Any RadRover contributors out there ?

can't wait to pick up my bike on the weekend!the guy who put it together wants one, now that he's tested mine out. i guess that's a good sign :)

I got my tracking number on Tuesday and it said the expected delivery date was Tuesday next week. I thought that was a bit optimistic since I live in the UK and Monday is a bank holiday, but I've just seen that my bike is already in the UK! Hopefully I'll be riding my RadRover next week. I can't wait to start tearing up these hills in Sheffield... in style:cool::D

FYI for those of us in Batch 6. I noticed that we haven't had any updates so I emailed the Rad team and they said as of now mid-September, but they could be looking at another delay.

Losing faith that I'm going to really get any good riding time before rainy season starts up again here in Seattle...

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I saw that at Wally-World the other day. I want tires like that!

I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
You'll shoot your eye out, kid...

Yeah, probably not a bad choice for the money (the whole bike is under $250)... so many choices...

I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
You'll shoot your eye out, kid...

Yeah, probably not a bad choice for the money (the whole bike is under $250)... so many choices...

Oh, no... I don't want the BIKE. Just the tires. My RadRover will be here next week sometime, hopefully. Just paid the shipping on batch 4.

But those tires? Love them. They look like supermoto tires for a streetbike. Smooth and fast on pavement.

Christopher, I believe those tires are on a 20" Mongoose Massiff... the Dolomite comes with heavy cheap generic 6 1/2 lb. center bead knobby tires.. The Bridgestone supermotto motorcycle tires are great for a couple hundred bucks... The Kendas are really suffering on our gravely paved roads of Santa Cruz, Co...so I don't have much time or miles... I'll keep looking... but if I had to pick now I would probably go with the Vee Mission Commands...

Christopher, I believe those tires are on a 20" Mongoose Massiff... the Dolomite comes with heavy cheap generic 6 1/2 lb. center bead knobby tires.. The Bridgestone supermotto motorcycle tires are great for a couple hundred bucks... The Kendas are really suffering on our gravely paved roads of Santa Cruz, Co...so I don't have much time or miles... I'll keep looking... but if I had to pick now I would probably go with the Vee Mission Commands...

I've found the same - too bad the right motorcycle tires are so expensive. I like the VRM 302 Monster, but yeah, also a bit pricey. The extra weight is a concern, too, of course, but I'm hoping to balance out the weight with the superior rolling resistance.

My batch 2 RadRover arrived today. Packaging was much better for the second batch. No problems noticed thus far, unfortunately it will have to wait until Monday before I can assemble it.
P.S. The white RadRover has a nicer looking seat then the black.

My bike arrived this morning. Can't believe it only took 4 days to ship it to the UK. Everything was packed really well and it all went together easily. Its bigger than I was expecting and also faster and more powerful.

Just finished my first ride - travelling home from work. The Tour De France came to my home town (Sheffield) last year and the hill I live on was a category 4 climb (Jenkin Road). I live about two thirds of the way up and the RadRover handled it with no problem, I'm sure it would easily get to the top with little fuss.

It's an awesome bike and well worth the wait. :D

Just curious, there should be around 100 RR's out there soon... Are people happy with there rides, based on the tires only?
I just ordered 2 Vee Tire Speedster 26x 3.5 black wire (only $100 for 2 on Amazon)... I hated to give up the 1/2" in width, but that's the sacrifice for lower rolling resistance..until they make a wider speedster type tire... I just got "tired" of looking.. I'll keep the Kendas on the second bike for now... I plan on staying on pavement and hard pack so I really didn't need knobbies .. Maybe tubeless.. to save a little weight is next??

Vee rubber also makes the Sunlite Crusher and Origin8 Captiv8er UL .... which are from the same mold/dye??
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZQY9GQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

picked up my RR today from the bike shop. went for my first ride mostly flat land, moderate hills in park by the beach.
The power/torque from a dead stop is so so. i'm clocking in at 265 so it may feel more spritely for you lighter folks. gotta
say though compared to my previous bike (Volton Alation 500w rear hub brushless geared motor) this one doesn't feel as powerful from a dead stop. i was expecting it to be more powerful since the specs are very similar and the Radrover is rated even higher at 750w. maybe it's because the overall bike is a bit heavier (Volton is 6lbs lighter). otherwise i don't know why this would be.
Since the Volton is my closest point of reference i can't help but compare the two.

My immediate thought even when getting on the bike is this is one heavy bike. but once it gets going it doesn't matter since the motor helps in a major way. if i can use a car analogy the difference between the two bikes is the Volton feels closer to a race car with insane torque and the Radrover feels like a luxury sedan that is smoother, heavier and more cushy because of the big fat tires. it rolls over just about anything, bumpy roads are welcome and when you glide over uneven pavement, rocks, potholes you practically don't feel it and that puts a smile on your face.

my first ride for a total of about 20 miles was great! this is a fun bike. it's built like a tank and flattens out all the bumps in the road. going over bumpy grassy hills was fun fun fun! the steering felt a bit cumbersome compared to my previous ebike (mountain bike tires). maybe because i'm still getting used to the feel of the RR. it doesn't feel like it wants to be thrown around to zip around corners etc. that's the trade off with the fat tires i suppose.
at the end of the ride the battery had 3 bars left. i was doing plenty of pedaling but wasn't shy with the throttle either. still have to dial things in, maybe swap the seat out though the supplied one is nice but it's very personal thing with seats :)

one nice thing is that you don't need the key inserted into the battery to turn the RR on which the volton did require. no chance of snapping the key while riding.

so far i'm happy with it for the price i paid and even at the retail of 1499. it's still a good deal

Last edited:
picked up my RR today from the bike shop. went for my first ride mostly flat land, moderate hills in park by the beach.
The power/torque from a dead stop is so so. i'm clocking in at 265 so it may feel more spritely for you lighter folks. gotta
say though compared to my previous bike (Volton Alation 500w rear hub brushless geared motor) this one doesn't feel as powerful from a dead stop. i was expecting it to be more powerful since the specs are very similar and the Radrover is rated even higher at 750w. maybe it's because the overall bike is a bit heavier (Volton is 6lbs lighter). otherwise i don't know why this would be.
Since the Volton is my closest point of reference i can't help but compare the two.

My immediate thought even when getting on the bike is this is one heavy bike. but once it gets going it doesn't matter since the motor helps in a major way. if i can use a car analogy the difference between the two bikes is the Volton feels closer to a race car with insane torque and the Radrover feels like a luxury sedan that is smoother, heavier and more cushy because of the big fat tires. it rolls over just about anything, bumpy roads are welcome and when you glide over uneven pavement, rocks, potholes you practically don't feel it and that puts a smile on your face.

my first ride for a total of about 20 miles was great! this is a fun bike. it's built like a tank and flattens out all the bumps in the road. going over bumpy grassy hills was fun fun fun! the steering felt a bit cumbersome compared to my previous ebike (mountain bike tires). maybe because i'm still getting used to the feel of the RR. it doesn't feel like it wants to be thrown around to zip around corners etc. that's the trade off with the fat tires i suppose.
at the end of the ride the battery had 3 bars left. i was doing plenty of pedaling but wasn't shy with the throttle either. still have to dial things in, maybe swap the seat out though the supplied one is nice but it's very personal thing with seats :)

one nice thing is that you don't need the key inserted into the battery to turn the RR on which the volton did require. no chance of snapping the key while riding.

so far i'm happy with it for the price i paid and even at the retail of 1499. it's still a good deal

M,
What tire pressure are you running? For my 1st street ride, I tried 12r 10f and was disappointed also... So bummed it to 20r 18f and it rolled a lot better... I still was expecting more from 22amps peak or 1056 watts... but I have nothing to compare too... except another batch 2 RR.. Mine also weigh just over 63 lbs.. each.. I think the lack or perceived power may have a lot to do with my weight and the heavy wheel weight the motor has to overcome... Kind of like car manufacturers horsepower claims... vs real measured hp at the wheels..
I still am learning to ride it and on the road I just keep it in PAS 5 and it goes pretty good...it will be even better with the Speedster tires pumped up over 20 psi..

M,
What tire pressure are you running? For my 1st street ride, I tried 12r 10f and was disappointed also... So bummed it to 20r 18f and it rolled a lot better... I still was expecting more from 22amps peak or 1056 watts... but I have nothing to compare too... except another batch 2 RR.. Mine also weigh just over 63 lbs.. each.. I think the lack or perceived power may have a lot to do with my weight and the heavy wheel weight the motor has to overcome... Kind of like car manufacturers horsepower claims... vs real measured hp at the wheels..
I still am learning to ride it and on the road I just keep it in PAS 5 and it goes pretty good...it will be even better with the Speedster tires pumped up over 20 psi..
that is a great suggestion. you may be onto something there. i did not check what psi the tires were so that may be what is making it a bit sluggish.

Thanks! Now, this is why I'm excited about the bike (getting mine tomorrow -finally!!! EDIT: Rescheduled to Wednesday, it's stuck in Denmark after spending two nights in Germany) - the cushioning when riding on uneven pavement and over bumps. My city is literally paved with bumps, holes and edges and I feel like I'm destroying my current ebike and my body riding around, sometimes. And that's why I was so excited about getting an electric fatbike. The bikes are still really heavy, but the ride will be smoother. If everything goes well I will take the RR up in the city hills this coming weekend to really get a feel for it. I will supply both pictures and and my thoughts about it, especially from the perspective of riding an almost equally heavy bike, but with just a 250w motor.

Last edited:
P,
Pretty exciting, you'll be glad you stuck with it... Do you have the battery ready to go?

I have only beens on 3 short rides, the last one under 10 miles of mild hilly pavement, hardpack and loose gravel and sand... (We had to cut it short after my wife had a slow speed uphill fall over... not really a crash, little elbow scrape...) You'll have to play with the tire pressure... at almost 20 per tire... the ride is not so cushy (than say 11...) but it rolls great... It will roll even better when fitted with the Vee Speedster quasi road tires...
On our 10 miles, we rode mostly in PAS 1, 2... and pedaled 90% of the time and the batt. indicator still read full.. so I think the range with PAS will be 30-40 (48-64km) miles or more..on the flats... We also barely broke a sweat on our short, less than a hour ride...in perfect 75 (24C) degree weather...

Planning a longer ride soon..

Almost ready to go - just a little ride across town with it, but will have to wait until Thursday to do that. EDIT: And now it's gonna arrive tomorrow again...

Last edited:
...and now for the exciting part: The bike is stuck in Oslo, awaiting clearance...: "Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release." (Oslo is 500 km / 310 miles away, or just a short flight, from Trondheim)

Last edited:
...and now for the exciting part: The bike is stuck in Oslo, awaiting clearance...: "Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release." (Oslo is 500 km / 310 miles away, or just a short flight, from Trondheim)

P,
Is it tomorrow yet! Is what they call "the clearing agency" equiv. to our US customs?? Sounds like your bike is, at least in your country.. a really good sign...
Wow, I just checked Trondheim's' weather.. it's already our winter there..good luck.

P,
Is it tomorrow yet! Is what they call "the clearing agency" equiv. to our US customs?? Sounds like your bike is, at least in your country.. a really good sign...
Wow, I just checked Trondheim's' weather.. it's already our winter there..good luck.

It will be here tomorrow, I'm certain. Winter? Ha! You don't know winter, my friend! ;-) Just a week ago it was 26 degrees Celsius. 12-20 degrees are more than normal this time of year, and the forecast says it's gonna be a mild autumn. For Trondheim. That means no snow until December (maybe) and 0-12 degrees throughout October and November. Gonna ride the RR until christmas, baby! (maybe not). :p

Back