Accidentally bought a bicycle today

Akrotiri

Region
Europe
Today I headed over to my local LBS here in Belgium to buy some maintenance items for my analog Koga trekking bike that I bought in September. I leave my Trek allant8s in Greece for obvious (battery) reasons.

Had no intention on purchasing a bike but as I was there they were unloading a whole shipment of what was my first choice back in September; a steel frame VSF Fahrrad Manufaktr with the Shimano triple chain set in matte black. It was sold out back then and wasn’t going to be re-stocked until 2nd quarter of 2021 which turned out to be today.

I’m relatively happy with the Koga since it was my second choice and had the triple I needed but it has some incessant mildly annoying quirks.

The only paint options they offer are shiny not matte so on every sunny day the glare while I’m riding hits my eyes from the top tube even when wearing sunglasses and ofcourse on other instances when simply looking at the bike. It’s become very irritating that I have no intention on ever sending it to Greece which is my main residence. Defeats the purpose of having an analog bicycle in my view. It’s also aluminum frame which doesn’t make much sense for an analog trekking bike. The other issue is that it simply attracts too much of the wrong kind of attention and is a thief magnet. I have experienced on more than one occasion sketchy individuals loitering around it looking for the perfect opportunity to carry it away and steal it. I use a wheel lock and that would be the only way to steal it quickly. Further angering me is the fact that these individuals seem to be organized and have made a business out of stealing pricy well known brands.

Which brings me to the VSF which is not flashy, both literally and figuratively, has the same components, is €1000 less than my Koga and most importantly a steel frame. They were fully stocked and had my size so I paid for my maintenance items and then 70% of the bike sale price of only €1350. Quite the bargain since it’s basically the price of a new Bosch 625 battery.

They had Ergon gp3 bar ends in stock so those are going on and I already have new Shimano XT pedals and a spare Ergon ST gel saddle.They offered free of charge to swap the rigid stem for an adjustable incase I want a more upright riding position but I’m undecided and will wait until Tuesday to try both and decide. Shop is closed on Sunday and Monday is workshop day for them so no customers allowed. Very excited I purchased this bike. The adage timing is everything certainly applied to me today. If it’s as good as I think it will be I’m probably going to end up selling the Koga and I’m sure it won’t take long here since they seem to be in such demand for whatever reasons. Personally imo it’s a good solid brand but not deserving of all the hype it receives.

C17727F3-8AA0-4040-8F7D-DE637A389C44.jpeg
709CC3FA-C32A-4C56-99B2-40032270B27B.jpeg
ABE6959D-B8A9-4DAE-AC33-F35B446A872C.jpeg

That Fahrrad Manufaktr T500 looks like a great ride. I like the luck of the timing.

I had my own lucky timing in October last year. While looking at various frames (and getting increasingly depressed about not finding any stock) for a new build I stumbled onto a complete bike locally, in my size and on sale - https://www.radicaledge.ca/product/surly-bridge-club-27.5-1x-369415-1.htm It's very similar to the T500 (steel frame, rigid, 700c wheels (650b on the one I bought), etc.). In my case I then added a geared hub motor kit to it as well.

Are you going to leave the T500 as an analog bike or upgrade it to an ebike?

That Fahrrad Manufaktr T500 looks like a great ride. I like the luck of the timing.

I had my own lucky timing in October last year. While looking at various frames (and getting increasingly depressed about not finding any stock) for a new build I stumbled onto a complete bike locally, in my size and on sale - https://www.radicaledge.ca/product/surly-bridge-club-27.5-1x-369415-1.htm It's very similar to the T500 (steel frame, rigid, 700c wheels (650b on the one I bought), etc.). In my case I then added a geared hub motor kit to it as well.

Are you going to leave the T500 as an analog bike or upgrade it to an ebike?
So true, my timing to go to the lbs couldn’t have been better, all the stars lined up so to speak since I wanted it initially in September.

I’m happy that you were lucky enough and had the right timing also for your bridge club.

You’re right the BC is very similar to the T500 and if anything the BC is even more versatile. Very important during these broken supply chain times. The BC can take up to 2.4 wide tires in 27.5 set up or up to 2.0 in 700c both with fenders. It’s also compatible with a wide range of drivetrains (electric and analog). I think maybe even rohloff compatible too but I’m not 100% sure. I remember reading about it on Reddit and it’s by far the most popular surly bike on r/surlybikes.

I had thought about it too late last August but I knew it would be nearly impossible to find in the EU. Available yes when it’s in stock but not a lot of dealers carry them in the first place and add the pandemic to the equation I gave up on finding one from the beginning.

I’m going to keep the T500 as an analog since I have the trek allant as my main e-bike. Here in Belgium it’s all flat as a crepe and I can deal without the assistance of the motor/battery. While the opposite is true in Greece where my allant is and there I definitely need the help of my e-bike.

Had no intention on purchasing a bike but as I was there they were unloading a whole shipment of what was my first choice back in September; a steel frame VSF Fahrrad Manufaktur with the Shimano triple chain set in matte black. It was sold out back then and wasn’t going to be re-stocked until 2nd quarter of 2021 which turned out to be today.
How lucky you were! Due to the stupid lock down in my region, I have no opportunity to test, buy or rent a bike. But I'm not sure if I have the nerve to buy a bike spontaneously. The T-500 is a classic trekking bike and can be expanded in any direction, there is not much you can do wrong. However, I wouldn't be very happy with the colour, but this is practically always a matter of taste. 🍀

How lucky you were! Due to the stupid lock down in my region, I have no opportunity to test, buy or rent a bike. But I'm not sure if I have the nerve to buy a bike spontaneously. The T-500 is a classic trekking bike and can be expanded in any direction, there is not much you can do wrong. However, I wouldn't be very happy with the colour, but this is practically always a matter of taste. 🍀
Thank you.
Yes the lockdowns are a bit ridiculous now all things considered with the vaccines available.

I agree about the colour. I would always get either matte grey/silver or dark green. However black would be the only colour I would accept if I didn’t have a choice like this time. It’s neutral as can be. If the only colour available was for example red or yellow I wouldn’t have bought it.

Today I headed over to my local LBS here in Belgium to buy some maintenance items for my analog Koga trekking bike that I bought in September. I leave my Trek allant8s in Greece for obvious (battery) reasons.

Had no intention on purchasing a bike but as I was there they were unloading a whole shipment of what was my first choice back in September; a steel frame VSF Fahrrad Manufaktr with the Shimano triple chain set in matte black. It was sold out back then and wasn’t going to be re-stocked until 2nd quarter of 2021 which turned out to be today.

I’m relatively happy with the Koga since it was my second choice and had the triple I needed but it has some incessant mildly annoying quirks.

The only paint options they offer are shiny not matte so on every sunny day the glare while I’m riding hits my eyes from the top tube even when wearing sunglasses and ofcourse on other instances when simply looking at the bike. It’s become very irritating that I have no intention on ever sending it to Greece which is my main residence. Defeats the purpose of having an analog bicycle in my view. It’s also aluminum frame which doesn’t make much sense for an analog trekking bike. The other issue is that it simply attracts too much of the wrong kind of attention and is a thief magnet. I have experienced on more than one occasion sketchy individuals loitering around it looking for the perfect opportunity to carry it away and steal it. I use a wheel lock and that would be the only way to steal it quickly. Further angering me is the fact that these individuals seem to be organized and have made a business out of stealing pricy well known brands.

Which brings me to the VSF which is not flashy, both literally and figuratively, has the same components, is €1000 less than my Koga and most importantly a steel frame. They were fully stocked and had my size so I paid for my maintenance items and then 70% of the bike sale price of only €1350. Quite the bargain since it’s basically the price of a new Bosch 625 battery.

They had Ergon gp3 bar ends in stock so those are going on and I already have new Shimano XT pedals and a spare Ergon ST gel saddle.They offered free of charge to swap the rigid stem for an adjustable incase I want a more upright riding position but I’m undecided and will wait until Tuesday to try both and decide. Shop is closed on Sunday and Monday is workshop day for them so no customers allowed. Very excited I purchased this bike. The adage timing is everything certainly applied to me today. If it’s as good as I think it will be I’m probably going to end up selling the Koga and I’m sure it won’t take long here since they seem to be in such demand for whatever reasons. Personally imo it’s a good solid brand but not deserving of all the hype it receives.

View attachment 84380View attachment 84382View attachment 84381

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us! hahahaha There you are riding around and wham, you just happen to ride by your favorite LBS... :) Nice bike, welcome to the dark side.

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us! hahahaha There you are riding around and wham, you just happen to ride by your favorite LBS... :) Nice bike, welcome to the dark side.
And after a few rides I’m officially part of the dark side. Love the look in black.

I do have schwalbe hurricane tires on order, can’t wait to toss the schwalbe marathon supremes in the trash where they belong.

1263C7A4-8E54-485C-8CE6-1E4E669E9245.jpeg
72D8FC1D-4B97-4714-B4F8-A8ED2909A16D.jpeg

Finally got the Hurricane tires delivered and had them installed yesterday.

Still waiting on the Tubus Tara front low rider rack.

ACBD3EA8-8214-4F62-B3B1-935B4F4AC989.jpeg
A9EE29E1-0716-494B-895D-D6B63346A80A.jpeg
CADAB0BA-D796-467C-80BB-1E0BED7EFEBA.jpeg
Today to break the tires in I completed a 50 mile round trip tour of the local farm lands here. Quite spectacular bike paths and trails here in Belgium.

94E0EF52-DD14-410C-8DEB-42E90269491E.jpeg

Back