Add two Drops

crst4s

Region
USA
I ordered 2 Dost Drop bikes in August for October delivery. They finally arrived December 31. Not sure how much of the delay was due to Covid, but I am prepared to give Dost benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, we live in snow country so have been unable to try them out yet.
The bikes are for the wife and I to ride together. I still ride my road and mountain bikes, but we live on top of a mountain. The terrain is too difficult for casual riding and beyond my wife’s capabilities. She is 71 and I am 69. Electric power should allow us both to ride at a similar pace up- and downhill.
My initial impression is that the bikes are well-made with components of decent quality for the price, which was at the upper limit of our budget. Specifications met my requirements with low step over, powerful motor, and a throttle. Assembly was also good and only required handle-bar and ride position set up.
My wife is 5’ 2” and I feel that the Drop is sized right at the limit for her, although recommended range is indicted as 4’ 10 to 6’. We ordered the suspension seat-posts but these add at least 3’’ to the seat height which makes it too high for my wife. Sizing is perfect for my 5’ 7”, although I will have to get used to the upright “European” style riding position. My other bikes are all set-up with aggressive reach.

Test fit on rack
Dost 2.jpg

Hi, thanks for your first impressions. What make and model rack are you using? Appears the bikes fit fine. Any issues with the rack. We are looking for a rack which can handle weights of Dost bike.

I have purchased 2 Trek +2 Verve Step Through Bikes and a Thule Easy Rack, so our setup seems very similar to yours.
I have not yet tested mounting the Bikes on the rack, but it looks like I will have a similar challenge as they do not have crossbars so will need to clamp onto seat post. I plan to test an install this week sometime (still Winter here Toronto), and am hoping I will not need to purchase a cross bar

Rack is a Buzzrack Approach, $275 from Amazon but currently unavailable. Construction is sturdy and the rack works well with step-through bikes. It is heavy but light enough that I can fit by myself and it folds down for tailgate access. Clamps will attach to seat-tube or seat-post. I wanted to avoid purchasing a crossbar attachment which would add undesirable weight and complexity. The Buzzrack is rated at 110 lbs capacity which is at the limit for my 2 Drops sans batteries. The other option would have been a wheel clamp rack but I have read that they can be problematic with fenders. The Thule Easyrack has a similar clamping system but is more expensive and was not available when I bought my rack.

Attachments

• Buzz Rack 1.jpg
    Buzz Rack 1.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 370
  • Buzz Rack 2.jpg
    Buzz Rack 2.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 360
Rack is a Buzzrack Approach, $275 from Amazon but currently unavailable. Construction is sturdy and the rack works well with step-through bikes. It is heavy but light enough that I can fit by myself and it folds down for tailgate access. Clamps will attach to seat-tube or seat-post. I wanted to avoid purchasing a crossbar attachment which would add undesirable weight and complexity. The Buzzrack is rated at 110 lbs capacity which is at the limit for my 2 Drops sans batteries. The other option would have been a wheel clamp rack but I have read that they can be problematic with fenders. The Thule Easyrack has a similar clamping system but is more expensive and was not available when I bought my rack.
Thanks

Although our Drops arrived at the beginning of the year, it is only recently that I have begun to ride with any consistency. My experience with electric bike riding is limited. The Drop is the first/only electric bike I have ridden. I am, however, an experienced cyclist and maintain my own stable of road and mountain bikes, two of which I built myself from the frames up.

First impressions, as noted by others, the drop is a large heavy bike in the Dutch style. My wife was very intimidated by the Drop’s size and weight and has yet to ride her bike. On the road, the size and weight are much less noticeable as the bike is well-balanced, with ample power, and rolls easily on the excellent tires. Build quality and assembly are also great. After attaching the pedals with supplied tools, fitting the suspension seat post and mirror I ordered with the bikes, setting the adjustable stem to my liking, and charging the battery, it was ready to ride. I have also fitted an alarm, bell, and derailleur guard.

I have tried both the 9-and 5-level options for power assist and prefer the 5-level. Level 1 is sufficient for most of my riding, with a shift to level 2 for steep hills. I live at 4500 ft and most of my riding is either up or down hills, many of which would be considered steep. I hardly ever use the throttle and could easily live without this option. I do use all 9 of the rear cogs and shifting with the Altus rear derailleur is adequate. It is very easy to ride at 12-20 mph, which, although not peloton speed, I consider a fast road pace.

The Drop is a hill climbing beast. There is a very steep, twisty, narrow section of bike/walking trail near my house that I tend to ride down rather than up. I haven ridden up on both my mountain and road bikes, but it is difficult and potentially dangerous. At times, the bike is on the edge of stalling out, the front wheel gets very light, and it is too easy to drop of the path edge into the gravel gutter. I have done this once and, with clip in pedals, the inevitable outcome is crashing. The Dost will cruise up this hill with minimal effort and no fear.

Many people seem to prefer torque- over cadence-sensor pedal assist. My only experience is with cadence-sensor PAS. It does take a little getting used to as there is a slight delay before the motor kicks in and a mismatch between pedaling speed and motor speed can cause some chain whip. I do tend to ride quite quickly but could see that at slow speeds the sudden surge of power might be disconcerting at first. I do believe adjustments can be made to the controller that soften the power at lower levels of assist. For me it seems just a matter of learning to ride an electric bike, which I do find very different from regular cycling. The Dost’s motor cutout works very well and makes for easy PAS and gear changes.

Overall, I am enjoying my motor-assisted rides although it still feels like “cheating”. What I find particularly appealing is the casual nature of electric bike riding. Before, a bike ride meant a complete change of clothes, shoes etc. and a willingness to get hot, sweaty, and breathless. With all this effort, it did not seem worthwhile going out for less than an hour. With the Dost, I will happily hop on the bike in my everyday attire to run short errands or just to check out the neighborhood. Our mailbox is about 2 miles away at the bottom of a steep hill. Previously I would often use the car to collect our mail. My Dost is perfect for the job and, increasingly, I am choosing to take the long way home. Now all I need to do is get my wife to ride her bike.

Attached pictures were taken close to my house. One is of the bike trail I mention, the other is looking across Klamath Lake towards Mount Scott and Crater Lake National Park, OR.
IMG_20210407_092033.jpg
IMG_20210407_090848.jpg

Thanks for your great first impressions. As you have noticed and many others have with electric bikes, the sudden surge of power to the motor can be disconcerting until you adjust or the controller is adjusted. These Dosts seem like great long haul travelling bikes as well as general recreation bikes. I like the double batttery setup. Just wish Dost can sort our their supplier challenges to deliver bikes in under 30 days from purchase. I believe they are backlogged to late summer of 2021. Thanks also for great photos...beautiful location to live and bike.

Thank you for your kind comments. Yes, the electric hit feels a little like turbo lag on my old STI. I ordered the Dosts last August with a estimated delivery date of late October. They arrived Dec. 31. To be fair, availability of any electric bike last summer was slim to none.

Back