Any experiences removing Creo internal battery and riding only with Extender?

eddief

I am doing this experiment as I want to use my Creo for overseas travel. I have removed the internal battery and done a couple of test rides using just the extender. There is a rumor about that suggests the Extender batteries when used on their own have a tendency to drain quickly when at the 25% level. Any info appreciated.

I am doing this experiment as I want to use my Creo for overseas travel. I have removed the internal battery and done a couple of test rides using just the extender. There is a rumor about that suggests the Extender batteries when used on their own have a tendency to drain quickly when at the 25% level. Any info appreciated.
Cannot provide any solid proof for that but there might be a grain of truth in the opinion you quoted. I often ride in the "Discharge the RE first" mode. Whenever the RE is low, the main battery kicks in to provide some extra juice, especially when more assistance is required (like, bursts of TURBO mode). I think the battery management system of the SL tries to limit too high current from the depleted RE in such a situation.

It has occurred to me not once and not twice I was ending the ride with 10% of Range Extender, and the initially fully charged main battery was dropping down to 92% (providing extra 16% of the Range Extender equivalent). Even if the RE should have been fully depleted first according to the option name!

Make sure you have the latest firmware in the bicycle and RE(s) as they have improved the behavior at the low levels for all batteries. One of these days I may do an experiment and take out my main battery too just to see what happens since I'm getting the same questions from my riding friends.

The people I know that are planning to travel Creo are taking three RE batteries. One person will carry on two RE (max allowed by TSA) and their partner who doesn't need any will carry one. They still have the problem of only being able to charge one RE per charger at a time as a Y cable will not work to charge two RE.

If you are planning to travel with just RE make sure to get an extra bike cable as cheap insurance for a critical item. I accidentally and easily broke one just before a ride with the crank. I forgot to reconnect after unplugging the charger. Fortunately I had a spare. We recently had an issue with a rider thinking his RE battery was empty when in fact it was 100% and his cable was bad (wear and tear). We swapped from a rider that did not need his RE cable to finish the route.

which extra cable are you suggesting. RE battery to bike's charging receptacle? Thank, Eddie
Allan means the 220 mm Road SL Cable, the one that connects the RE to the e-bike. I had no issues with mine, I ride a lot, many rides in forests.

How difficult was it to remove the main battery and how easy do you think the reverse reinstalling the main battery will be?

I do have to get my Creo in for the battery updates.

Yep, I understand. Seems like on a bike tour in Europe might be good to have a spare.
I have managed to get 56 mile out just a RE, but on fairly flat ground. Where in Europe are you going? I am in UK and have 4 good working main batteries and would lend one on a deposit basis if that would help you out? Takes me 10 mins to swap them out

I have managed to get 56 mile out just a RE, but on fairly flat ground. Where in Europe are you going? I am in UK and have 4 good working main batteries and would lend one on a deposit basis if that would help you out? Takes me 10 mins to swap them out
I don't have a trip planned yet. I am still a pretty strong rider and two RE batteries should serve me just fine. Today I rode 20 miles flat with no motor at all.

How difficult was it to remove the main battery and how easy do you think the reverse reinstalling the main battery will be?

I do have to get my Creo in for the battery updates.
There are two vids I know of that show how. One on a Creo and one on a Levo. If you could have taken an infrared vid of me doing it for the first time things would have looked very "hot" cuz I was concerned about killing my $10K bike dead. If I had to do it a second time I am guessing it would be around 20-30 minutes in or out. I took it slow and easy and it all went fairly smoothly; just six bolts for the motor and two for the battery, and then unplugging battery from motor (easy). I also wrapped the now exposed battery connector in bubble wrap and stuffed back up into the down tube. You do have to jockey the motor a bit to get it to come out of its tightly seated spot in the frame. Two things to note: The bolts have Torx 30 heads so you gotta have good tools and it seemed a little too easy to possibly strip them as they did not seem as deep as could be in order to crank on them hard and keep the Torx tool engaged. And after putting 5 of 6 bolts back in I noticed a black spacer on the floor of my garage. Turns out one of the long motor bolts requires that spacer and none of the other 5 do. Easy to see where it goes but don't forget it and I think easiest to reinstall that bolt first. Lastly it makes sense to cover the now open battery bolt holes with tape or something to prevent water from entering the down tube.

On my bike I could get to bolts without removing crank arms or chainring. Think Sworks models require those to come off. Good luck.

Levo is similar to Creo but not the same but the combo of the two vids show the steps.

Last edited:
I don't have a trip planned yet. I am still a pretty strong rider and two RE batteries should serve me just fine. Today I rode 20 miles flat with no motor at all.
Same as me. I use the battery when I need it. I have done the Di2 hack, so have power selection on shifters, so dead easy to power up and off. I have also dropped my bike weight from 14kg down to 12.2kg and same as S-Works with careful upgrades....

Same as me. I use the battery when I need it. I have done the Di2 hack, so have power selection on shifters, so dead easy to power up and off. I have also dropped my bike weight from 14kg down to 12.2kg and same as S-Works with careful upgrades....
I have changed out my complete Di2 drivetrain and replaced it with SRAM 12 AXS GX. That means for travel and packing no extra wires to deal with. Oh also due to neck issues I have installed upright bars with the power button from a Levo. All works great.

There are two vids I know of that show how. One on a Creo and one on a Levo. If you could have taken an infrared vid of me doing it for the first time things would have looked very "hot" cuz I was concerned about killing my $10K bike dead. If I had to do it a second time I am guessing it would be around 20-30 minutes in or out. I took it slow and easy and it all went fairly smoothly; just six bolts for the motor and two for the battery, and then unplugging battery from motor (easy). I also wrapped the now exposed battery connector in bubble wrap and stuffed back up into the down tube. You do have to jockey the motor a bit to get it to come out of its tightly seated spot in the frame. Two things to note: The bolts have Torx 30 heads so you gotta have good tools and it seemed a little too easy to possibly strip them as they did not seem as deep as could be in order to crank on them hard and keep the Torx tool engaged. And after putting 5 of 6 bolts back in I noticed a black spacer on the floor of my garage. Turns out one of the long motor bolts requires that spacer and none of the other 5 do. Easy to see where it goes but don't forget it and I think easiest to reinstall that bolt first. Lastly it makes sense to cover the now open battery bolt holes with tape or something to prevent water from entering the down tube.

On my bike I could get to bolts without removing crank arms or chainring. Think Sworks models require those to come off. Good luck.

Levo is similar to Creo but not the same but the combo of the two vids show the steps.

Thanks for some of your details. I was just discussing this with a friend yesterday. Having your own bike versus a rental is much better.

Or....

37.64 ounces for those of us stuck in the dark ages! ;)
I was weighing a Range Extender without the cable. The weight is 1.00 kg or 2.2 lb (as specified in the Specialized specifications) :D

I was weighing a Range Extender without the cable. The weight is 1.00 kg or 2.2 lb (as specified in the Specialized specifications) :D
When you pick it up, it feels like a brick. A round brick but nonetheless a brick. I know when I return from a ride and carry it up three sets of stairs, it is THERE! :)

When you pick it up, it feels like a brick. A round brick but nonetheless a brick. I know when I return from a ride and carry it up three sets of stairs, it is THERE! :)
Yes.
Now fancy me with a pannier containing 3 Range Extenders, tools, inner tube, the bottle of isotonic drink, and whatnot attached to Vado SL; and another bottle of drink and yet another Range Extender on the frame :)
After my last 130 km ride I was so indifferent I just carried what remained up 3 flight of stairs to save time and walking up and down the staircase :)

Back