Alation Mid Drive review?

Adora

I would love to read an unbiased review of this product. It seems to have a lot going for it. Anybody here have one of these? Thanks.

I emailed the company and had a response within a few hours (other manufactures haven't bothered to respond at all, especially where I've asked for user manuals) ... Anyway, this from Joe: "oursystem - though identical in style and general operation - is rated at 350w and 18 amps (versus 250w and 15a listed in the manual)."

I am not sure what he means by 18 amps? I am going to ask Joe if it's possible to upgrade --and/or if the Alation 500 would suit my needs as well as or better than the mid-drive.

I do have some srious elevations of 1-3000ft. I might hav to go with a mor xpnsive mountain bike, but I'd like my introduction to be well, affordable.

Adora, woman veteran --wannbe e-powered asap ;-)

Volton's user manual cites their Bafang as "BDSO1" --but the Bafang mid-drive I'd read about here and elsewhere cite the Bafang "BBSO1" ...

does that mean the BDSO1 is "generic"??

I emailed the company and had a response within a few hours (other manufactures haven't bothered to respond at all, especially where I've asked for user manuals) ... Anyway, this from Joe: "oursystem - though identical in style and general operation - is rated at 350w and 18 amps (versus 250w and 15a listed in the manual)."

I'm pretty good with the whole amps/volts/watts thing and I don't get those numbers to pencil out at all.

I'm pretty good with the whole amps/volts/watts thing and I don't get those numbers to pencil out at all.

Brian, I agree with you --and I quoted him directly. Hmmm, I will send another email and ask him to be very clear with me. The numbers are feeling slippery to me, if only because they're changing daily with the new and improved versions ...

Last edited:

I am not sure what he means by 18 amps? I am going to ask Joe if it's possible to upgrade --and/or if the Alation 500 would suit my needs as well as or better than the mid-drive.

I do have some srious elevations of 1-3000ft. I might hav to go with a mor xpnsive mountain bike, but I'd like my introduction to be well, affordable.

Serious elevations call for at least a 48V, 500 watt geared rear hub motor and matching (bigger the better) battery. Look here for lots more info on ebike builds: http://www.electricbike.com/category/build/diy/

Calvin, I think you're right --about needing more voltage and wattage; I'd like to have a lot more than these turn-key products are offering. On the other hand, if I bought a high quality, very light mountain bike with a reasonable amount of gear torque, and did most of the peddling myself, I might be able to extend the range ... As it is, I don't see how these current, cunsumer e-bike products could serve a country person who's nearest urban center is maybe 20 miles, one-way. I'm just not seeing the range potential on anything but a custom build.

Coupe of quick comments.The power on a Mid drive does not have to equal the power of a DD hub to match hill climbing and top speed since it use the gears to as part of the drive train A non professional guess is a 350 will out climb a 500 and could be as fast. My current consumer bike has pretty good range when I carry 2 extra batteries in the panniers, close to 100 miles, more if I were in Fl (flat). I would bet that the BDSO is really a Bafang

Mark

Thank you Mark. Today, I spoke with (the only) 3 local Bike Shops: one shop said they would instal and service BionX only, the other shop was willing to sservice anything that came into his shop but wasn't convinced yet that e-bikes are a stable market at this point in time. Not one of the 3 had heard about Bafang. This is a VERY big Mountain bike area, Nevada City, CA hosts numerous national bike races.

Thank you Mark. Today, I spoke with (the only) 3 local Bike Shops: one shop said they would instal and service BionX only, the other shop was willing to sservice anything that came into his shop but wasn't convinced yet that e-bikes are a stable market at this point in time. Not one of the 3 had heard about Bafang. This is a VERY big Mountain bike area, Nevada City, CA hosts numerous national bike races.

There's a pretty good ebike dealer of Bafang in AZ.. Called Lectric Cycles.. Waiting for their store to open in South Florida. They answer the phone!

http://lectriccycles.com

Thank you JoePah for that info. I have been emailing Joe from Volton, super nice guy ... Told me they were selling out fast on the mid-drive, but they would be building more in September. I told him I had time, could wait --also asked him if he had any plans to build a mid-drive Cargo bike, hasn't got back to me on that one. I think they'd do a good job. I haven't seen any Cargo bikes I like yet. Anyway, thanks again. Sill learning and undecided but getting closer and closer ;-)

Back