Allant 9.9 Noise

the shoester

Region
USA
I have an Allant 9.9s. I have approximately six hundred miles on it . I has developed a (plastic) sounding scraping noise that is in cadence with every down stroke of each pedal. I happens only under a torque load and only with the motor engaged. The higher the toque load the louder the noise. The higher the assist level the louder the noise. No noise when coasting. The noise seems to be coming from the motor which would make sense as the noise is only there with the assist turned on. It is possible the noise may be coming from the micro hub in the rear but it sure does'nt seem that way. At first this noise was intermittent. I would hear it for a minute or two then it would disappear for the rest of the ride and sometime not return for several rides or weeks. I took it in to my LBS and they couldn't duplicate the noise. Now less than a year later the noise has returned and is continuous on every ride. My LBS still is saying they can't duplicate the sound. I am now waiting on the next step since I informed them they must actually ride the bike to hear the sound. Anyone experience this noise and if so what was the final solution. My LBS seems to be clueless on E-bikes.

I hate when weird noises happen.
A couple very unusual thoughts
- Seatpost. I’ve heard of seatposts making various weird noises while pedaling. Try a little lubricant on the post.
- Record the noise. Only if this can be done safely! Make a recording on your phone, video or audio. It might help the lbs diagnose the problem. And you won’t look like you’re crazy!
Yes, these are weird suggestions for a weird problem. 🤪

I hate when weird noises happen.
A couple very unusual thoughts
- Seatpost. I’ve heard of seatposts making various weird noises while pedaling. Try a little lubricant on the post.
- Record the noise. Only if this can be done safely! Make a recording on your phone, video or audio. It might help the lbs diagnose the problem. And you won’t look like you’re crazy!
Yes, these are weird suggestions for a weird problem. 🤪
Quite recently I rode my Vado against a strong side-wind on two consecutive days. On each ot those rides, I could hear a rhythmical noise from the motor chamber as I was pedalling. "Uh, oh" -- I thought to myself -- "It seems I will need to order the motor replacement soon!" Later, it turned out it was the front fender vibrating :)

I have the same bike and get the same clicking noise and interestingly mine is coming from the way my right foot is positioned on the pedal - when I change the angle of my right foot on the pedal, the clicking noise disappears. Weird I know, but that's my experience on my 9.9s.

Back