Anggun and Epik SE

RavingRoo

I think this is my third post here. I figured I'd drop a line and introduce myself and say I only discovered the ebike world a little over a month ago, but in that time I've gone down the rabbit hole. Of course, I knew this form of transport must exist, but it wasn't until a month or so ago that I dived in head-deep, reading, researching, and ultimately making purchases. See, I wanted to ride a bike for a while now, but I live in a very hilly area, and, well, I'm not exactly in the best shape, and I could stand to lose a few pounds. So, I always dismissed the idea when it entered my mind. Then, I read about ebikes, and I was intrigued to say the least. Since then, I fixed up my old Novara Aspen (non-ebike) that hadn't been used in 15 years, then I ordered and received a Hill Topper kit, which is great by the way, but I decided to drop the cash on a purpose-built ebike, the e-Joe Anggun. It's the best bike I've ever owned. That's not to say there aren't better bikes of course, but I've pretty much only ever owned department store bikes or slightly better (the Novara Aspen being as good as it gets for me until recently). But hey, why have one purpose-built ebike when you can have two? So, a few days ago I ordered an e-Joe Epik SE which will give me an ultra portable option that I can take just about anywhere. I managed 106 biking miles (Novara, Hill Topper, and Anggun) for September (actually, it was all within the past 2.5 weeks). That's after 0 biking miles for the past 15 years. So yes, you could say I drank the kool-aid, got drunk, then lost my mind. :)

And thanks Court for this invaluable resource!

Better watch that Kool Aid, @RavingRoo :) The freedom of an ebike is exhilarating, isn't it. The E-Joe line of bikes is very affordable and good quality. Got some pics of you and the bike or some of where you ride? We'd enjoy seeing them!

It is pretty amazing Ann. While I waited for the Hill Topper kit to arrive a few weeks ago, I did ride my Novara Aspen and managed to do a 10 mile trip. But along the way I had to get off the bike and walk it several times to make it up some steep and long hills. The first time I took the Hill Topper out, I did that same trip, and while it was still very tiring pedaling up those hills, I made it without having to walk the bike once. That was a pretty amazing difference! I don't have any photos yet, but I'll be sure to upload some in the future.

Well, this is a tidbit aimed at a very specific audience (possibly only me), but it is now confirmed the e-Joe Anggun 3.0 fits inside a second generation (2011) Honda Fit subcompact with saddle removed and front wheel removed (quick release). There's even room left over for an Epik SE, folded up of course. :D

I received the Epik SE today and went for a maiden voyage tonight, and even got rained on a bit which was unexpected. Anyway, I'm really happy with this purchase so far. I admit I had a bit of an infatuation with the look of this bike, which played into my decision to buy it, and well, it does not disappoint in person. Love the matte black, the shape, and the black spokes complete the look. As for the ride, I've never ridden a folding bike before and the last time I road any bike with wheels smaller than 26" was when I was a kid. But, once I got going, honestly I didn't really notice that much of a difference. I guess I expected a dramatically different feel but if the feel is different, I took to it pretty quickly. Completed a 17 mile ride and still had 2 out of 4 battery LEDs lit, and I live in a really hilly area, so the range seems at least as good if not better than I expected. I'll need to push that to the limit to know for sure what I can get.

Something I noticed while riding the Epik SE last night, either I had more strength than normal, or the smaller wheels do indeed make a noticeable difference when climbing hills. Gotta love that mechanical advantage. :) On the flip side, I also noticed the top speed from pedaling doesn't even reach 20mph without pedaling faster than is comfortable. Makes sense then that it would be better on the hills than the Anggun, which I can comfortably pedal at a reasonable cadence up to 20mph or so. Both have 7 speeds.

Well, this is a (second) tidbit aimed at a very specific audience (again, possibly only me), but the e-Joe Epik SE fits (folded) in the back of a second generation (2011) Honda Fit without folding down the rear seats. That's actually pretty awesome! I know, I get excited by seemingly mundane details. :)

Yesterday I took the Epik SE out for a second ride and biked 33.87 miles on the Chester Valley Trail in the Philly burbs (from Exton to King of Prussia). About 4 miles beyond the eastern end of this trail is my office, and I decided (last minute) to continue all the way to my office (which I later regretted), on less than ideal roads in a busy suburb. This represents half of my driving commute, and I plan to do it some day to/from work, but probably not until the late spring as I don't really want to ride back in the dark most of the way. As it was, (and this is why I regretted it) I did actually wind up riding the last 4-5 miles in near darkness yesterday and it was REALLY cold! Earlier in the ride I encountered a bit of rain, snow and ice pellets, to give you an idea. And no, I wasn't expecting that! So, both times I've ridden the Epik I faced unexpected precipitation. I'm glad this bike has proper fenders now compared to earlier versions. Anyway, I rode many miles without any assistance, especially early on. When I did ride with assistance it was level 2 most of the time. On the way back, at about 27 or 28 miles the battery was exhausted. So, I figure if I had ridden with assistance level 2 the whole way I probably would have only managed around 20 miles or so, which is inline with where e-Joe rates this bike (only a 9Ah battery). There was as stiff headwind on the way back along with a gradual but steady incline. I want to try the Anggun on this route and see what kind of range I get with it's much bigger battery (15ah). I assume with the same level of assistance, on the Anggun I probably would only deplete about half the battery or so. The good thing is that if I do this "commute" one day to work, I can recharge the Epik's battery while at work, so no problem there. I can also recharge my quads. :)

Last edited:
Good for you!

I rode through last winter here in Central PA, with a 16 AH battery (remember how cold last year was) and in the winter I could get 35 miles on a single charge with medium to strong pedaling. Summer I can get 45+ miles on a charge. So the 15 AH battery should get you there and home, but keep the battery as warm as possible, you'll get more miles.

I agree it was cold Monday morning! Made my chest cold much worse riding in 25 F, but I just had to ride my new bike and now I'm paying for it... can't sleep:eek:

I've ridden about 17 miles on the Anggun in the low 50s, with a lot of hills, and averaging 13-14mph, and still had more than half the battery left. I have no doubt it could make it to/from on the route I took on Sunday. The previous Sunday I rode about 19 miles on the Anggun in the upper 60s near Middletown, DE (almost entirely flat) and had about 2/3 of the battery left. That's inline with the 50-60 as advertised.

I hope we don't have another harsh winter. I just got back into riding and would like to continue to do so through the winter. I congratulate you on riding through last winter! I'm not sure I could put up with that!

Hey, Roo!
We're neighbors - I'm in Newark, Delaware. I've had an e-bike since 2008 and rode it quite a bit the first couple of years for commuting to work. But then got into riding a Sun recumbent. I also had some problems with my e-bike - an EcoBike Vatavio - and by the time the problems started Eco-Bike was out of business in the U.S. The e-bike had become so unreliable that I no longer could trust it for anything other than riding around my neighborhood.

Unfortunately, my knees have gotten a lot worse the past couple of years and I just can't manage the hills anymore on the 'bent. I just ordered a new e-bike and considered the Epik SE but ended up going with the Enzo, which is apparently a fairly new and little-known brand. I had planned to get something sold by my nearest e-bike store (the one in West Chester) but I didn't find anything there I really liked. I am partial to a folding bike for the ease of storage at work (another reason I have trended away from the 'bent for commuting).

Anyway, maybe I'll see you on one of our local trails. Have you tried the Michael Castle trail along the C&D Canal down here in DE? I've been on the Schuylkill River Trail a few times but not the Chester Valley Trail.

@K9Leader: I was just in Newark (Univ. of DE) last week for a conference.

The Enzo looks like a great choice. I watched Court's review of the Enzo, and it uses a variation of the same frame I've seen used on a number of ebike folders, including the Epik Lite and SE. I think it's a nice looking frame style, and I love that the battery is completely concealed within the frame. The Enzo has a pretty awesome look with those unique wheels.

Today I loaded up the Epik in my car and drove to my childhood neighborhood in the Northwood neighborhood of Philadelphia (which is a small pocket within the Frankford section with huge 100+ year old single and twin homes). I road around about 14 miles exploring the old 'hood. Definitely no serious hills to contend with there, as is the case in much of Philly. I was happy to see a number of the main roads had bike lanes, although they are the kind of bike lanes that can put you on a collision course with an opening car door. I definitely stayed on high alert.

I have been on the Michael Castle Trail on foot (summer before last), but I have not biked it yet. A friend of mine lives near that trail, so it will definitely be on the itinerary at some point.

Good luck with the Enzo!

Today on the Schuylkill River Trail with the Epik SE.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
For those who know the area, I went from Valley Forge up to Phoenixville and back, then down to near Conshohocken and back again. Mostly the Schuylkill River Trail, but also a small portion of the Perkiomen Trail. 32.28 miles

Last week on the Enola Low Grade Trail (along the Susquehanna River) in Lancaster County, PA with the Epik SE. I keep a spare battery in the bag (just barely fits length-wise).

I went for a bike ride with a friend this past Saturday, he road the Epik SE, I road the Anggun. Granted he's probably a stronger rider and I weigh more, but he was always passing me with ease on the hills, even staying in the highest gear (something that would have stopped me dead on the hills on the Anggun). Late in the ride we switched bikes, and then it was I who was passing him, and staying in the highest gear. Both bikes have 350 watt rear hub motors. I know the gearing on the Epik is lower (lower top pedaling speed), so obviously that helps. But that big a difference on the hills has got to be the mechanical advantage of the smaller 20" wheels, right? Both of these bikes are mine, so I've ridden each many times, and I've noticed this difference before, but I didn't quite realize how pronounced a difference it is until I road the bikes back-to-back. The Epik SE just blows away the Anggun on the hills. Sure, there's also a weight difference between the bikes, but that weight difference is only a small percentage of the overall weight (including rider). I just found it interesting how much better the little folding bike does on the hills.

I believe you are correct on the wheel size, my wife would always pass me on her epik lite when she had it. Too bad it was slow as jerk everywhere else, made our rides less fun. Haibike alleviated that in more ways than one!

On level ground, I usually cruise along at 15mph on the Epik, which I find acceptable. On the Anggun its usually a few mph faster. Its pretty hard to get up to 20mph on the Epik by pedaling because it requires a much more rigorous cadence than I'm comfortable with.

Back