Ammo can storage

snipechief

Region
USA
City
Piney Flats
Newb ebike dude here. I have a couple of 13ah lithium batteries to maintain on my new bike. My garage is very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. Not the best place to charge or stow batteries. Which leaves me to my radio room where all my electronics and radio (ham) stuff is. I have a large ammo can, and is it safe to store and or charge a battery in this? I don't really have another choice. Is storring a battery inside your home safe.

There is no test data I'm aware of on ammo can storage. Better than nothing I suppose. The news story about the Boeing fire, the battery burned right through the airplane fuselage. What is certain, the financial loss of a house burning down is higher than the loss of a separate garage burning down.
I store my LiIon battery in my garage, which goes below freezing in the winter. In freezing weather I wrap the battery in a back heating pad set on low. My battery is 4 years old and performing well. Warning, a newer heating pad shut off after a fixed time, a couple of hours max. I donated that one after I found the original 2019 pad that never shuts off.
I would suggest a powered roof eve vent fan could cut the internal termperature of a garage in Florida for minimal expense. There are unpowered options that use the lightness of hot air to allow flow. In the south one would not have to go to the trouble of plugging a roof vent in winter. My father in Houston installed a model that allows air to escape from the crack between the boards at the peak of the roof, while protecting against rain entry.

A lithium battery gone bad is not something you want in your home. Ammo cans are a great heavy duty storage bin for all kinds of things. I think they would be fine for storage of batteries but I would not want to charge them in an air tight enclosure. Thank you for your service! I am ex Army and a ham as well.

I'd like to keep the charging station in the garage for safety, but it can get down to -10°F, and near 100°F in the summer. I feel this isn't going to be good for the batteries.
I Have a large ammo can, and I pulled the gasket off. I'm testing inside temperatures presently with a indoor/outdoor digital thermometer. Inside the can I have a small animal heating pad, one that normally goes under a blanket, and it just gets warm. It doesn't get hot. I'll see how it goes. I really want this to work, and to be safe.

I'd like to keep the charging station in the garage for safety, but it can get down to -10°F, and near 100°F in the summer. I feel this isn't going to be good for the batteries.
I Have a large ammo can, and I pulled the gasket off. I'm testing inside temperatures presently with a indoor/outdoor digital thermometer. Inside the can I have a small animal heating pad, one that normally goes under a blanket, and it just gets warm. It doesn't get hot. I'll see how it goes. I really want this to work, and to be safe.
I drilled holes and lined the holes with rubber grommets for wire ports. I added ceramic fabric lining and mounted a smoke detector very close to my basement charging spot. I have welders gloves close by and NEVER charge unattended.

Check out what the BAT-SAFE XL design incorporates.

- Venting through a flame arresting, soot filtering medium. It looks like fiberglass but could be something with a higher temperature rating

- High temperature silicone sealing gasket

- Double wall construction with high temperature insulation

I've added a silicone gasket and rockwool flame arrestor to an ammo can. I keep it on concrete in liu of the double wall construction. Be careful with ceramic fiber. The dust is not safe to breathe.

I've decided to keep my batteries inside out of the cold and heat. When it comes time to charge them, they will be inside the ammo can. (2) 13ah batteries will fit for storage purposes.

Attachments

• 20221011_114307.jpg
    20221011_114307.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 324
  • 20221011_114224.jpg
    20221011_114224.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 332
I've been eyeing a fire resistant cabinet like the one you show above. I'm going to have to re arrange my garage storage to make room for it though. In the mean time, I'm using a pair of these $28, 20mm ammo cans to store & charge batteries.

Instead of using holes with grommets for wiring, I use these XLR panel connectors mounted to the side of the cans.

I store the cans on a concrete floor in a semi heated garage where the temps vary between 55 and 80 degrees. I also have a smoke/fire detector nearby and never charge unattended. When full with 4 batteries, the cans are too heavy to lift easily and I wouldn't try it anyway with one burning inside. I keep a rake handy which I can use to grab the handle of the can and drag it across the concrete floor and out of the garage should it become necessary.

Just how effective these ammo cans are at containing a battery fire is unknown. This isn't a perfect setup but I figure it will reduce my chances of serious damage should a catastrophic incident occur.

Instead of using holes with grommets for wiring, I use these XLR panel connectors mounted to the side of the cans.
Great idea. I just didn’t want to add 4 different connectors or redo my batteries connectors. Silly as it may seem, I have nearly every adapter for my Satiators.

Just how effective these ammo cans are at containing a battery fire is unknown.
There are videos. I think my newest mods with concrete board and ceramic insulation will be effective. I don’t charge more than one at a time.

Great idea. I just didn’t want to add 4 different connectors or redo my batteries connectors. Silly as it may seem, I have nearly every adapter for my Satiators.
I have 3 Satiators which all use the XLR connector. I also have most of the adapters. On one of the ammo cans, I use this bulkhead or panel adapter:

I plug the Satiator connector to the female XLR adapter on the outside of the can and plug the adapter cable I need to the male side of the adapter inside the can. That way, I can charge any of the batteries I have.

I've been eyeing a fire resistant cabinet like the one you show above. I'm going to have to re arrange my garage storage to make room for it though. In the mean time, I'm using a pair of these $28, 20mm ammo cans to store & charge batteries.

I store the cans on a concrete floor in a semi heated garage where the temps vary between 55 and 80 degrees. I also have a smoke/fire detector nearby and never charge unattended. When full with 4 batteries, the cans are too heavy to lift easily and I wouldn't try it anyway with one burning inside. I keep a rake handy which I can use to grab the handle of the can and drag it across the concrete floor and out of the garage should it become necessary.

Just how effective these ammo cans are at containing a battery fire is unknown. This isn't a perfect setup but I figure it will reduce my chances of serious damage should a catastrophic incident occur.
Thanks for the ammo can info. I have a couple Costco metal ammo cans but they are too small for some of my batteries. I wasn't aware of larger cans like for 20mm. Shipping was steep for the ebay cans you linked but I got a "grade 1" surplus can for $45 with free shipping on Amazon.

I have 3 Satiators which all use the XLR connector. I also have most of the adapters. On one of the ammo cans, I use this bulkhead or panel adapter:

I plug the Satiator connector to the female XLR adapter on the outside of the can and plug the adapter cable I need to the male side of the adapter inside the can. That way, I can charge any of the batteries I have.
As always you're incredibly inventive and resourceful! Nice!
I had 3 Satiators too but decided I'd never use the 72V so it was sold.

Thanks for the ammo can info. I have a couple Costco metal ammo cans but they are too small for some of my batteries. I wasn't aware of larger cans like for 20mm. Shipping was steep for the ebay cans you linked but I got a "grade 1" surplus can for $45 with free shipping on Amazon.
Often some of the guns and ammo websites do sales on large cans. With a little patience, $35-$45 will get a nice large can shipped. The only caveat is they may not have been rehabbed and look rough. I pictured two 20Ah triangles on my large can but i'd not ever charge that many cells at once!

The eBay vendor I linked also has a website. The ammo cans above are on sale for $25:

He offers free shipping on many items but unfortunately, these ammo cans are too heavy to qualify.

Shipping quote was $36 for my area, not free. Much less expensive for me on Amazon.
Thanks for the heads up

Often some of the guns and ammo websites do sales on large cans. With a little patience, $35-$45 will get a nice large can shipped. The only caveat is they may not have been rehabbed and look rough. I pictured two 20Ah triangles on my large can but i'd not ever charge that many cells at once!
The 20mm ammo can on Amazon is advertised as "grade 1" which supposedly means "Grade 1 ammo cans will have little to no exterior surface rust or blemishes. Corrosion is very minor, and limited to the contact points or pivot points on the cans if any corrosion exists at all. The interior of the cans are also free of corrosion and the seals are in new condition". A review indicates his was in unused condition. $45 shipped from Amazon seller with free shipping (for a 20 pound can) sounds like an OK deal then. I'm just going to use it for storage and not for my Yamaha batteries. Just for the cheap batteries.

Back