" ? If so, that has me very concerned this bike will fit her...in fact it almost confirms it will NOT. May I ask what is your inseam or can you take a pic standing over the frame (feel free to remove face is your concerned about privacy) :) Mine will ship in a couple weeks so if its too big, it would be best to talk with @Mike ASAP to prevent shipping(before it ships). Thanks! look forward to seeing what rear rack you are able to fit on the bike. She's excited so I sure hope it will fit someone who is 5'4" !!

@pxpaulx, In their FAQ Rad Rover says it will fit from 5'2" to 6'2" so based on that, I ordered one for my wife who is 5'4". Are you saying its too big for you at 5'10" ? If so, that has me very concerned this bike will fit her...in fact it almost confirms it will NOT. May I ask what is your inseam or can you take a pic standing over the frame (feel free to remove face is your concerned about privacy) :) Mine will ship in a couple weeks so if its too big, it would be best to talk with @Mike ASAP to prevent shipping(before it ships). Thanks! look forward to seeing what rear rack you are able to fit on the bike. She's excited so I sure hope it will fit someone who is 5'4" !!

@Schweddy My wife is 5'5" and test rode a RadRover here in Seattle when I did. She felt the bike was too tall for her to feel comfortable, however I think that was largely a function of her being uncomfortable on a bike in the first place. It really depends how comfortable your wife is balancing on the tips of her toes, I think.

@Schweddy My wife is 5'5" and test rode a RadRover here in Seattle when I did. She felt the bike was too tall for her to feel comfortable, however I think that was largely a function of her being uncomfortable on a bike in the first place. It really depends how comfortable your wife is balancing on the tips of her toes, I think.

Was she on her tip toes standing over the frame or from the seat? This has me very nervous and I would hate top hate to have to cancel after waiting this long. :(

This isn't a big girl either, and I'm sure she's is the one in the videos. Not saying much, but a little.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 290
Was she on her tip toes standing over the frame or from the seat? This has me very nervous and I would hate top hate to have to cancel after waiting this long. :(
It was 2 months ago or so, so my memory is a little fuzzy. For sure from the seat, but I think also from the frame. I think with some practice and comfort, she'd be fine.

Back