Adapting Shifter

jbrychka

I have a physical impairment with my right hand where I have issues with dexterity and weak fingers.

I am interested in purchasing the Juiced RipCurrent S or a Surface 604 Shred. I am concerned about being able to shift gears. They are both 9 speeds and the RipCurrent S has the Shimano Altus Mega-Lite Trigger and the Shred has the SRAM X5 Trigger. I can probably push the closest thumb lever but not sure on the second further lever. I tried a Pedego this past weekend and it seemed to have a similar shifter and I was unable to hit the further thumb lever of the two levers. I have also used the 7 speed Shimano SIS Index Thumb Shifter on the Rad bikes and it was a little awkward on the further lever but I could do it.

Do you have any recommendations for a different shifter mechanism or different options? I have seen the twister gear shifter that is part of the handle and I think that may work well for me. I have also seen the shifter on the brake so that may work on the left break but there would be a lot going on on the left side. If that was the option I took, I could see about moving the peddle assist control to the right side of the handlebars.

I appreciate your feedback.

Jim

Back