Another Kiwi

Rod Jets

Hi from Wellington, New Zealand.

I've been riding my Specialized Vado 3 for over a year now and have 2,800km on it. I tried a lot of different ebikes before the Vado. I can't believe how well it fitted straight out of the box and how much it felt like a normal bike. Still, there have been a couple of changes I've made.
  • Motor has been factory derestricted from 32km/hr to 43km/hr
  • 48T chainring replaces the 40T original
  • 12/42 10sp Deore cassette
  • 130link KMC X10e chain
  • Brooks Flyer Special saddle
  • Maxxis Crossmark 2.1" tyres
My commute is 10km each way, including hills, wind, shared offroad townbelt dirt tracks and waterfront pedestrian/cycle way.

The stock Trigger tyres are really good on road and in the dry off road, but as it's winter now I'm running the Crossmark's which are much better in the mud and wet trails, but are noisier on road. I'm getting 1,300km per chain and a little less per set of brake pads.

If I could change anything about the bike it would be to have 6mm more mudguard clearance in the back under the carrier and rear stays. There aren't many 47mm wide tyres around suited to trail riding, but there is a fair selection of 2.1" 29er tyres.

The Vado 3 has made commuting the highlight of my day rain, or shine. What a great bike!

cheers

Attachments

• 20180601_081609.jpg
    20180601_081609.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 502
Last edited:
@Rod Jets
Welcome to the forum.
Nice looking ride, hope you are going to share more photos from your rides.

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_115728_opt.jpg
    IMG_20180521_115728_opt.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 488
Last edited:
hey, another Aotearoaian from further north....did you have any issues with "adjusting" the motor ?, I was hoping to squeeze a bit more zoom zoom from mine, but the local bike guy was adamant that it was dangerous, would void the warranty, excessive stress on the spokes/rims... etc, and that there was no way they'd do it.....also, I've been thinking about getting panniers, mainly for groceries, and 20kg+ loads...what brand are yours, and would you recommend them?

Cheers, Darren

Hi Guys, also from NZ, been commuting on a Vado 3 in Auckland and have done 2000km. Sonusfaber#1 I had the speed increased from new, it wasn't a issue with my LBS in fact they ungraded all their new bikes as well. Its been a fantastic bike, so much faster to get to work on my 11km commute than my car.
I will also upgrade the cassette and chain ring, I have a Connex chain put aside. I changed the tires to Schwalbe marathon plus 47-622 and found them very good in the wet and dry, the Triggers that came on the bike wear quite fast esp. on the rear. I have a Vaude Silkroad plus bag on the rack to take everything I need including wet weather gear, found it perfect for my use but probably not for 20kg of groceries!

Hey Guys, great to catch up.

Quadracer - NZ Vado3 bikes initially came as the 20mph (32km/hr) version. But as 28mph (45km/hr) is legal here and are available in the US Specialized were happy to reflash it for the higher limit. Mine doesn't quite get to 45, but 43 is easy and way better than 32km/hr. I know you can get a dongle to do the same thing for other brands, like the Bafang that's on your Smartmotion. Check online.

I'm using Ortlieb Classic rear panniers and recommend them unconditionally. Also look at Axiom racks to fit your bike, they're good too. Yes the Classics aren't cheap, but they are very effective at keeping your stuff dry and so quick and easy to put on and take off. They will also easily take 20kg of groceries.

Sonusfaber - I got a 48T/BCD104mm narrow wide chain ring off eBay for <$35, only because the Specialized one that they said was coming didn't materialise. At 43km/hr with the stock 40T you're peddling far too fast. 48T drops the cadence by 20% and means you're using more of the cassette than the last 2 cogs. I've just changed my chain for the second time and it measures 130links + the joining link. The Shimano cassette is a 11-42T and is the widest 10sp range they make. It's significantly better shifting than the stock Sunrace one the Vado3 comes with.

Looks like we might also share an interest in Audio?

cheers

Hiya

Hey thanks for your response, after reading lots of reviews, decided on Vaude panniers,as they seem to be a similar design/fabric etc to the Ortliebs... and a Tortec Expedition pannier rack, all up incl shipping etc, a smidge over $NZD 200...thnx Amazon/Wiggle ;)

Read a few hacks to deregulate the motor, but didn't seem to make much difference, still, zips along pretty well....it'll be interesting to see how the Tangerine Dream copes with me+30kgs of groceries in the panniers.

Yeah I'm also a bit of a home theatre fan, and run Sonus Faber Toy Towers as my front spkrs...got them for a bargain when working in Dubai, had them about 8 yrs....beautiful sound, beautifully made, would love to get Amati's, or Liliums but, only if I win Lotto!!

enjoy Queen's Birthday!!

cheers

Darren & Quad...

Can you explain the restrictions / rules relating to ebikes in NZ.

... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys, great to catch up.

Quadracer - NZ Vado3 bikes initially came as the 20mph (32km/hr) version. But as 28mph (45km/hr) is legal here and are available in the US Specialized were happy to reflash it for the higher limit. Mine doesn't quite get to 45, but 43 is easy and way better than 32km/hr. I know you can get a dongle to do the same thing for other brands, like the Bafang that's on your Smartmotion. Check online.

I'm using Ortlieb Classic rear panniers and recommend them unconditionally. Also look at Axiom racks to fit your bike, they're good too. Yes the Classics aren't cheap, but they are very effective at keeping your stuff dry and so quick and easy to put on and take off. They will also easily take 20kg of groceries.

Sonusfaber - I got a 48T/BCD104mm narrow wide chain ring off eBay for <$35, only because the Specialized one that they said was coming didn't materialise. At 43km/hr with the stock 40T you're peddling far too fast. 48T drops the cadence by 20% and means you're using more of the cassette than the last 2 cogs. I've just changed my chain for the second time and it measures 130links + the joining link. The Shimano cassette is a 11-42T and is the widest 10sp range they make. It's significantly better shifting than the stock Sunrace one the Vado3 comes with.

Looks like we might also share an interest in Audio?

cheers

Hi Rod, yes mine was also the 32km version until it was flashed. I also only get 43km but is fast enough for my commute. I have a question regarding removing the cranks. Is it as simple as removing the inner alan nut? I get a small turn before its stops - I didn't want to force it.
Cheers Simon.

I've not had to remove the cranks yet, even to fit the new chainring, so I can't say.

Couple of pics added looking at Wellington city from Mt Victoria and South towards Wellington airport.

cheers

Attachments

• 20180605_150859.jpg
    20180605_150859.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 432
  • 20180605_151030.jpg
    20180605_151030.jpg
    894.5 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Back