Amish Country Ebiking

JedidiahStolzfus

Region
USA
City
Lancaster, PA
A couple months ago I started looking for an Ebike, price of fuel, and upkeep on vehicles was a big part of it. I wanted a cargo bike so that I could take it grocery shopping (including Costco), going to farmer's markets and taking it work. Grocery store is only 2 miles, the farmer's market is about 6, and Costco is 6. Work is 10.5 miles. Originally looked at the Radio Flyer but then settled on the RadRunner 2. It was on sale at the time, but with all the accessories I ordered total came to $1650.

GCKNRW.jpg

I ordered a trailer to go with it, since my normal shopping trips would fit easily in it.
ZSeT4F.jpg

First trip I found that the nylon bag the trailer came with wasn't going work when a melon rolled over and pushed it into the wheel quickly ripping a whole. I 3D printed some brackets to slip over the uprights so that I could attach some black acrylic I had laying around. I then wrapped the tubes at the top in Armaflex pipe insulation and wrapped that in hockey tape.
CfGrwU.jpg

It fits perfectly in the back of fullsize Ford Transit vans, as I take it with me.
s9g19X.jpg

I put together this box to hold an inverter and my charger as well as a 12v accessory port and USB charging ports.
3hBcT2.jpg

nsUcD5.jpg

After a couple hundred miles I decided that I didn't really like the stock controller and upgraded it to the 35A controller with the color display. I also added a Garmin 520plus.
kKWqwi.jpg

Ordered the pet carrier so my puppy can go on rides.
5r0wLH.jpg

The rear basket is normally meant to mount across the bike, I didn't like that so I designed and 3D printed some brackets so it could be mounted in line. Also found these two parts to protect the battery terminals.
1urOZi.jpg

JfzJHP.jpg

I also have a horn/alarm mounted to it. It's saved me a couple of times so far.
xqOiTj.jpg

I have a set of turn signals coming in this week, which I'll probably have to 3D print some better mounts since they're meant to be held on with bands. Pictures will follow. So far, I have about 400 miles on the bike and enjoy is a lot. I ride a few miles every day. I'll post some video of places I ride in the pictures thread later.

Couple other things, I have an Abus lock mounted to the frame, and I carry a cable in a bag under the rear basket.
HUcBkK.jpg

With the basket mounted, it throws off the balance when it's on the stand. It tilts to the rear allowing the forks to spin around. This kept knocking the headlight crooked. I made a plate that fits onto the front basket mounts and mounted the headlight there instead.
BUF8cd.jpg

Had to take the car into the shop, I really need a rack that can hold this things.
smvVeC.jpg

Wow, a lot of nice upgrades! I'm impressed at anyone who can 3d print custom parts that actually work. I got a3d printer several years ago but i could never get the filament flowing smoothly so i gave up (after much time and energy and frustration).
Which part of Amish country are you in? I spent several years of childhood in Lancaster pa, back in the 90s. I don't live there anymore but i can imagine how much fun ebiking would be around there!

Most of my encounters with cars has been at turns. I love this bike, but it just doesn't feel that stable taking one hand off the bars to signal. So I haven't been signaling unless it's absolutely necessary. Thus the need for turn signals. I've read the arguments, "cars don't expect to see bikes with turn signals so they won't pay attention". Honestly, I've found that many cars are paying attention, and they are being polite to bikes, well, at least to me. I ride with my headlight and taillights on. I stay out of the middle of lane and try to make my intentions clear. Regardless, I still wanted turn signals, I've almost gotten hit 3 times in the past few days at the same intersection. Signaling by hand is near impossible due to the nature of the road.

I did have to flip my horn around so the signal could be seen.
i0JZri.jpg

These lights do have 4way mode, as well as a blinking red light mode, which I probably won't ever use.
5SBWpP.jpg

I had to move my control buttons to the right because the controls for the signals were too wide and it pushed them beyond my thumb's reach. I ended up wrapping my horn button around the mirror mount, and that works well as it had been sliding around, now it stays put.
usdSJY.jpg

These are the ones I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0972G7SYH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details They do come by other "brands", which I'm sure is just the reseller and they're all made in the same factory. I have a helmet that has turn signals as well, but I've found the EMI from the bike has a tendency to interfere with the communications between the control and the helmet making them useless. Besides, I like the idea of having them on the front because most encounters have been from the front.

Pickup a GoPro Hero 4 Session from a fellow Ebiker on monday. Just got it mounted on a pivoting mount. While it's parked, I can turn the camera around to watch the bike.

2QQZFR.jpg

I live on the gulf coast. I have never been to an Amish area until a few months ago. My daughter got a job and we helped her move to Ohio. We have been avid pedal bikers all of our lives. Our bikes go everywhere we go. I have never been exposed to ebikes before. Don't know anyone with one. Never really paid attention to any I may have passed by. But EVERYONE was either riding an ebike or horse and buggies. Ebikes were out and about by the thousands.

Certainly peaked my interest. So begins my journey to learn more

I live on the gulf coast. I have never been to an Amish area until a few months ago. My daughter got a job and we helped her move to Ohio. We have been avid pedal bikers all of our lives. Our bikes go everywhere we go. I have never been exposed to ebikes before. Don't know anyone with one. Never really paid attention to any I may have passed by. But EVERYONE was either riding an ebike or horse and buggies. Ebikes were out and about by the thousands.

Certainly peaked my interest. So begins my journey to learn more
Holmes County Ohio maybe? Near Mount Hope?

Don't know the area at all, but Mt Vernon
Ok, that's to the southwest of where I normally go out near Millersburg and a little north of that is Mount Hope where there's a big auction center. I was out there last year during "Progress days" which is a big horse event. I saw about 30 ebikes parked along a fence, not a single one was chained. The Amish and the Mennonites have adopted Ebikes in big numbers because it's so hilly in that area. Saves wear on the horses

Wonderful upgrades and thank you for sharing!! I am impressed with your 3D printing and engineering skills as well!! My wife and I were just in the Lancaster area recently. We are full time RV and were at Gettysburg, Mannheim, Elizabethtown for the Hershey RV Show, and up in Stroudsburg too. A couple visits to Miller’s Smorgasbord and a visit to Sight and Sound to see David too. I rode the bike trail from Mannheim up to Lebanon as well. Such a beautiful area! We also had to go to the Railroad museum in Strasburg as I am a huge Pennsy rail fan too.

Wonderful upgrades and thank you for sharing!! I am impressed with your 3D printing and engineering skills as well!! My wife and I were just in the Lancaster area recently. We are full time RV and were at Gettysburg, Mannheim, Elizabethtown for the Hershey RV Show, and up in Stroudsburg too. A couple visits to Miller’s Smorgasbord and a visit to Sight and Sound to see David too. I rode the bike trail from Mannheim up to Lebanon as well. Such a beautiful area! We also had to go to the Railroad museum in Strasburg as I am a huge Pennsy rail fan too.
I've ridden that trail, if you come back, you want to ride the Enola Low Grade trail. I think it's 42 miles one way. Runs from Christiana to Conestoga.

Also if you come back, right near Sight and Sound is an Amish butcher, Rocky Ridge Meats. They have some of the best sausage I've ever had and it's cheap.

Thanks for the advice on those for sure! I am sure we will be back as we love the area. Much appreciated!

Hi;
I like your setup especially how perfectly your bike fits in the van.
Did you mention what type of trailer you are running?
And, the attachments to the bike for the trailer, are they modified to fit?

Hi;
I like your setup especially how perfectly your bike fits in the van.
Did you mention what type of trailer you are running?
And, the attachments to the bike for the trailer, are they modified to fit?
This trailer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085VX54GG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The only modification was to the hitch part, I had to drill it out a bit to fit the axle. That part was also recessed for the axle nut to fit into, but the original nut had a flange on it. I didn't want to try to find the correct nut, but a lock washer fit perfectly into the recess and the flange nut fit perfectly over it. The trailer isn't able to torque the hitch loose with it that way.

Less is more. Zen is so much harder and so much worth it. Getting to less. Who has the most limited and clean handlebar? What does a clean eBike look like and feel like, being simple. This is what simple eBikes look like when they surpass the ones from stores.

Attachments

• R18Disc5.jpg
    R18Disc5.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 170
Less is more. Zen is so much harder and so much worth it. Getting to less. Who has the most limited and clean handlebar? What does a clean eBike look like and feel like, being simple. This is what simple eBikes look like when they surpass the ones from stores.
That's nice, but I'm not really into zen or feng shui. Here's a preview of what's next.
BkK2mV.jpg

lfgsQ4.jpg

This model is out on Thingiverse. I modified it to print on my printer, because it's a little too long, so it's split in two pieces and fits together like puzzle pieces. They'll be two strips of aluminum attached to the bottom for extra strength and rigidity. It'll mount on the water bottle mounts. When I public the modded file to Thingiverse, it'll be in two formats, one that's split and one that's whole. Third prototype is printing right now, should be done by morning.

It's now mostly done. I went with 3/16" mild steel instead of aluminum because I felt the aluminum might bend too easily with all the weight. I'm going to paint the steel before final mounting. The bolts holding the 3D printed parts to the metal aren't right, but the correct ones are showing up today. It seems sturdy enough, but the test will be riding with it. Sadly, I don't have an extra battery yet so I can't test it until I do.

m9JmXn.jpg

anBFVo.jpg

ymaTJb.jpg

bjBRhB.jpg

This version of the model took about 9 hours to print doing 1.5mm layers. It will be available on Thingiverse later. There will be a second version of it available as all one piece for those with larger printers.

Back