Am I crazy to carry a 12 pound security chain around with me?

Yeah if you are using a cable lock you are just asking for your bike to get stolen. A 3/8 cable is smaller than a 5/8 cable and Kryptonite rates their 5/8 cable at a 3/10 rating. Even Kryptonites 3/4 Cable (20mm!) is only rated 4/10, all in all cables suck.

I've already had a ebike stolen because of a cable lock and naviety. Good luck with yours.

Last edited:
There are several YouTube videos that illustrate how vulnerable cables are to bolt cutter attacks. My opinion is that they have their place in conjunction with a primary lock system like a U lock or chain & padlock. I need to get one for my Cloud 9 seat and dropper post. I'm also switching to a security Torx seat post clamp vs. the current flip lock clamp. All we can do is slow the thieves down and make the next bike over more attractive to them.

I can't imagine a cable lock that is stronger than a chain...what are you using?
Not a cable lock. There are piles of those smashed near barricades in downtown Louisville. A wire rope sling. https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T14
T15 is a 1/2" stainless steel sling.
You want to sharpen your cable cutter for every theft, bring one, and a 30" log to set it on while you use the sledge hammer . My sling is up in the air.
I cut chain with a chisel hammer & tie plate. No $200 Morse fairbanks cable cutter required.

Last edited:
Not a cable lock. There are piles of those smashed near barricades in downtown Louisville. A wire rope sling. https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T14
T15 is a 1/2" stainless steel sling.
You want to sharpen your cable cutter for every theft, bring one, and a 30" log to set it on while you use the sledge hammer . My sling is up in the air.
I cut chain with a chisel hammer & tie plate. No $200 Morse fairbanks cable cutter required.

Sounds sturdy. How flexible is it for transport on a bike and use? 1/2” Stainless steel cable seems like it would be fairly stiff. How does it hold up to a portable angle grinder?

Sounds sturdy. How flexible is it for transport on a bike and use? 1/2” Stainless steel cable seems like it would be fairly stiff. How does it hold up to a portable angle grinder?
The 3/8" cable rolls up easily into a 15" coil 2" thick to fit in the pannier bag. 1/2" is a bit more of a fight, but my hands are comparitively weak. I have a 1/2" sling but use it for lifting logs and tractors, not security. Carried out to the summer camp in the pannier.
Angle grinder will cut the stuff, but comparing to 7/16" stainless bolts I cut at work, about 20 minutes with a 1800 watt grinder (wall powered) . Battery grinders are probably weaker than a 4 1/2" milwaukee 14 amp one. Also requires a bench mounted vise or a 2nd operator with a vise grip to hold the cable still for grinding.
Stainless doesn't melt out in blobs like carbon steel when you get it orange. You have to remove every grain mechanically.

Last edited:
With bikes that are heavy to lift, it makes sense to lock a wheel with an additional Ulock because a U-lock isn't much trouble to carry, but the bike is.

Back