Analog Single Speed Bike recommendations (<20 lbs)? SOLVED + REVIEW

PSm

Region
USA
After 1.5 years of happiness riding a single speed (SS) relatively lightweight e-bike (Ride1UP Roadster v2, -33 lbs before adding accessories), now looking at getting an analog SS. Have gotten a lot stronger riding the e-bike SS.

Anyone with real-world experience or suggestions on what is out there, as much under 20 lbs as possible without being super expensive? Single speeds are so much fun, and require little maintenance.

And thoughts about gearing? For me to be able to climb hills and steeper sections, thinking a 48x18 gear or something similar is needed? So far, State Street Bikes are intriguing, with a Black Label 6061 framed carbon fork SS at 17-18 lbs for under $1000. Not sure about quality of build though.

Last edited:
Taj Fairdale BMX bike. I had the 26" version, I believe they only do a 27.5 now. Anyways it's fast, comfortable and bullet proof. Under $600 now if I recall. I paid just under $500 for mine new.

Reactions: PSm
Ditto to you on I wanting a SS analog. Getting under 20# is a little challenge. Low 20's a little easier. Fuji Featherweight at 22#'s I believe, 3 Priority's (Ace Spades - 22#, Ace Clubs - 24#'s and the Sauce - 25#'s, all belt drives) and Fairdale, in addition to Taj, has the Express - ? on weight but a pretty simple bike. Fuji and Fairdale have LBS support. Priority does have some LBS's they work with. I looked at the State Street Black. I too was concerned on the build quality though I liked the weight.
On single speeds I actually prefer a chain as it's so much easier and less expensive to change out rear cogs as needed. But in the end I went with the Sauce as I wanted something for conditioning AND to run light but "rooty" single tracks. Tubeless ready and one can add a fairly decent front air suspension fork. Changed out the 27.5/2.25 tires to 650B/42 Gravelkings (the 2.25's had too much resistance for pavement plus saved a # with 650/42's). So for late fall/winter/early spring conditioning it's the GravelkIngs and the stock 46/22 setup. Summer for trails its back to a larger tire and a 46/28 setup and MAYBE a front fork. Everything interchangeable easily. Fun play bike.
All of the above bikes are below $1K.
Now one can also look for a decent geared bike and convert to a SS fairly simply.
For me the 46/22 is fine until I hit any grade (though the tire change is a big deal), so the 46/18 ratio may be a hill challenge but while I think I'm a fairly strong rider I'm not in your league. So maybe no big deal for you.

Taj Fairdale BMX bike. I had the 26" version, I believe they only do a 27.5 now. Anyways it's fast, comfortable and bullet proof. Under $600 now if I recall. I paid just under $500 for mine new.
Nice looking bike, but couldn’t find any weight info.

Ditto to you on I wanting a SS analog. Getting under 20# is a little challenge. Low 20's a little easier. Fuji Featherweight at 22#'s I believe, 3 Priority's (Ace Spades - 22#, Ace Clubs - 24#'s and the Sauce - 25#'s, all belt drives) and Fairdale, in addition to Taj, has the Express - ? on weight but a pretty simple bike. Fuji and Fairdale have LBS support. Priority does have some LBS's they work with. I looked at the State Street Black. I too was concerned on the build quality though I liked the weight.
On single speeds I actually prefer a chain as it's so much easier and less expensive to change out rear cogs as needed. But in the end I went with the Sauce as I wanted something for conditioning AND to run light but "rooty" single tracks. Tubeless ready and one can add a fairly decent front air suspension fork. Changed out the 27.5/2.25 tires to 650B/42 Gravelkings (the 2.25's had too much resistance for pavement plus saved a # with 650/42's). So for late fall/winter/early spring conditioning it's the GravelkIngs and the stock 46/22 setup. Summer for trails its back to a larger tire and a 46/28 setup and MAYBE a front fork. Everything interchangeable easily. Fun play bike.
All of the above bikes are below $1K.
Now one can also look for a decent geared bike and convert to a SS fairly simply.
For me the 46/22 is fine until I hit any grade (though the tire change is a big deal), so the 46/18 ratio may be a hill challenge but while I think I'm a fairly strong rider I'm not in your league. So maybe no big deal for you.
Very detailed reply, thanks. Need to find a LBS that has any of these, since I’m really unsure on the gearing, and would like to see how it feels. I prefer belt drives, but as you mention having a chain will help with cog swaps. Figure it might take some experimenting, based on local hills.

For my use case, I’d be road riding only, and first thing I’d change would be to put on Continental Grand Prix 5000 tires in 28mm. Finding them to have very low RR, and feel great at speed. on descents, flat out sprinting, and climbing, on relatively smooth roads.

And hadn’t thought about a geared bike conversion, figuring it would be difficult. But may need to consider, for the desired low weight. In that case, a light road bike with a good frame and fork, and low end components (since I’d remove them)?

Cannondale BadBoy 1. Might badly surprise you with the price. Will not disappoint you with the weight. Belt drive is a bonus.

You @PSm are looking for a SS. Do you you believe an SS will forgive you the inclines? :)

Cannondale BadBoy 1. Might badly surprise you with the price. Will not disappoint you with the weight. Belt drive is a bonus.

You @PSm are looking for a SS. Do you you believe an SS will forgive you the inclines?
Ha! I know, the hills might crush me. But, I love a challenge. And that’s why I want a very light bike, so I might have a chance.

Ha! I know, the hills might crush me. But, I love a challenge. And that’s why I want a very light bike, so I might have a chance.
Bad Boy is extremely lightweight. Expensive.
A user from long time ago named "Powerfly Lee formerly known as Cheetah Lee" left the Forum due to his e-bike accident. After the recovery, he started riding the BadBoy (I know that from his Strava profile) and I fell in love with his traditional bike. Only my health condition makes me unable to ride an unpowered bicycle...

PSM, after I go to the gym I usually jump on the Sauce for a 4-6 mile cardio ride. So today I did that and then followed it up with the same route on my regular Roadster. Here's my input:
1. This was really the 1st time out on the Sauce with the 650/42's vs the 27.5/2.25" tires. BIG difference. If your looking at low resistant 700/23-28 tires it should be even better.
2. The feeling I get with the Sauce vs the Roadster with the 650's is it's somewhere between riding the Roadster with no assist and level 1. Best estimate 75-80% of being in level 1. With 2.25" tires the difference was minimal - maybe 25% easier then the Roadster with no assist. I believe you have your Roadster set at different assist levels. So lower resistant tires, maybe a few #'s lighter, a little lower gearing and you very well may hit a riding experience of a factory set level 1 Roadster.
3. Many of the belt drive SS's come standard with a 46/22 or lower set-up - I.E.: the Cannondale, the Spot Rocker (42/28) and the Sauce.
4. Climbing hills does depend on fitness level, momentum and keeping cadence. Those crazy SS hardtail mtb'ers run 32/18-22 set ups to climb with high cadence/low speed and then just do a lot of coasting down. Don't even want to think about fixies!!!
5. The Cannondale (nice bike) is 27+ lbs I believe.

I really get a kick out of SS's. So simple and you really need to plan ahead. Remember SS's actually have 3 gears - set, stand, walk.

Last edited:
PSM, after I go to the gym I usually jump on the Sauce for a 4-6 mile cardio ride. So today I did that and then followed it up with the same route on my regular Roadster. Here's my input:
1. This was really the 1st time out on the Sauce with the 650/42's vs the 27.5/2.25" tires. BIG difference. If your looking at low resistant 700/23-28 tires it should be even better.
2. The feeling I get with the Sauce vs the Roadster with the 650's is it's somewhere between riding the Roadster with no assist and level 1. Best estimate 75-80% of being in level 1. With 2.25" tires the difference was minimal - maybe 25% easier then the Roadster with no assist. I believe you have your Roadster set at different assist levels. So lower resistant tires, maybe a few #'s lighter, a little lower gearing and you very well may hit a riding experience of a factory set level 1 Roadster.
3. Many of the belt drive SS's come standard with 46/22 set-up - I.E.: the Cannondale, the Spot Rocker and the Sauce.
4. Climbing hills does depend on fitness level, momentum and keeping cadence. Those crazy SS hardtail mtb'ers run 32/18-22 set ups to climb with high cadence/low speed and then just do a lot of coasting down. Don't even want to think about fixies!!!
5. The Cannondale (nice bike) is 27+ lbs I believe.

I really get a kick out of SS's. So simple and you really need to plan ahead. Remember SS's actually have 3 gears - set, stand, walk.
OrTrek - That’s an excellent comparison, especially with my Roadster. Based on your experience, this might be do-able.

Yes, I tweaked the Roadster PAS1 level to provide 20 watts assist. I bump that up to 100-150 watts assist when trying to keep up with the fast club riders going 20-25 mph, but I’m spun out at 100+ RPM by then, so they leave me behind when they’re 25+ on the flats. 120 RPM is just ridiculous to get to 30 mph, a no go. I typically ride 80-100 RPM on the flats, though for downhill, where I’m spun out anyway, and get in an aero tuck. My guess is that stock PAS1 is about 60-80 watts assistance, but that’s just a seat of the pants guess.

Unless there are other sub 20 lb bikes out there, I might take a leap and try the State Black Label. With an analog bike with no assist, will have to choose the gearing carefully. Balanced between hill climbing, and spinning out too soon at too slow a speed. Having a 48x18 might be enough of a step down from the Roadster 64x20 gearing.

And LOL about the three positions, sit stand and walk ;)
A4CD2F40-7DC1-4049-B5EB-0FE3CF580796.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a Cannondale Badboy about 18 years ago. One afternoon I rode up to my local pub. A couple of guys were out front smoking. After I parked, one of those guys walked up to me and asked if he could lift my bike. I said sure, and after he picked up my bike, which he said was pretty light, he invited me to pick up his bike. His bike had those two top tubes arcing over and looked like some old Schwinn. It was much, much lighter than my lightweight Badboy. He told me he was an ex-bicycle racer, and a friend he knew had built the frame.
I now have a 30 buck used Cannondale Cad 5 roadbike that's hanging on the wall, that bike, at 15 lbs. is about what his bike weighed.

Oh thanks you got me looking at the Black 6061 again PSm :D . But now looking closer, I see it is a fixie with a flip flop option to make it a single speed. You can add the free wheel option for 20 bucks. In the picture it doesn't have brakes but in the description it says rim brakes. The 17#'s I don't believe include the brakes weight. So are the brakes indeed included on the bike, fixie or not?

Just some questions to ask them - maybe you already have.

I think the reputation of State is they do good frames. The components and their QC can be iffy.

Can I find room in my garage for another bike, hmm ;) That State 6061 Black Label, or Undefeated, look really nice. About 17.5 or 16.5 lbs, but brakes might add about 1 lb. Spoke to a bike shop, and it looks like they are customizable (depending on the shop you get the bike from) for fixed gear track, freewheel, cog teeth number, brakes yes or no, etc.

Tried an experiment with the Roadster, and took off the saddle bag, tools, external battery, didn’t carry much food or water, to lighten as much as possible. Did 21 miles, 1400 ft elevation gain, 14 mph average and kept motor off for maybe 95% of the ride, but used assist for the last hills to get home. Had 83% battery left. Great workout, and the e-bike saved my knees at the end. But, but… that State bike is sweet!
36E69EDC-7ED9-43A5-85B9-DD579EC4D9A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Still trying to convince myself to get an analog SS.

Did same ride with Roadster v2:
21 miles, 1400 ft elevation gain
1) bike stripped weight to ~35 lbs:
motor off for all but ~1 mile, when grade over 8%: 14.0 mph, 2 wh per mile
2) bike fully loaded with tools, tubes, 64oz of water, extra food, kickstand, extra clothes and more to ~48 lbs:
motor assist set to 100 watts, 14.7 mph, 5 wh per mile

Conclusion: weight matters. And, an analog bike <20 lbs would have to a blast to ride, being ~15-20 lbs lighter than my Roadster.

Still trying to convince myself to get an analog SS.

Did same ride with Roadster v2:
21 miles, 1400 ft elevation gain
1) bike stripped weight to ~35 lbs:
motor off for all but ~1 mile, when grade over 8%: 14.0 mph, 2 wh per mile
2) bike fully loaded with tools, tubes, 64oz of water, extra food, kickstand, extra clothes and more to ~48 lbs:
motor assist set to 100 watts, 14.7 mph, 5 wh per mile

Conclusion: weight matters. And, an analog bike <20 lbs would have to a blast to ride, being ~15-20 lbs lighter than my Roadster.
how about a fixie s-works aethos?

what a cool project! but it’s surprisingly heavy, half a pound heavier than my 2x12 aethos with electronic shifting etc!

and yes. weight matters in terms of time hugely for rides with hill, and hugely in terms of enjoyment for many, many kinds of rides. i find it hard to get quite as excited about riding my creo (28lb) now that i spend most of my time on a 14lb bike. different tools for different jobs for sure, but when the bike is so light as to be a tiny fraction of your weight, the experience changes.

I. Did. It. New owner of a State Bicycle Black Label Single Speed in white/black. Under 18 lbs, and so simple and minimalist. Great deal coming in under $800.

Did my first 20 mile ride, and sort of feels similar to riding my Ride1UP Roadster v2 with no or ~20 to 40 watts assist. Of course, not having an electric motor makes hills with higher grades a real challenge. But that’s okay, since that’s why I got it!

Now need to customize and fit, to dial it in. Replacing pedals to wider flats, swapping out with better seat, adding suspension seat post, adding adjustable stem to elevate handlebar position, adding bullhorn ends, going to see if my Continental Grand Prix 5000 tires in 30mm will fit (it comes with 23c). Have a 48 tooth front chainring, and a 17t rear cog freewheel currently. Need to see if that will work in the long-term, or need a 18t or 19t, for the bigger hills!

FINAL SET-UP & REVIEW
Love this bike! Inexpensive and great for the type of biking I enjoy. Final set-up and a review, after 200 miles. Haven’t had a lot of time to ride, but have done 20 mile, several 40 mile and a 60 mile ride. Lots of climbing, to decide on gearing for the long term.

Upgrades/Mods:
Continental Grand Prix 5000, 28mm tires
RideNow TPU 35 gram tubes
3/32” KMC X8.93 chain
Wabi Cycles 47 tooth 3/32” chainring (47t is what was available and in-stock)
White Industries Dos Eno 17t/19t freewheel
Suspension Seatpost
Adjustable Stem
New Saddle
Bullhorn Bar Ends
Tektro R315 Rear Caliper Brake (for clearance adjustability for chain/freewheel)
Crank Brothers Stamp 1 flat pedals

I learned that track bikes come with 1/8” chains and chainrings and freewheel, and I needed to change several parts to 3/32” chain compatible parts, in order to use the White Industries dual freewheel. Always learning something!

Decided on using the 47x17 gear for majority of riding, and will only switch to the 47x19 for major hill/mountain climbs. Having the dual rear freewheel will allow me to do a “manual” gear change on the road. Unique capability for a “single-speed” bike, and for me worth the expense.

Awesome bike, fast, light, responsive, and affordable.

If you already have a SS analog bike, should you upgrade? Not necessarily, unless you are doing really extended rides and hill climbing. But if you have a really heavy bike, it might be worth it. Otherwise, just changing tires and tubes, and ensuring you have the right fit and gearing might be all you need.

State Bicycle Black Label is Highly recommended!
p.s. ~ 8kg (18 lbs) stock, ~ 20 lbs with accessories, tools, etc

36C7099C-3A70-4394-A57E-9725C2ED8A12.jpeg

p.s.

Last edited:
Nice choice! Did you consider the Wu-Tang Clan Edition at all? But seriously, that white is classy. Wish my fat butt could huff a conventional bicycle around but I'd probably pass out when encountering a hill!

Ha! I did look at the Wu Tan Clan edition, with black paint and yellow highlights. But that costs more, the white does look classy, and I even just got white water bottle cages to match. ;)

Back