Another ebike for Albuquerque!

Girl Bike

Hello! I LOVE bike touring. Went across a few states on a tandem, a hybrid, and a road bike. Then I stopped riding because we moved someplace where I literally could not make it out of our neighborhood because of hills. I used to feel like I had something to prove, to challenge myself.

Now I’m at a different station in life. And a different city. Sunshine. Less hilly and bike lanes. Middle age, but not yet eligible for AARP membership. I’ve NEVER been athletic, even when I rode, but I’ve been looking for a way to recapture the joy I felt riding. Bought a recumbent. Scared to ride it in ABQ Plus the hills are even worse. Looked into those cute retro scooters but it’s just not the same as a bike. Then I discovered ebikes.

I almost bought the Trek Supercommuter 7+ because it looks and rides just awesome, but I had similar back discomfort I had on my road bike and would need to swap out stems, saddles, etc. just to ride it. I did some serious soul searching. It was more than buying a bike. It’s a paradigm shift. After test riding multiple bikes, this one sparks joy to look at and ride. First I had to accept that it’s “okay” to get what they now call a step over frame, but what I grew up known as a girl bike. If I’m going to get a step over frame, I thought, I might as well get the prettiest one with the best performance I could find.

I got the Electra Townie Commute. In Mineral blue, like the NewMexico sky. It’s a tank. But the motor offsets it. I just returned from my first ride since I brought her home this past weekend. It’s absolutely liberating to go for a bike in a skirt, without spandex or fussing with clipping into the pedals. No anxiety at the intersections, about falling from a failure to free my shoe from the pedal. Exhilarating.

As for accessories, I envision a wicker handlebar basket full of kittens or a baguette and a bouquet of flowers. I feel like a kid again!

A fellow "505" ebiker! Green, Red, or Christmas?

I think I've only seen about 1-2 ebikes in ABQ in the last +2 years. It will be nice to see other ebikers hitting the bike trails around town. The wife and I sometimes hit the farmers markets on the weekend with our ebikes (Rail yard, Downtown Grower's Market, or Los Ranchos Grower's Market).

Any Plans to ride to Balloon Fiesta if the weather holds out? Planning to ride on Saturday morning, 10/6/18, to check out the mass ascension around sunrise. I usually don't go into into the park, I like to park on the North Channel trail where it turns into dirt after the bridge just outside the southwest entrance across the large water spillway. Pretty good views from that location no matter which direction the wind blows. Having an ebike makes the +30 mile round-trip from my house on the west side very easy.

Three of us will be hanging out with my on two Radrovers and Radcity Step-thru.

First I had to accept that it’s “okay” to get what they now call a step over frame, but what I grew up known as a girl bike. If I’m going to get a step over frame, I thought, I might as well get the prettiest one with the best performance I could find.
It’s absolutely liberating to go for a bike in a skirt, without spandex or fussing with clipping into the pedals.
As for accessories, I envision a wicker handlebar basket full of kittens or a baguette and a bouquet of flowers. I feel like a kid again!

Tried to find a decent image, but couldn't -- so a short Youtube clip of what I was after -- "Portlandia" Season 1, Carrie Brownstein on a bike, in a flowery sun dress, white handlebar streamers blowing, a wicker basket filled with flowers & spinning pinwheels...

Girly Biking (from "Portlandia")

Hello! I LOVE bike touring. Went across a few states on a tandem, a hybrid, and a road bike. Then I stopped riding because we moved someplace where I literally could not make it out of our neighborhood because of hills. I used to feel like I had something to prove, to challenge myself.

Now I’m at a different station in life. And a different city. Sunshine. Less hilly and bike lanes. Middle age, but not yet eligible for AARP membership. I’ve NEVER been athletic, even when I rode, but I’ve been looking for a way to recapture the joy I felt riding. Bought a recumbent. Scared to ride it in ABQ Plus the hills are even worse. Looked into those cute retro scooters but it’s just not the same as a bike. Then I discovered ebikes.

I almost bought the Trek Supercommuter 7+ because it looks and rides just awesome, but I had similar back discomfort I had on my road bike and would need to swap out stems, saddles, etc. just to ride it. I did some serious soul searching. It was more than buying a bike. It’s a paradigm shift. After test riding multiple bikes, this one sparks joy to look at and ride. First I had to accept that it’s “okay” to get what they now call a step over frame, but what I grew up known as a girl bike. If I’m going to get a step over frame, I thought, I might as well get the prettiest one with the best performance I could find.

I got the Electra Townie Commute. In Mineral blue, like the NewMexico sky. It’s a tank. But the motor offsets it. I just returned from my first ride since I brought her home this past weekend. It’s absolutely liberating to go for a bike in a skirt, without spandex or fussing with clipping into the pedals. No anxiety at the intersections, about falling from a failure to free my shoe from the pedal. Exhilarating.

A fellow "505" ebiker! Green, Red, or Christmas?

I think I've only seen about 1-2 ebikes in ABQ in the last +2 years. It will be nice to see other ebikers hitting the bike trails around town. The wife and I sometimes hit the farmers markets on the weekend with our ebikes (Rail yard, Downtown Grower's Market, or Los Ranchos Grower's Market).

Any Plans to ride to Balloon Fiesta if the weather holds out? Planning to ride on Saturday morning, 10/6/18, to check out the mass ascension around sunrise. I usually don't go into into the park, I like to park on the North Channel trail where it turns into dirt after the bridge just outside the southwest entrance across the large water spillway. Pretty good views from that location no matter which direction the wind blows. Having an ebike makes the +30 mile round-trip from my house on the west side very easy.

Three of us will be hanging out with my on two Radrovers and Radcity Step-thru.
Green. But sometimes I get tired of it. Am I allowed to say that outloud? I want to bike there sat. but we usually do the Park and Ride. If weather holds out I might bike there the following weekend for the mass ascension. I’m hoping next year at this time the family will want to bike there too.

Back