An ebike to carry up and down stairs?

JPatts

Hello new user here! My 01' Subaru has way too many problems to fix so I'm looking into ebikes as my main mode of transportation. I've been doing some research and I really like the idea of getting a Lectric XP but it's 63 lbs and I live in an upstairs apartment and I'm not too sure if I want to be lifting that up and down stairs every time I ride. Other bikes I've looked at are the Wing bikes, I like their sleek design and they are 40lbs, the only thing I don't like about them is the U shaped handlebars, I also like how the Lectric XP is significantly cheaper. I live in an Urban area with some hills here and there. I'm no too concerned about range, just about every where I'll be riding will be within 10 miles of my place so 25-30 mile range would be just fine. Any bikes you would recommend?

You'll have to tell us what kind of weight you would feel comfortable with. Handlebars are very easy to replace. You'll be doing a lot of low PAS riding to hit 30 miles on a small battery/lightweight eBike.

E-bikes with a throttle or those with "walk mode" make it fairly easy to power the bike up stairs while you walk beside it. It takes a little practice and you need to keep one hand on a brake lever for safety but it beats carrying a bike up stairs.

Hello new user here! My 01' Subaru has way too many problems to fix so I'm looking into ebikes as my main mode of transportation. I've been doing some research and I really like the idea of getting a Lectric XP but it's 63 lbs and I live in an upstairs apartment and I'm not too sure if I want to be lifting that up and down stairs every time I ride. Other bikes I've looked at are the Wing bikes, I like their sleek design and they are 40lbs, the only thing I don't like about them is the U shaped handlebars, I also like how the Lectric XP is significantly cheaper. I live in an Urban area with some hills here and there. I'm no too concerned about range, just about every where I'll be riding will be within 10 miles of my place so 25-30 mile range would be just fine. Any bikes you would recommend?

Take a look at the EBR folding bike categories on the Best Electric Bikes of 2020

Looking for the best electric bikes of 2020? As of today, we have reviewed 1058 electric bicycles. EBR conducts the industry’s most complete and objective reviews.
Reviewing electric bikes is all we do. Since 2012, we have helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget.

Table of Contents:

Check out the Qualisports Nemo, its a pretty cool 16' folder that is 900 bucks and 30 pounds with the battery. It has the battery built into the seat post for a pretty unique look.

I had a Qualisports Dolphin before and I really liked it, before it got stolen that is.

EBR actually does a review on this bike, its on the link I put up when you scroll down a little...

What's your budget? The Specialized Vado SL (super light) series starts at ~$3,350 and comes in at ~33lbs. Portland can have some steep hills. These bikes provide 2x your effort with a sophisticated torque-sensing system with gearing that will help with the hills. They're very sleek bikes that are getting very good reviews. Specialized claims a range of up to 120 miles but you'd have to be a pretty strong rider on flatter terrain to achieve that IMO, but your target range shouldn't be an issue.

Hopefully, a local dealer would have one in stock you could test ride.

I don't ride a Vado SL, but I do own a Specialized Vado 5 ebike. Very well designed.

Have you looked at the Biktrix Swift Lite and the Charge City?

Also Propella and R1Up's Voyager V2.

My Allant+7 weighs in at about 48 lbs and does have Walk mode enabled. Even so, there is no way I’d attempt to walk it up a set of stairs unless absolutely necessary.

Check out the Qualisports Nemo, its a pretty cool 16' folder that is 900 bucks and 30 pounds with the battery. It has the battery built into the seat post for a pretty unique look.

I had a Qualisports Dolphin before and I really liked it, before it got stolen that is.

EBR actually does a review on this bike, its on the link I put up when you scroll down a little...
Yeah, I'd say look at the Qualisports bikes as well. Depending on @JPatts height/weight, the Nemo may be a bit small (and I personally think the tires are too small), but the Volador might be a good in-between, and still just under 40lbs.

I have the dolphin but the fact that there's no kind of suspension and can't add a suspension seat post is the reason I'm considering selling the dolphin.

Here is a suspension seat post that will accomodate and fit your needs, I have it on my Lectric and it worked well but IMO made the seat sit up a bit high.

Haha I actually just got mine on Friday the official Rinsten spring unfortunately I hate it. It feels like someone is punchingy taint and I've tried 3-4 different combinations. What numbers do you have yours on?

I've tried 2 top & bottom, 3 top & 2 bottom and some other combos

Haha I actually just got mine on Friday the official Rinsten spring unfortunately I hate it. It feels like someone is punchingy taint and I've tried 3-4 different combinations. What numbers do you have yours on?

I've tried 2 top & bottom, 3 top & 2 bottom and some other combos

Mine is around 3/3, maybe you need a saddle change? I also had to change out the stock saddle on the lectric as it was not doing my behind any favors, I ended up settleing on a memory foam one since I thought the gel ones would be too soft.

Mine is around 3/3, maybe you need a saddle change? I also had to change out the stock saddle on the lectric as it was not doing my behind any favors, I ended up settleing on a memory foam one since I thought the gel ones would be too soft.
I got a generic gel one from Amazon. The saddle feels decent without the spring but still crave that suspension out here in NYC streets.

I've considered selling my qualisports dolphin just to get a bike with more options.
Contemplating the Sinch, Rad Mini or Sondors fold or fold xs

i think I'm just too fat for the rinsten spring. It creates way too much bounce for my 210 6ft frame.

Hey OP, have you found anything yet? I also live upstairs (3rd floor) and wanted something light, but I need more range for my commute. But if you don't need much range and can wait until next month, I think the Ride1Up Roadster V2 is about as light as ebikes get and isn't much more than the Lectric XP at just under $1,000. It's cheaper and lighter than the Wing and doesn't really stick out as an ebike, which could be helpful if you're using it in an urban area. https://ride1up.com/product/roadster-v2/

Back