Abus vs. Pewag Security Chain

How much does your lock and sling weigh?

According to the spec sheet, the chain weighs 1.65 pound per foot. Therefore my chain is 6.6 pounds. My Viro model 4126 lock is listed as 1.92 pounds, so a total combined weight of 8.5 pounds. I've added a woven nylon sheath I bought for $1 a foot, but it is pretty light. After cutting the wrap to length, I dipped the cut ends into some tool handle plastic coating I got at Lowes, which worked out well.

I also found a plastic container at Dollar Tree @2 for $1, and wrapped it in black duct tape for added strength and color. It was flexible enough to conform to the space between the seat post and the rear rack, and I put the lock in it after wrapping the sheathed chain around the frame handle.

Trust me that this chain and lock combo are pretty sturdy and heavy. I have a lot of confidence in the security they provide. Total for each set was $80 per lock, $48 for chain, $4 for chain wrap, or $132 per bike. I figure with two bikes and two chains I can chain them together around a bike rack for even more security.

1595780549121.png

According to the spec sheet, the chain weighs 1.65 pound per foot. Therefore my chain is 6.6 pounds. My Viro model 4126 lock is listed as 1.92 pounds, so a total combined weight of 8.5 pounds. I've added a woven nylon sheath I bought for $1 a foot, but it is pretty light. After cutting the wrap to length, I dipped the cut ends into some tool handle plastic coating I got at Lowes, which worked out well.

I also found a plastic container at Dollar Tree @2 for $1, and wrapped it in black duct tape for added strength and color. It was flexible enough to conform to the space between the seat post and the rear rack, and I put the lock in it after wrapping the sheathed chain around the frame handle.

Trust me that this chain and lock combo are pretty sturdy and heavy. I have a lot of confidence in the security they provide. Total for each set was $80 per lock, $48 for chain, $4 for chain wrap, or $132 per bike. I figure with two bikes and two chains I can chain them together around a bike rack for even more security.

View attachment 60153
The old joke about bike locks ..." If you have a 20 lb bike, you 'll need 20 lbs of locks and chains to keep it, while a30 lb bike only needs 10 lbs of lock and chain, and if your bike is over 40 lbs, you don't need to lock your chain at all " just doesn't seem to work for ebikes . But chaining them together around a power pole or bike rack should work.

Last edited:
Got the 12mm Pewag today and gosh is it heavy! The Abus Granit is quite a heavy weight too. This combo isn’t for carrying around. Feels really secure.

2AE73B21-89A0-49CE-82B0-0B68CB2F2848.jpeg

The chain is 10 ft long. I wanted it that length for wrapping around a large column in my patio and a couple of bikes. I'd rate this at too heavy for a daily carry. YMMV at smaller lengths.

Maybe consider cutting the chain to a 4 & 6 foot length then just add another lock when you need the extra length. You'll be able to gain a little flexibility hopefully. One lock might even work for both shorter chains depending upon how you can arrange the bikes.

Back