Aging (not for the feint of heart).......

Pine_marten

Region
USA
40 years ago i herniated a disk doing a stupid strongman move of lifting a heavy rototiller out of the back of the station wagon (remeber those)? That injury flares up regularly and i need valium to ease the muscle spasms. About 10 years back i was diagnosed with Multi Focal Motor Neuropathy and had nearly lost the use of my hands until regular human immune globulin infusions restored me almost completely. Then last fall i had a stroke that damaged a good part of the right side of my brain. Recovered from that nicely until early May when i had a siezure while driving alone. Somehow i wound up on the side of the road without hitting anything. Had another seizure in the ER where an MRI showed a compression fracture of the L1 vertebrae. I have been mostly wearing a brace since then and seemingly my back is healing well. So i am not allowed to drive a car ( or my adventure motorcycle) until early August sans additional seizures. So i built an E bike to regain some freedom.

I quickly put a more comfortable sadle on, Selle Royal and a Thudbuster LT post, big clubby thing but works nicely. Wednesday i put 15 miles on without ill effects. Doing the build was somewhat hard on my back but that has passed. I feel quite fortunate inspite of all this and the new e bike promisises to help keep me fit and active ( at least in the summer months).

Now i wish i would have bought a step through frame ( the stupid manly thing again) but otherwise i am very happy with my build.

Attachments

• 20220608_093027.jpg
    20220608_093027.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
At age 77 I tested a couple of high and mid step e-bike. I realized that the way I had mounted my analog bike (carbon fiber, about 18 pounds), where I tipped it over, wasn't going to work. Fortunately, my "matchmaker" at Propel offered me a chance to try the bike she was on, a Nevo 3 step through. I admit that at some point the division of boys' and girls' bikes had been implanted in my young brain, but once I tried the step through, that thought quickly faded. I love the bike and the step through design works so well for me. As our population ages, I think we'll see many more step throughs, as evidenced by a thread on this site.

Whatever it takes to get you off your butt!

A lifetime Michigan resident and very active messing with quads, snowmobiles, and motorcycles (of all types and sizes) most of that lifetime. We had a second home in the northern lower, located to allow us to play with the toys right from the house without bothering anyone. What I found as I cleared the 60 year old mark, is that the cold weather and snow became more of a factor than I would ever have believed when I was younger. This got to the point where the appeal of a trip up north to go play was starting to wear pretty thin. Kinda like a party you didn't really want to got to, but you went knowing you would have fun when you got there!

Enter the concept of wintering in warmer weather.....

Even though most of my toys are pretty much banned in most areas of Florida, the trade off for the ability to get outside regularly in the winter time was worth it - ESPECIALLY - after discovering e-bikes! Now, at 71 years old, riding daily, lucky to still have my health and STILL be pretty mobile!

Point being, I consider the sale of the Northern Michigan property and the purchase of property in Florida as big factor in how long I'm going to be around....

Whatever it takes to get you off your butt!

A lifetime Michigan resident and very active messing with quads, snowmobiles, and motorcycles (of all types and sizes) most of that lifetime. We had a second home in the northern lower, located to allow us to play with the toys right from the house without bothering anyone. What I found as I cleared the 60 year old mark, is that the cold weather and snow became more of a factor than I would ever have believed when I was younger. This got to the point where the appeal of a trip up north to go play was starting to wear pretty thin. Kinda like a party you didn't really want to got to, but you went knowing you would have fun when you got there!

Enter the concept of wintering in warmer weather.....

Even though most of my toys are pretty much banned in most areas of Florida, the trade off for the ability to get outside regularly in the winter time was worth it - ESPECIALLY - after discovering e-bikes! Now, at 71 years old, riding daily, lucky to still have my health and STILL be pretty mobile!

Point being, I consider the sale of the Northern Michigan property and the purchase of property in Florida as big factor in how long I'm going to be around....
You prefer Florida over northern Mi ? We do have long winters, which I enjoy and the best summer weather. Of course ,I loathe hot humid weather and Florida in general.

I'm fortunate and have the best of both worlds: Upstate NY on southern edge of Adirondacks and Ft Pierce FL for 6 weeks after the leaves fall, then back north for snowshoeing and skiing, then back to Florida from mid March (when snow starts getting crappy) to end of May. Had my e-bike in Florida this spring and was glad I had it when the winds were strong every day. Because of my location, I do out and backs, so if it's windy, I'm going to be going into it half the time. Oh, I don't think Florida has many, if any, e-bike restrictions and is developing a good trail network, including a cross Florida one that just has a few unfinished sections.

You prefer Florida over northern Mi ? We do have long winters, which I enjoy and the best summer weather. Of course ,I loathe hot humid weather and Florida in general.
I built a place just east of Gaylord in the early 90's. 1500 sq ft on 10 (high and dry) acres with easy trail access in all directions. Drive through attached garage that was just a hair bigger than the house for the toys. Had the house framed in with shingles and siding installed, then I finished it myself from there (including the garage). I even did all the site improvement prior to the house going up, including a 600' driveway. No near-by neighbors or even a need for window shades! Absolutely loved that place! MANY fond memories.

Still, as mentioned, I got older and the incentive to make the 200 mile (easy 3.5-4 hr.) run from the place here in S.E. MI. became harder and harder to come by. Sure, I miss that place, and all the toys that went along with it, but I don't regret selling it to pay for the place in Florida one bit.

Florida is geared for seniors and we were able to buy when real estate was dirt cheap. Seniors are the rule rather than the exception, with all sorts of things done with them in mind - including lax e-bike rules (ride anywhere a regular bike can without anyone giving you a second look). I can't handle the summer humidity well either, so I'm a snowbird, spending 6 months at each end. A few years into the move, the wife and I have made friends down there, and quite honestly, I have no preference for being at either end. Fat, dumb, and happy at both places!

Florida property has just gone absolutely bonkers, so really glad we made the move when we did. -Al

During around in heaven’s waiting room can be downright scary. It’s bad enough here in Traverse City, which has an aging popularity.
Sitting on your hands for a period while heavy weather clears can be difficult to recover from. The older you are, and the longer you are home bound, the worse it is. Those in the snow belts are finding that out the hard way.

If you go into some of the more "developed" places in Florida (most of the east coast, Orlando, Tampa/St. Pete area and south), yes it can be pretty busy, and sure, there are some older drivers around. Not like the entire state is so "developed" though. Our place is in an area awfully similar to Gaylord. Small town atmosphere, changing seasons, rolling hills, sand, and big pine trees, only here the Gulf is an easy drive (10 miles?). Temps dip to allow frost just a few times each winter, with maybe just one good freeze some winters, but will generally recover well into the 60's or 70's that day. Not enough population to make the occasional senior driver much of a danger. No more so than where you are at anyway. Whatever, we're pretty happy down there. -Al

Sitting on your hands for a period while heavy weather clears can be difficult to recover from. The older you are, and the longer you are home bound, the worse it is. Those in the snow belts are finding that out the hard way.

If you go into some of the more "developed" places in Florida (most of the east coast, Orlando, Tampa/St. Pete area and south), yes it can be pretty busy, and sure, there are some older drivers around. Not like the entire state is so "developed" though. Our place is in an area awfully similar to Gaylord. Small town atmosphere, changing seasons, rolling hills, sand, and big pine trees, only here the Gulf is an easy drive (10 miles?). Temps dip to allow frost just a few times each winter, with maybe just one good freeze some winters, but will generally recover well into the 60's or 70's that day. Not enough population to make the occasional senior driver much of a danger. No more so than where you are at anyway. Whatever, we're pretty happy down there. -Al
Most people enjoy the cold fresh air and are ready for winter in Oct. Lived here my whole life and love it. I agree you have to get outside but there’s plenty to do. TC doesn’t have nearly as hard a winter as Gaylord. Usually 50-60 more inches of snow. Crazy.

At age 77 I tested a couple of high and mid step e-bike. I realized that the way I had mounted my analog bike (carbon fiber, about 18 pounds), where I tipped it over, wasn't going to work. Fortunately, my "matchmaker" at Propel offered me a chance to try the bike she was on, a Nevo 3 step through. I admit that at some point the division of boys' and girls' bikes had been implanted in my young brain, but once I tried the step through, that thought quickly faded. I love the bike and the step through design works so well for me. As our population ages, I think we'll see many more step throughs, as evidenced by a thread on this site.
Had a similar experience at age 74 after 20 years away from cycling. The wife dared me to try a step-through, and that was that.

20221106_201556.jpg

Step-through frames may not be rigid enough for some purposes, but this one seems rigid enough for the pavement and light off-road duty I'm after. The very bottom of the V is too narrow for an adult foot, so might as well put a stiffener there.

My in-laws are in their mid 80's, FIL used to ride his fat tire ebike to his favorite fishing spot about 2 miles from home before the pandemic.
Now 3 years later, both in-laws are afraid to go outdoors, limited mobility, poor balance, weak limbs, low stamina.

I ordered a Lectric XP trike back in FEB 2023, for them to try out; expect to receive it in the next few weeks.
Trike negates the balance issue, hopefully get them out the door to do something they might enjoy and keep going to build up stamina & strength.
Low top speed on the trike is just what they need.
lectric-xp-trike-header2.jpg

My in-laws are in their mid 80's, FIL used to ride his fat tire ebike to his favorite fishing spot about 2 miles from home before the pandemic.
Now 3 years later, both in-laws are afraid to go outdoors, limited mobility, poor balance, weak limbs, low stamina.

I ordered a Lectric XP trike back in FEB 2023, for them to try out; expect to receive it in the next few weeks.
Trike negates the balance issue, hopefully get them out the door to do something they might enjoy and keep going to build up stamina & strength.
Low top speed on the trike is just what they need.
lectric-xp-trike-header2.jpg
Would be very interested to hear your/your in-laws’ findings once they’ve had a chance to try out this bike. Considering getting an electric trike for my mom, who’s 79 years old and in good health, but would like to have a reason to be more active. Trikes seemed safe and logical to me for this purpose; one thing that gave me some pause (not regarding this trike in particular, just in general) is that I read somewhere (perhaps on the forums here) that some folks have found that some trikes can indeed be quite prone to tipping. Not as much as a two wheel, obviously, but more than one might think. I have no direct experience with a trike, so curious to see how your older in-laws find it to be.

The "tipping" instability occurs during cornering, at higher speeds.
As long as a rider is familiar with a trike's limitations, the "tipping" is something that can easily be avoided.
Practice, time spent on saddle can allow a rider to learn how to operate a trike, just as any other vehicle.

Would be very interested to hear your/your in-laws’ findings once they’ve had a chance to try out this bike. Considering getting an electric trike for my mom, who’s 79 years old and in good health, but would like to have a reason to be more active. Trikes seemed safe and logical to me for this purpose; one thing that gave me some pause (not regarding this trike in particular, just in general) is that I read somewhere (perhaps on the forums here) that some folks have found that some trikes can indeed be quite prone to tipping. Not as much as a two wheel, obviously, but more than one might think. I have no direct experience with a trike, so curious to see how your older in-laws find it to be.
No trike expert by any means, but I recently looked into etrikes for a friend with MS. You summed up my understanding of the tipping potential perfectly. Recall reading that etrikes with front hub drives only are especially prone, but vette that.

Just tell your mom no donuts or screaming around corners. You could get a feel for the envelope by lifting a rear wheel to the tipping angle with and without a test pilot onboard. Maybe a test pilot other than your Mom, though.

For higher performance trikes, tadpole trike or long wheel base (LWB) recumbent trike would be more ideal for high-speed stability.

Usually those trikes cost way more than $2K in price, even more with electric motor.

A drawback on the tadpole or recumbent trike is that they are low the the ground,
may be difficult for those who are less flexible to get in & out of the trike, like a sports car.

ICE_adventure_26_with_shimano_steps_fast_track.jpeg

kettwiesel-evo-steps.jpg

Back