Aftermarket Cargo Front Carrier

sammcneill

Region
New Zealand
Happy new year team

Anyone know if you can buy the cargo front carrier as aftermarket accessory ? My SC2 has the standard front rack and would like to explore the bigger one:

1641075649617.png

Thanks in advance

Sam

Yea that’s the one I’ve already got on the bike - I’m looking for their upgraded newer rack that can support 15kg

That is the issue with R&M. If you don't order this item at the time of your order then getting it afterwards is not like you can just go into the store and pick one off the shelf. I had this issue with another accessory that I wanted but my dealer said it was going to be more expensive because of the shipping costs from Germany (rear panniers). I would try contacting Propel bikes (Nick) and see if they might have one in stock. They deal with a lot of R&M bikes. I see you are in New Zealand.

With such a simple 4 bolt attachment, I too would like the option of being able to use a variety of different accessories as per my needs. I ordered the larger of the two front carriers with my (yet to be received) Multicharger. The Roadster has a nice looking optional front carrier that looks like it's just a little smaller than the one R&M sells for the Multicharger.

It seems like a double loss to R&M in my mind in not supporting these after market accessories:

1) lost revenue for R&M
2) lower customer satisfaction / increased frustration that they can’t access first party R&M accessories to customise their rides for more useful scenarios.

I get there are costs associated with manufacturing extra accessories & also logistics but forcing customers to adapt ill fitting third party accessories reduces the overall experience.

We are about to receive back our Toyota Prado 4x4 we loaned to friends for the last 15months. We are decided we don’t need it so likely sell for approx $18,000 I’m guessing.

I’d seriously look at adding another eBike but I’m not certain I’d get a R&M again. I’ve got an eMTB arriving this month (Specialized Turbo Levo Comp) which is purely for play/fun, but a second all purpose eBike to complement my SC2 is something I’d seriously consider but these little “peculiarities” in how R&M do business do give me pause for thought.

FYI - I’ve subsequently found that you CAN buy these aftermarket via R&M dealers but supply is low and they’re only approved for new model Multicharger given weight restrictions so no good for my 2020 SC2.

Cheers
Sam

Wouldn't it be possible to just get a R&M flat carrier and attach a basket?

You could,
just keep in mind the "small" flat carrier R&M provides is rated to a measly 5KG. (11lbs) It'll probably take twice as much but I wouldn't stick a slab of beer on it

You could,
just keep in mind the "small" flat carrier R&M provides is rated to a measly 5KG. (11lbs) It'll probably take twice as much but I wouldn't stick a slab of beer on it
Yeah I’ve definitely put more than 5kg on at various times. Coped fine seemingly

That has to do with the way it's mounted, the newer racks don't turn with the fork and are thus more stable.
Yes, with a fragile looking strut at the bottom.
Would love to be able to put 15kg up front above the forks.
At least i've got the best SuperCharger colour ever - Electric Blue, albeit not a very tough coating.

At least i've got the best SuperCharger colour ever - Electric Blue, albeit not a very tough coating.
it's a great colour. I've got the Matte Curry, which has become the de-facto name for the bike now "Dad, are you taking Matte Curry or the car?" Last weekend I've picked up my new eMTB which the kids have immediately named "Jack Black" after the colour and the actor:

1643922477981.png

So now I'm being asked, "are you taking Matte Curry or Jack Black dad?"

I wish, I wish I could take more than 5Kg on front of Matte Curry (Which, ironically, I do use when picking up take away Indian curry and put on the front rack!)

At first i was very hesitant about the flashy colour & the Riese & Muller logo, always expecting it to disappear.
Don't know about NZ but in Oz ebikes have been getting flogged left right & centre in the last few years.
Touch wood i've still got mine after 3 years. Using a barrage of locks & motion sensors though :)

I'm relatively relaxed in some situations - e.g. if I stop at the petrol station for a cold drink, I'll take the Bosch computer off and leant it against the outside where I cna have eye contact on it all the time, but I've given up locking it there.
Anywhere else I use an alarmed lock.
I'd not do that with the eMTB as there is no way to 'immobilise' it as the on/off button is integrated into the frame.
But yes, eBikes getting nicked a lot here too. I've turned on privacy on Strava too so the 1km around my house is blanked out so strangers could not hunt me down there and know where I live

I'm relatively relaxed in some situations - e.g. if I stop at the petrol station for a cold drink, I'll take the Bosch computer off and leant it against the outside where I cna have eye contact on it all the time, but I've given up locking it there.
Anywhere else I use an alarmed lock.
I'd not do that with the eMTB as there is no way to 'immobilise' it as the on/off button is integrated into the frame.
But yes, eBikes getting nicked a lot here too. I've turned on privacy on Strava too so the 1km around my house is blanked out so strangers could not hunt me down there and know where I live
This. Why advertise that you have something worth stealing, with a map to the bike? It's like a treasure map for thieves .

This. Why advertise that you have something worth stealing, with a map to the bike? It's like a treasure map for thieves .
The flaw in that logic is literally any bike is worth stealing to a bike thief if the opportunity presents itself.

Tom must have meant a carrier from Origin 8. Not sure there are any Walmart stores in NZ tho :)

Back